More Inexpensive Alternatives To College

Discussion in Personal Finance started by NinetyEighty1 • Oct 16, 2017.

1. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Okay, I am a current college student who is currently within his junior year. I know this is a little late but I wanted to know what other options there would be for me that would help me with getting a good job and not have to pay thousands of dollars a semester. I just want to have a bit up a awareness of other opportunities. I wanted to go to this film school know as Film Connection, seems like a quick and affordable plan to help me out.

What about you all?

2. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I have not really got your point but if you mean have a job to depend on while still in school, you can apply for undergraduate jobs or even focus on your talent and make money from it.

If it is schools with low paying fee, then it all depends with your location and your preferences. You can also evalutae the market and see which skills and expertise are in high demand and salary is good. You can then enroll in that field and apply later after acquiring the skills.

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    There are alternative schools to college that can help you land a decent job depending on your inclinations and on your definition of a good job. A lot depends on your location, too. In our country, for instance, there are several vocational or technical schools that only charge 5% to 10% of what one typically spends at college. They offer courses like photography, caregiving (leading to nursing), housekeeping. computer network assembly, electrical installation, welding, cosmetology and hairdressing, dressmaking, tailoring, sewing industrial machine operations. automotive mechanics, appliances servicing, animation, call center services, and music enhancement. These courses have levels of qualifications and graduates go through government trade testing. A course can last from six months to two years. They are meant mostly to provide skills to individuals to help them start their own business or find local/foreign employment.

Most technical schools here are government-funded and some offer night or weekend classes so even those who are currently working can enroll and enhance their skills. I've taken weekend classes myself.

4. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think Khan academy, Codecademy and Lynda are more than enough. They can teach you far more skills than any other educational institutes. You can see that some of the options out there are going to be good enough. I suggest people to work on those sites. And see how your skills are going to improve. I think for this reason I'd prefer to have inexpensive online courses.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don’t think it is a good idea to skip college just to save money on the tuition fee every semester. A degree is important for a career and even here, you cannot be hired by big companies without a degree. Even those who have the so called certification trainings for IT courses, they can be hired but more likely they will be stuck in the entry level position unless they have a college degree.

6. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    You have a good point there, but I feel as though as time goes by, degrees in some fields don't hold as much importance as they use to. I feel as though I should of waited a bit longer before going to college to truly decide what I wanted to be. Now, that I chose my path I feel as though a degree won't hold much.