Leather Footwear Should Not Get Wet

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Alexandoy • Jun 1, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently bought a pair of leather slippers in a shoe store. But before purchasing, I complained to the manager that my previous pair did not last long. The manager asked me how I used it and he suspected that it gets wet. When I admitted that I use it outside during the rainy season, he reasoned that even leather shoes has a shorter lifespan when used in the rain. So that’s a good advice. Now we know that leather shoes and slippers are for the dry season only to get your money’s worth.

2. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    I think that almost all type of shoes are bound to wear our when exposed to water. The only difference comes in the making. Some give in to tear and wear faster than others. I believe that leather, given its strength, can withstand rain than other materials. This can be enhanced through constant polishing and keeping one;s shoe in good condition. That way, a leather shoe will last a bit longer and save on the costs of purchasing another shoe. Alternatively, one could buy gumboots to save on costs during wet seasons.​

3. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it's common sense not to wear leather shoes during the rainy season because it will wear out more easily, but for the students and office-going people, they really don't have a choice, too bad for them. I also try to avoid using any type of footwear that has paste on them during the rainy season, so I go out using rubber slippers when it's raining. It can get wet and it will not disintegrate.

4. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Water dries oil out of the leather and makes it dry out stiff and hard and it also causes the leather to shrink. Therefore if you could avoid it, keep you leather shoe from water as much as you can. I have had leather shoes that had shrunk because of contact with water but the shrinkage seemed to be somewhat reversed eventually, maybe it's the polish that caused the improvement.

5. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    We never wear leather shoes during monsoon. It is not only because of that the shoes get wet, but also for that the wet feet cause cough and cold real quick.
    However, we can wear leather shoes almost throughout the year as rain is sparse. If ever a pair gets wet due to rain, I keep them outside the shoe cabinet so that it gets dried up before next use.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    The vendor is right as I used to sell leather items as well and one of the things we had to mention to the customer is to be careful not to wet them, we even gave them a special bag to store them in to protect them from humidity. Some people thought they wouldn't be affected since they were made of leather but almost everything can't survive as long when wet. There is a special cleaner for leather items to keep them like new for longer.

7. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    That is something really amazing and must say that will be really having such a surprising time as it. I am gonna have a fabulous time reading the posts.