MegaBus for Cheap Travel Around US/UK/Canada

Discussion in Travel started by QuatreHiead • Jul 16, 2012.

1. QuatreHiead

QuatreHieadMember

Threads:

So if anyone is interested in some relatively cheap rates for traveling amongst nearby big cities in the US/UK/Canada you should really check out Mega Bus. A friend recommended it to me when I was considering different ways I can get between here and visiting my parents. It's a really Neat concept.

Unfortunately some flaws are it does not directly connect a lot of major cities and the times for departure and arrival for stops aren't lined up to go far from one place to another. As such the layovers can be a while. Another huge drawback is that since this is bus travel, it will be a lengthy trip. However, it's far less expensive than flying a majority of the time. Definitely so if you find you need to leave last minute.

I've not heard much feedback before. Anyone else used the service and can comment on it?

Major concerns on my family's part is how safe it really is for riding? How many people use it and what sort of people frequent the use? Very important points if you're traveling alone, however if you wanted to do a day trip somewhere not far it's probably could be a fun activity.

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I've never used Megabus, but my daughter and her friends have used it on numerous occasions to get from Plymouth to London in the UK. It's definitely a cheap way to travel - some of the savings are staggering. She's more than happy to recommend it to anyone. The buses are comfortable and reliable, and the drivers are friendly and professional, so she always looks forward to her trips.

3. psmith140

psmith140New Member

Threads:
    I use megabus all the time to travel from university to home. It costs £5 from Manchester to Wolverhampton! Compare this with national express which is £15!! It really is great value for money, the only problem is it is usually packed and the seats smell of sick! I suppose you pay budget you get budget, whereas NE is more luxury. But when your scraping by without much ££ it is the best option!

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I've heard that the Megabus can be really cheap and I just checked some of their prices. I would still choose Greyhound over the Megabus. First, Greyhound has WiFi, now the Megabus may have it also, I didn't check. But, the main point to it all is that it is the bus. That's already one of the cheapest ways to travel, so you have all sorts riding. Make that trip even cheaper and it is no telling who you may be sitting next to.

I couldn't do it.

5. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    It is VERY safe in my opinion, no complaints there. The bathrooms are always gross and the seats are very small and uncomfortable, but in that respect, frankly, you get what you pay for. The wifi is reasonably reliable. Traffic is variable but that is a part of travelling by bus. Overall I recommend them. They are affordable and safe. I prefer bolt bus, however, if you have that option. They are cleaner, comfier, and the wifi is far more reliable.

6. seanmcs

seanmcsNew Member

Threads:
    I am a university student, and it takes me almost 4 hours to get home from university when I need to. It also costs me £35 return every time. I have used Megabus on a number of occasions and i would happily recommend it to anyone looking for cheap travel. The key is to book early, if you book your journey with enough time (normally a couple of weeks) you can get long distance train tickets for as cheap as £1. When I first saw this, i couldn't believe the savings! I have also found that on some occasions the Megabus carriages were less busy than the regular train and I therefore had a more comfortable journey.

7. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I travel a lot and megabus saves me a ton of money when traveling to Canada. The money I save on transportation I use to buy food or souvenirs for my family. I think the pros outweigh the cons when traveling with Megabus. Most times it cost $150 round trip from my area when traveling to Canada by Greyhound or Trailways, so whenever I get a ticket from Megabus for $1-60 I always purchase it.

8. supergirl

supergirlMember

Threads:
    I always try and travel by Megabus on wednesdays in the UK because that's when any trip is only £5.

I recently took a trip to Amsterdam and it cost me £30 return for TWO people. That's going from London to P+R Coach station via Brussels. You take the ferry across from Dover, which is lovely because you get to walk around the deck and stretch your legs.

I really do recommend Megabus to anyone who is on a budget.