Mountains on the Ocean?

Discussion in Travel started by Moneysaver93 • May 7, 2012.

1. Moneysaver93

Moneysaver93Member

Threads:
    It seems there are two extremes when it comes to vacations. Some like the rugged mountains and the hiking involved in it, while others love the ocean and taking a walk on the beach at sunset. Which one is your favorite? Would you love the rugged mountains, or do you rather prefer the ocean?

2. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I love the closeness the mountains can provide you with God, but I also like the lapping of waves on the beach. So it really depends on what kind of vacation I want to have at any given time.

3. GrandmaHugme

GrandmaHugmeMember

Threads:
    After quite a few years on the planet, I find my spirit is replenished best near the ocean - and preferably ON the ocean. There is something about the vastness of it that puts my life into perspective. I do agree that mountains do have majesty and remind us that Nature had the perfect idea for us to thrive among the forest and meadows. But then take a deep water dive in the ocean with a dolphin or whale and see if your soul doesn't soar! As bad as our world seems to be sometimes, listening to the song of the whales and seeing how gentle something so huge can be - well, it just renews me beyond belief.

4. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    Since I'm afraid of heights, the ocean will calm me on a vacation. I don't have patience when it comes to climbing as I easily get tired. Swimming at the beach is definitely more fun for me!

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'm a beach baby as well. I love to see the mountains and take a drive through them, but I have health issues, and I can't manage the climbing these days. I don't see the point of putting myself through pain on vacation, so I go for a beach holiday with sight seeing trips between days on the beach. It's a nice mixture of relaxation and culture.

6. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Both for me. (-: I think it is a very good question. But I grew up in a city that has a big mountain right next to the ocean, in fact surrounded by two oceans...so to me, the two go hand in hand. And when it does not, I become a bit disappointed. However, even if I had to choose I cannot - I LOVE them both, so very very much.

7. dcprechtl

dcprechtlNew Member

Threads:
    Seeing as I live in the mountains and Have grown up near the ocean.. I like both and don't think I could choose one over the other. I love the ocean and the serene sounds it provides to me. Yet I love the mountains and the nature sounds of the animals that live here. For my family though , they love the mountains , we went to visit my family last year at the beach and after two days they wanted to go back home.

8. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    If I can have both, the ocean and the view on the mountains then that would be perfect.
    However, if I would have to chose between the two I would prefer the beach.

9. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    I love beach party and Sea sights water is so my element and i feel really happy while i make my journey to some water spot. Well i know both are nature's creations huge peaky mountains and rivers also attracts me a lot but only at the time while i am with a crazy fellows group. Both are adventures... :D

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on my mood and the season, of course. For example, if I still lived in California I would not want to go to Lake Tahoe in the summer, but I also would not really enjoy that much to go to San Diego in the winter. I will go to Lake Tahoe in the winter and San Diego in the summer!.

11. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Well i am a person who love to do both, while i am with friends i prefer to chose some adventures spot like some mountain attraction etc. But while i am planning to have a tour with some special friend or with family, parents use to chose some beautiful place like tat ones.

12. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    As I live by the sea I would have to say the mountains. I like a holiday that gives me something that I can do, such as visiting historical sites or places of interest. I like to see the culture and food of an area that I visit. My favourite kind of holiday is a two-centre holiday with one week spent inland and one week spent on the beach.

13. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Janemriesayad!! You shared impressive stuff by the way would you like to name few of your favourite mountains destination?

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am lucky in this particular matter. I have a home in North right in the lap of Himalayas with best hill resorts with in hours distance and I have my head office in a place down south. You would be surprised to note that when I am in south I have easy reach to three different oceans the Arabians, Indian Ocean and Bay of Bengal. We have some of the best beaches in our country. I love visiting both, the hills and beaches.

15. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I like the ocean because I live in the mountains already. Note, from where I live in East Tennessee, the beach is always exotic because it's nearly an 8-hour drive away. Nonetheless, some mountains equal the beach in exoticness in my view. For instance, the Rockies are way bigger than the mountains where I live, even the Blue Ridge ones. On top of that, several ranges worldwide like the Himalayas are even bigger than the Rockies. Finally, some mountains also look slightly different and offer an exotic foreign culture which is an appeal. You might find those in the Phillippines, New Zealand, Scotland, Norway, Korea, or Japan.

Note, from a savings point of view, seeing local mountains, is always cheaper, of course, and the nearby Clinch and Blue Ridge ones are spectacular.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am glad that I shall be living in one of the most beautiful places in the world having both the hills and sea beaches at the same place in New south wales in Australia. In fact north-west suburban area of Sydney right from Parrammata C.B.D where I have lived for a long time is the beginning point of hills district of this beautiful area. There is no secret about the fact if I tell you that there are over 100 famous beaches in Sydney area.

17. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My wife and I are ordinary travelers which mean we do not wish for extreme adventures. When we went to Singapore zoo, we were offered the River Safari where we would ride on a boat to tour the vicinities of the zoo. We declined because of the notice that we would get wet. We prefer to tour the city and the parks.

At the end of this month (January 2017), we have a trip to Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia and we probably made a mistake. As we are now checking on the place, Kota Kinabalu is more of a forest and water adventure. Perhaps this is the start of a paradigm shift provided we would enjoy. But in fairness to Kota Kinabalu, the hotel was much cheaper, about 50% of the cost compared to the hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

18. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think I like both,but l think the beach is a nice simple way to go through life though,and a beach that does not get so cold in the winter is my favorite. I like cooler weather in the winter on say the north florida beaches,but then again you can get a bit tired of hurricanes,if you live in these places and are not just a tourist of some kind there. But that said, most of these storms only do some slight damage and then go up in the mountains and flood people out sometimes. But I like the high country in the fall a lot when the leaves begin to fall and it would be nice to hike,so I would say lately I am trying to get to the mountains,but the fresh salt air is hard to beat as well. I like both these places very much though !

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @FolkArtist@FolkArtist Actually it's all about the weather conditions of the place where you normally live. If you live in a cold place then your preference would always be beaches but for people like where 8 months of the year are extremely hot and rest of them are cold in the range of 04-18 degree centigrade. So I always prefer to go to hills during summers and coastal areas while back in my original country. I have easy access to both hills and beaches although hills are closer to me.

20. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I love both options (I've traveled some times to both locations in different countries), but if I have to choose just one, I go with the ocean. I love the sea and all kinds of activities related to it.

The noise of the sea is mesmerizing and has calming effect on me. It's almost like magic. :cool: