My Experience With Magnesium Glycinate

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Sirius • Jan 17, 2018.

1. Sirius

SiriusMember

Threads:
    We have all heard about the benefits of the mineral magnesium - it's calming, it participates in energy production, it increases insulin sensitivity, it stops muscle spasms, it decreases blood pressure and is good for overall heart health.

After some research I did, it became clear there are different forms of supplemental magnesium: oxide, carbonate, citrate, glycinate, aspartate. They all have different bio availability and rate of absorption, with the oxide form being least absorbable. I read that chelated magnesium gets absorbed better in the intestine than all other forms, that's why I bought Doctor's Best Chelated Magnesium (magnesium glycinate).

I've been taking one tablet every day for the past month and, yes - it is very calming. To the point of being too calming..! A week after the first pill I noticed I was losing my drive and energy. I had become a little lethargic. There was no anxiety, no depression, but the feeling was that I was lacking adrenaline. I used to take magnesium citrate years ago and I didn't notice such effects with it, so I figured it must be the glycine molecule in Doctor's Best product.

I started researching glycine on the Internet. It's an amino acid. But.... it also acts as a neurotransmitter in the brain and spinal cord. And guess what - it is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, meaning it slows things down. Everything which slows things down would obviously decrease your adrenaline. Now it all makes sense.

I guess, I'm switching back to magnesium citrate.. :)

Have you guys had any experience with magnesium supplements? If you do, share you opinion. :)

2. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Cool sharing.