Mother's Day

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by thisnthat • May 9, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    What's everyone doing for mother's day? What did you send or get for your mom?

We will probably go out to eat, although if we don't have dinner in a restaurant, my husband usually cooks whatever I want on the grill.

My mom always says she doesn't want anything, but she likes handmade stuff. So, instead of buying something random, I decided to buy some really nice, soft, yarn at the craft store and make her a bath mat. Where do you buy your craft supplies?

She got a new shower curtain, so I made it to match that. It's not a big, expensive, gift, but it's made with lots of love.

The shipping cost more than the supplies to make it, ha ha. That's okay though. She's more than worth it.

2. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    Mother's day is definitely significant day to everyone.It would be unthankful not to get your mom anything on this particular day.My mom insists on me no getting her a thing,but honestly I find every reason to get her atleast something small.This time round,I sent her a customised card with some cash.That way she would buy herself whatever she wanted.

3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I still haven't bought any gift to my mother, but I'll definitely buy something. I already have some ideas and I still have some time until the special date. :)

The only thing certain - at least until now - is that my father and I are going to make a special dinner for my mother. I'm pretty sure that she'll love it! ;)

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @Gad@Gad My mother is the same way. I usually end up sending a gift card, so she can pick something out. That just didn't feel too "special" though for a special day. So, this year, I started early and made her gift.

@Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit I can't wait until the last minute, since my mom doesn't live nearby. I have to get her gift ready to send off several days in advance. Well, to be honest, there are times when I have let the date sneak up on me. Then the shipping costs even more, since I have to use rush shipping. So, this year, I didn't wait too long. She should have her gift by Thursday.

#4May 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017
  5. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    @

That is so sweet and lovely. I am sure your mother will surely enjoy it. Plese, convey my wishes to her. I am now thinking of presenting a saree which is our traditional dress here. She loves that and it is affordable for me too. :)

6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @harijobs@harijobs Thank you for the kind words. I hope she is happy with it.

Oh, I have seen some gorgeous sarees. Really, quite beautiful and elegant and made with wonderful fabrics. Do you make them or buy them? Either way, I'm sure your mother will love her gift, since it's something so beautiful. I love getting something nice like that... something to make her feel even prettier. It sounds like a very nice idea.

Affordable is always good too. In fact, my mother is a very practical person. She would actually be upset with me if I spent a lot of money on a frivolous gift for her.

#6May 10, 2017
  7. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat If I were in your situation I would also anticipate to the maximum the purchase of the present. ;) I wouldn't want my mother to receive a special present at a late date (but anyway, any day would be the day to present her with something).

#7May 11, 2017
  8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My Mom is in Hospice, so this is a special Mother's Day this year. I always give my Mom for Mother's Day a card and jewelry. This year though she gets a Mother's Day week, with all her favorite things to nibble on that she likes. She doesn't like flowers and doesn't want any more jewelry, so we're going to celebrate with something from Marukai lunch counter and her favorite fried noodles. Mom is house bound already, so I can't go far too for I'm her caregiver. Luckily Marukai is just a half a block away, with almost everything we need. This Mother's Day is special, for us both. We're hoping for a miracles, that she beats cancer though and we're praying hard for miracles. Treasure the moments with each other and not only the day-being where I am in life now, I know it's true to treasure the moments with each other.

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was in the mall yesterday and you can guess that all stores have that sign of Mother’s Day. Truly, any celebration is for the benefit of commerce so the stores are always making a hype of it. And when I looked at the sale in some boutique, I don’t think the discounts were real because they seem to be expensive. And come to think of it, will mother be glad that I bought something expensive for her? Or would she be happier if we go out together with everyone and have a meal or maybe a trip to the swimming pool? And what about cooking my specialty meal for her? That’s my idea of Mother’s Day, doing something special instead of giving a gift. And why so? Ask you mother and surely she will tell you that she has lots of clothes already, lots of perfume and other accessories although she would still welcome such gifts.

10. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat Thanks a lot my friend. Just today I brought the saree and that is her favorite color pink. I have hidden it in a safe place and I want to surprise her with a breakfast in bed. :)

11. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I have a double mother's day because I buy a gift for my mother, but also for my wife on behalf of my kids, so it's a double expense haha. Not that they don't deserve it obviously, they certainly do. My mother I bought her some flowers, she is really happy with that all the time :), and for the wife a nice pendant with a family representation, so they were both glad. :)

12. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, you guys are sweet. Your mom and wife are very lucky to have you around for sure. Mother's Day had been a low key occasion for me for the past 20 years because I lost my mother quite early. I make sure, though, that I drop by and bring her flowers on her tomb. That is not to say that I just let the occasion pass, I'm teaching my child to treat Mother's Day as a special day so every time he remembers and greets me with a kiss, I always have a little something for him. Hopefully, he'll carry this tradition and treasure his future wife because after all, it's the mother who bore all the pain and made the most sacrifices to bring a child to this world. When my mom was alive, we always made sure that we greet her on Mother's Day although young as we were then, we almost always got the date/week mixed up. For our effort, she would always buy us a cake. I miss her!

13. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I missed the Indian Mother Day but I am planning to wish my mom tomorrow on Americans' s Mother day.

Since she is far away for any gift to reach her on time I am going to parcel her a gift through someone and even though it might reach her late it will be a great suprise.

14. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady I was not aware there was an Indian Mother Day, but from what you write I am assuming it's on a different day of the regular mother's day? For me mothers or fathers day is every single day, and the best gift we can give to our parents is our respect and our love.

#14May 13, 2017
  15. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately we were low on cash this year so I didn't do anything for my mom but just wished her a happy mothers day. My husband sent me a song and then when he got home from work sang it to me which was very meaningful. When I have some cash on me my family and I like going to dinner together at a nice restaurant or our favorite which is a buffet.

16. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Mother's Day in the UK is in March. My mum has gone now but my sister and I always light a candle for her on Mothers Day just to show we remember her. We always bought her something right from when we were little and she always appreciated it.

17. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    My mother and I live in different towns. However, at this time of the year, my mother has come to live with me. I don't need mother's day to show my gratitude and love. When she is away with me, I call her once in a while and send her gifts. However, this year since my mother is with me, I took her to a restaurant and bought her some dress.

18. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Fact, events overtook ,me that I hardly remember today is mother's day until I opened my Facebook account. I didn't quite do well to forget a very important day as this. So when I saw it was mother's day first I had to pick the phone to quickly talk with mum once again at length since I'm not currently in same town with her. As usual I am doing small of the needful and hope to improve more with time. Mothers are supreme!

19. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    @kamai@kamai This is the most important really, that we are with the people we love. If we don't have money we can write a letter, make a drawing, pick up some flowers, invite for a walk in the garden, there are so many simple gestures that have way so much more meaning than a gift. :)

#19May 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2017
  20. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    We have a special treat for my beloved, loving and caring wife. Her children had prepared something for her to humbly honor her as their ever caring and loving mother.

After we went to Church in the morning, my children, my grandchildren joined with my wife whom I treated her to a fast food for her favorite meal, then we had a posterity picture taking while we were eating. My wife was full of joy as noticed from her countenance. By the way, she is already 65 years old just like me.

And at home, her youngest son, my junior had prepared a beautiful tarpaulin with her mother's best solo picture and with a greetings of Mother's Day. There was also a regular size cake with Mother's Day inscription. Everything has favored and honored my wife, the mother of my six children. To sum it up, for me, a MOTHER is a MOdel Teacher (w)Ho Exemplifies Righteousness to her hubby and children, and even grandchildren.