Lower priced train tickets?

Discussion in Travel started by Amanda K • Sep 28, 2014.

1. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I've only traveled by Amtrak once, and I'm planning a trip now that would involve travel by train. Is there a certain time to buy train tickets at a lower price-like plane tickets. Or, does anyone know of a way to get coupons or discount codes? Every dollar counts right now.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on your route and which train you are getting. You can get student discount with an ISIC card, AAA or military and a few others.

Also sign up for the rewards scheme as they offer certain routes at discounts which may coincide with your journey. Booking two one ways can be cheaper than a round trip so do a search for the one ways individually as they won't show up on a round trip search.

3. Bee14

Bee14New Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the suggestion Theo.I agree that applying for their discount cards,signing up for the email offers and getting their credit card will save you lots of money on your trips.I plan to book a train trip very soon and look forward to my first experience traveling by train.I have heard wonderful things about amtrak so I have no worries in the world right about now.If I find any other discount offers for cheap train tickets and offers I will definitely reply back to this thread.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We do not have such facility in our country but the government has amended the reservation policy in recent year. According to new rules a passenger pays extra if he books his ticket at eleventh hours. However the rules apply to the reservation charges only but the ticket price remain unchanged. I like Australia in this matter where on Sundays you can travel any distance or any number of times in city trains for $2.60. I have tried it a number of times that I paid $2.60 only what could be $100 or more on weekdays.