Letting Dogs Off Leash In Inappropriate Places

Discussion in Pets started by kate23 • Feb 11, 2015.

1. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I find it so bizarre how some people walk their dogs off leash in inappropriate places, where they could get hurt or bother other people. I have a neighbor that walks all around the neighborhood with their dogs not on leashes and lets the dogs walk way up in people's yards to go to the bathroom, and then they don't pick it up.

And then other neighbors that just let their dogs roam free when they're not even around. They could wander off and get hit by a car or get lost or attack someone's pets. There's these two that roam around outside of their house and act aggressive when I walk by with my dogs - we can't even go on the same road they're on or they come at us.

I would never walk my dogs off leash except in a field, a park, at the beach or similarly suitable areas and only if I was positive that my dogs would be well behaved and have good recall. Good recall is the most important thing I think. You never know what kind of situation might occur, you need to know that if you call your dog that it will definitely come back to you immediately.

2. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    You're preaching to the choir here. There are a lot of irresponsible dog owners out there that don't know better. They have no idea how to properly train their pets, what their energy levels are, or their general personalities. Personally, if you just get to know these three things about your dog, you can make an informed decision whether you should let it off the leash or not.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My old landlady was like this and I used to tell her off. I took her dogs out on a leash, all the time and she said I wouldn't be able to control them as they they are so fast (tiny dogs) so I proved her wrong and took them out on leashes as she had a back injury and couldn't take them out. Her point was that they should be off their leashes, but then she got caught and reprimanded by the police and another person reported her. Then the dogs came face to face with a coyote, she got no sympathy as everyone told her she should have them on a leash.

4. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I worked in a toy store for a resort town which in a tiny indoor mall which is part of a 3 block long open air mall, and I cannot tell you how many times people would let their dogs off the lease IN THE STORE. It happened several times every time and I'd have to go over and ask them to please keep their dogs on a lease when in the store and the mall. The kicker? You cannot walk your dog on the mall in the summer. So many bike cops had to tell people off.

The people would also let their dogs off the lease in the tiny "park" behind the mall. Except, it also says no walking dogs in that park, since its a tiny thing, surrounded by busy roads. And I mean, this park is SMALL. It's only a block and a half long, and half a block wide. So, it was extremely easy for dogs (or children for that matter!) to run into the road and get hit.

5. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I think any public place is inappropriate, as a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure it's illegal. I love animals and I think by letting them off leash you are not only putting people around you in danger, but you are also putting your pet in danger. I work in a cellular phone shop and it surprises me how many people have come into my store with a dog off leash.

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Even at the park or the beach it can be a potentially dangerous situation. I know we all feel that dogs are part of our family & they would never harm a fly but they ARE animals. Sometimes things happen that we wouldn't understand. Do YOU chase after cars when they pass you on the street? Do YOU chase a squirrel giving you dirty looks? Likely not.

You never know what can happen so it's always better to be safe than sorry. Having your dog on a leash protects you (in case anything goes awry) & protects the dog (in case there's a fight he/she cannot win).

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see a neighbor letting their dog walk around a lot. I guess the dog is well behaved and nobody is around besides the owner so it's not a really big deal to me except they don't clean up after them. It's one thing to not clean up if your dog is little sometimes so it would be like little peas you'd barely even see but this is a bigger dog and they do it all the time. The grass looks gross especially when combined with the cancer stick crap people throw on the ground. It's a nice neighborhood normally and they mess it up. But none of that even bothers me as much as leftover food. I was in a panic because Lily almost ate a chocolate cookie recently. People just don't care.

Haha (it's funny but it's not funny when I say this) Rocky would be the worst one to let off the leash. I can't even do that at the dog park where you're allowed to let them off. While he probably won't hurt a person just irritate them I wouldn't doubt he'd hurt another animal or at least be intimidating to one.

8. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    In our village, the situation of scattered dogs on the streets have worsened mid last year. Thank goodness our mayor took action and sent out roaming dog impounders. Before the year ended, the problem was significantly reduced. Hopefully, the owners of the dogs impounded would learn their lesson. These dog impounders are not that kind when they take your dog.

9. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I personally hate those people. Specially those that let their dogs roam around their yard with fences half the size of their dogs. I was once chased down by a German Sheppard who just leapt over a fence barely 2 feet tall. Luckily the owner got a hold of the dog before it can to me but the worst part is that the owner had the nerve to blame me for "getting way too close their fence".

10. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I also don't like to see dogs being walked wihtout a leash. I don't care how well trained the dog is they could still wonder off. Another thing that just angers me is when people leave their front gate wide open and leave their dogs their unrestrained. Not only could dogs come out and attack pedestrians, but they could also go out into the street then get hit by a car. We live next to a street and yet I have neighbors who do this. My two dogs are kept restrained in the back yard where the fence is higher and never brought out excpet on a lease.

11. Shannon Parris

Shannon ParrisNew Member

Threads:
    You never know what a dog is thinking. I never let my dogs off leash unless they are in a fenced in area and I know it is safe for them. I know other people that go hiking and things like that with their dogs and I cringe every time I see one off leash. Things can happen so fast.

12. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    @kate23@kate23 That is the way I am with my dogs. Anywhere near a road and I make sure that they are safely on a lead. Once I am away from the road, either in a park or the beach, I can then let them off of the lead and let them run around. Both of my dogs are good on recall, even if they can be a bit stubborn sometimes. I only have to call them over to me when it's time to go and we are getting nearer to the road.

There are some people who live near me who just let their dogs out. It's a busy road and I just don't understand why dog owners don't think of what could happen.

#12Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  13. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you! Though I like dogs, I am afraid of some dogs too as they are aggressive and they always bark. Who knows if they might come and bite me or my children? There are some dog owners here just let the dogs wander in the neighborhood too. These dogs still bark at us when they are kept in the house even if they have seen us hundred times and we did not treat them badly. Hence I am not sure if they might harm us, especially when I am walking with my young kids always.

I think the dog owners should be more responsible and considerate too.

14. nmcnul75

nmcnul75New Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you! Though I like dogs, I am afraid of some dogs too as they are aggressive and they always bark. Who knows if they might come and bite me or my children? There are some dog owners here just let the dogs wander in the neighborhood too. These dogs still bark at us when they are kept in the house even if they have seen us hundred times and we did not treat them badly. Hence I am not sure if they might harm us, especially when I am walking with my young kids always.

I think the dog owners should be more responsible and considerate too.

I completely agree. And I am a dog lover!!! I have a Pit Bull and I would never walk her without a leash. I wont even leave her in the yard without someone being out there. Its not fair to anyone else. The person next door to you might hate dogs they didnt choose to get one you did so take care of it. My dog is well trained but I am honest with myself...she is an animal and accidents can happen, not worth the risk

#14Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  15. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    It would be a good idea too for it to be compulsory to take your dog to a training school. That way owners could learn how to treat their pets.

16. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I'll never allow my dog to roam free and off leash beyond the confines of our gate. It isn't just about the dog attacking another human being, it's also about other animals, specially dogs, attacking her. I also don't want her to get pregnant out of wedlock :D. I don't understand why other pet owners would want to expose their dogs to the dangers that roaming around freely in streets may present. Dogs clearly need exercise and the dog owners can walk them around at a certain time to keep them happy but if they're living in a crowded area, they have to make sure that they have full control over the dog's actions. A dog off taken off leash might just eat anything it can find, including spoiled food or poisonous plant. It might cause ailment, poisoning, or even death. Besides this, they can be hit by a vehicle or caught by an impounding van. Some kids in my neighborhood shoot dogs and cats with pellet guns. Outside of the home, you simply can't control what other people can do to your dog.

17. Trixen

TrixenMember

Threads:
    Same here. Actually, I have to put my dog on a leash every time. I can let him go if there are high fences or if the place is safe. My dog can wander anywhere and might not be able to come back. I have a yorkshire terrier and he is the naughtiest little dog I've ever had. But I love him dearly.

18. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I have 2 dogs. One of them I can let off in the field in front of my house but my other dog is not good with other dogs so I keep her on the lead. I am a responsible dog owner and always carry a lead for both of them as you never know whether something unexpected might happen and I always pick up after them.

I have heard that the US has a problem with strays in some parts. The UK does not have any strays, at least not where I live, as they would be picked up by the dog pound immediately. When I first moved to the property I am in now, one of my dogs escaped and was picked up within the hour. I had to pay £50 to get him back.

19. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    It is more a rule than an exception here where owners leave their dogs to roam the streets and even visit neighbours. Our pet is safe inside. We have a high wall that protects our property from outside dogs getting in and our pet has no way to get out too. Preiti our pet is not leashed and we like it that way. As far as possible dogs should not be leashed if they are protected the way we have.

20. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    You just hope that people really take the responsibility part of pet ownership seriously, but of course this does not happen all the time. I would bet that 99 percent of the time it is a non issue but you can never be too safe these days.