Nervous Peeing in Dogs?

Discussion in Pets started by FlanneryCam • Aug 31, 2012.

1. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I have one dog and one CAT but I foster for my local humane society. I have a foster dog who is so submissive that she pees when she gets nervous. She's just a pup so I'm hoping that I can train her out of this/teach her that she can trust me.

But I need advice. How can I do this? How can I stop her nervous peeing?

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    It make take time to train them I think that pup was abused back then. They even pee when you just want to touch its head. It previous owner probably hurt that pup...

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Most puppies that do this will grow out of it in time as they gain better control over their bladder. A lot of dogs will do this when the excitment level in the house hold is up, like when someone comes home or a visitor shows up. Here is a link to some really good tips that you can try that may help.

Good luck!

4. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I have noticed that little dogs piddle when they get overly scared or excited. My mom had a miniature pincher and he would piddle whenever I would visit from pure happiness. I am unsure why they do it though. I have only seen the behavior in little dogs and not big ones.

5. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    She's going to be a big or medium sized dog. But I figured that by four months she would have decent bladder control. I guess I was wrong.

I will check out that link with the advice.

6. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think there is any way to change this involuntary behavior and I don't think it only happens to puppies. I have a couple of grown dogs who do this when I have been away for some time and they are so excited to see me again that they can't help piddling.

7. tknight123

tknight123New Member

Threads:
    What I would recommend is just comfort her. Perhaps give her a small treat whenever you see her. That may get her to become less nervous around you and people in general. Though it is a very hard habit for a dog to break.

8. Cate

CateNew Member

Threads:
    I think that you will find that it just takes some time and patience to break her of this habit. Rewarding her every time she pee’s outside and not yelling or punishing her when she makes a mistake indoors.

It also helps to make sure that you completely eliminate the smell of urine where she had her accident so that she is no longer able to smell it.

Since it seems to be happening due to nerves the best thing that you can do for her is provide her a consistent loving home.

In time you will find that she is less anxious and therefore less likely to pee or misbehave due to anxiety.

Best of luck with her!