Low End Tablets

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by YamiPrem • Nov 1, 2012.

1. YamiPrem

YamiPremNew Member

Threads:
    Hello all,

What are your thoughts on these cheap Android tablets that have plagued the market these days?

Anyone use a no-name tablet, how do you feel about it? Is it lag-free?

2. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    There are really good cheap tablets but they are not really low-end. One good example is Ainol Novo tablets. They are really cheap but gives you an acceptable performance. Another is the Coby tablets. These are pretty good tablets too. I actually have one and I can say that it is really worth $200 for a 10 inch tablet.

3. HDHarper

HDHarperNew Member

Threads:
    Do either of these have the ability to support a separate keyboard, like you see with Ipads? Please forgive my ignorance. I am definitely not a techno wizard. I would like to find something similar to an Ipad with the separate little keyboard, you can purchase. Is that possible to do with these two brands?

4. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    I don't have anything against these just so long as they work. Like for example, I would get my parents a low end model. Not out of being cheap, but because I know how they are. They hardly ever use the tech they have. And I can't see myself blowing too much money over something they'll almost never use. Case in point, I bought my mother a Wii at launch. You can count the amount of times she's used it on one hand.

5. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    Low end tablets are fine as long as you don't expect too much from them. Be prepared for limited functionality and perhaps compatibility issues. I do agree with crossunitedfate that it really depends on who will use it and for what. If you don't need the advance features why pay for an expensive tablet. If you only use it as an eReader, document viewer and some light surfing with a bit of games low end ones are fine.

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I think both of the tablets I mentioned can support bluetooth keyboard as long as they have a bluetooth feature.

7. YamiPrem

YamiPremNew Member

Threads:
    Hmm, okay.

There are loads though. How does one go about weeding out the real deal?

I'm just paranoid and would probably just stick to Google or Asus, etc. :(

8. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, you get what you pay for. I had a friend who bought her son a $50 tablet off of e-bay. The thing was absolute junk. It didn't work from day 1. It was never able to connect to the internet, although it said that it was capable of doing so. It also had very poor graphics and loaded extremely slow. Sometimes it wouldn't even load at all. She sold it back on ebay and then went with an ipod touch. The differences between the two were incredible.

9. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I bought mine for about $170 (back in February) from a brand named Ainol with a 7" screen, which is one of the most popular ones in China. Have a look around any tablet owners forum and you'll probably find more people like me :p The specs are pretty good even though the processor (AllWinner A10) is not "the best" of its kind. It has 1GB of RAM, IPS screen, a very high resolution (don't remember how much exactly), front camera, HDMI output, etc. I use it to watch movies in HD (1080p and 720p) and it never has any issues at all - not even overheating. It just came with a couple dead pixels but it's a known problem for which the factory launched a new model. For what I paid though, I can't complain. The rest - wi-fi connection, apps, Google Play, etc. - works fine too.

I'm like you though, I wouldn't want to buy a tablet that was completely unbranded. I bought this one because I had read great reviews on it; otherwise, I would have saved my money. Not everything has to be made by Sony or Samsung though, there are smaller brands (or brands that are big in other countries) that have good products and don't cost as much.

10. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    I have one completely unbranded, el cheapo tablet, and for what I wanted it for (putting the overdrive app on it to read ebooks from the library) it works splendidly. It's got angry birds and spore and a few other games that work fine, but it wasn't bought to be a workhorse. My only complaint is that wireless reception on it is very weak. I need to be fairly near to my router to get it to access the internet.

11. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I had one of these, and it worked reasonably well, except that the touch screen was glitchy, and became more so the more I used it.

12. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    The cost of android tablets has been coming down so much that there is really no reason to go with one of the no name brands. I would never go that route,since the name brand ones are so affordable and come with a decent warranty and reputation. Another option is to get an older model of the more expensive tablets. These also very often come with warranties.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been reading a lot of positive reviews about those Ainol tablets, and I'm considering buying one because I intend to use it for just reading ebooks and watching movies. But I still don't know yet which model I should buy. I will only use it casually so there's really no need to buy an expensive tablet.

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a great idea. I could get a cheap tablet and install the Kindle app and download Kindle books. I could read other PDF files too.

I would go the Lenovo route though. They have a couple of inexpensive tablets, but still have the quality of Lenovo.

15. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    My sister has bought my 2 nephews a low end tablet each. It's and Android 4 tablet and looks just like the high end ones. The price is just so cheap and it's better for the kids since all they only do is just play games on it. It saved my sister lending them the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 she has as she was always worried the kids might break it.

16. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    They're always launching new models with ever better specs and cheaper prices, so whatever model you go for, it will kind of become 'old' in a matter of months; been there! :p

Depending on how much you want to spend, you can go for one with a small screen (7") or a larger one (9", 10"), single-core, dual-core, with an IPS screen... how much were you thinking on spending?

17. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    A really good way to avoid bad purchases is to search for the product on Amazon and read the reviews on it. You might even find it at an even better price on Amazon. If you can't find many reviews of the product anywhere (Amazon or anywhere else) then it's probably a risky purchase.

18. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    The 7 Inch Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Capacitive Multi-Touchscreen Widescreen 8GB, for $99, looks to be a pretty good deal. I need to get my daughter a tablet, she loves to read. The 7-inch Android, for $99 would be a good deal depending on the quality of the tablet and its durability.

19. saveraddict

saveraddictMember

Threads:
    In general I feel that if you know what you are doing you can get a very good deal. The thing to avoid is scraping the bottom of the barrel for prices. But if you go for higher than that you get great value for your money. Just the other day I saw a quad core 10.1 in tablet for $150. Now hat is a very high end tablet, and I would rather get this than a brand name one with much lower specs. In general "noname" companies like Ainol, Ramos etc. are starting to make a name for themselves, and have decent products.

20. Shirley1824

Shirley1824New Member

Threads:
    I received a coupon in the mail for a low end tablet for $19.99 it is a 7 inch tablet. We got it for my granddaughter this Christmas and she just loves it. She is 9 years old and loves to play games and read on it. We also purchased the 2 year warrantee and also purchased a case for it. The tablet was originally about $50.00. It came from a new store here in Towson Maryland that recently opened and this was one of their promotions for the holidays. You should of seen my granddaughters face when she opened this gift, she just loved it.