Landlines to be discontinued

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by MrsJones • Dec 11, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    If you haven't gotten rid of your landline yet or if you're thinking about getting rid of you landline in the coming year or so, if it hasn't begun already, AT&T will not be offering landline service any more. Service will be provided through a modem. I was told this by one of their technicians who came out to service our landline and was asked if we wanted to switch. His explanation was very technical but apparently there will be something inside the phone lines that will talk to the modem, if there is a problem with your phone it can be traced and repaired remotely. Anyone who decides to keep their landline as is will continue to receive the same service that won't change.

The tech had to reset our modem so that our phone would ring he couldn't explain why that happened but did say that our calls were being routed through the modem and not the landline. :confused:

2. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I actually read up on this today through my local newspaper. It was talking about how AT&T wants to totally cut landline service to the rural areas. That's fine and dandy but what about the non tech savy elderly families? They won't have a clue about how a modem works. I will personally keep my landline through AT&T until I have no choice but to disconnect. I may just end up letting landline totally go and keep my cell phone up for all daily calling needs.

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I agree about the elderly not really having the concept of it all though from how it was explained to me the only change will be the addition of the modem. Hopefully that will put them at ease about the change.

I can't imagine not having a landline but I think the inevitable will happen. It's kind of like 'hanging on to momma's apron string.' My apprehension about cell phones is keeping it charged or it getting damaged then there's no way to communicate unless you have a spare that's been charged for such a situation.

4. Micheleteresa

MicheleteresaMember

Threads:
    AT&T is already no longer providing landline service in my area. I am unable to find any landline phone service for my area. I think its a bad move, it will effect jobs that depend upon having a stable, reliable phone connection.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    You have made a very good point. Even too, what are they (AT&T) doing with businesses? I wonder what the corporate stance is on this if they're a customer with AT &T?

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a good question regarding companies, they need landlines so perhaps they will continue for businesses only or make them pay a huge amount? It's not fair, just because the mobile technology has taken off and their profits have decreased.

In the UK they have increased the cost of line rental to compensate for this. The issue doesn't take into consideration people with that need landlines that don't have good reception where they are and also people who don't wish to use cellphones. People still use fax and need a landline connection for that, so it seems to be more about profit than a service.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's the way of the world these days. It's all about short term profit any more.

I'm glad I decided to quit AT & T's landline long before they came up with this. The monthly bill had gotten ridiculous anyway. I live in a rural area, so there were times that calling someone down the road a little way would cost me more than calling someone in another state. Everything was long distance, and the nearby "long distance" calls used to cost more than those that were further away. We eventually got a flat rate for all long distance calls, but the bill was still high.

8. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is long overdue. Most people either have a cell phone or using some sort of internet phone service like Google Talk that are free. Technology has come a long way and I think that it should be taken advantage of. Plus, dropping landlines would be one less bill to pay.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, that sounds interesting! America does it again, way ahead of the rest of the world. Although it may be commercially driven somehow, this doesn't really surprise me as people don't really use landlines as much anymore. Modern technology has moved on and we need to move right along with it. In Botswana most people don't have a landline due to the extortionate line rental fees. We only have it for our internet access and never call out on it.

The service doesn't change, but do the fees? -and like some people said, what of the elderly and not so technologically savvy?

10. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    This is a good question. Hopefully someone who has new service from AT &T will be able to share that information with us. I for one am definitely interested because I still have a landline and if getting this replacement service would save me some money I'd like to know how much.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My computer doesn't have a wireless card, it has an ethernet port. How am I supposed to get online without a landline? This forces people to upgrade or buy a computer with a wireless card. I also feel bad for all the little old ladies who only know how to use landlines to call the grandkids.

12. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    This reminds me when analog television went digital and everyone who didn't have satellite or cable needed to get a converter box just for local stations. I didn't like that change either. I've been searching the web for more info on this. Check out one article I found at

. If it doesn't come up search for AT&T ending land line service or something along those lines.

13. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    Verizon actually started doing that sometime ago, I have a land line still, but the service goes through a modem, the same modem runs my DSL for my internet. I actually do not use the land-line phone anymore. Since I have a cell phone I give that number to people I want to talk to any one else gets the land line number. I used to put an answering machine on it but then I realized that all I got was bill collectors and people trying to sell me stuff I didn't want. I don't even clear the machine anymore. Eventually I know I will be forced off.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I also think still having them around would be much better since they are a lot more reliable than turning everything digital, but I guess it was inevitable since it's hardly practical to keep up with maintaining an old product. We're a little behind in technology here though so I'm sure landlines here will still be around for at least over half a decade more.

15. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Mockingbird, when you service was switched to the modem do your phone bill change any through the process? Less or More?

16. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't know how I feel about this, because I like the idea of having a land line. One thing that I like about land lines is that if you have to call 911 in an emergency of some kind, even if you put the phone down or whatever, the phone company can trace that landline back to your exact address. I wonder if it is that way with a modem?
    I was on the phone with my cable company today and they were trying to get me to hook up my home phone to my cable modem, or something like that, offering me about 3 cable movie channels to do it:D. I declined the offer, I don't know though, I might give it a try.

17. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I don't think that it's time to get rid of landlines quite yet. Not only are the elderly going to have a difficult time with this but I'm not sure, I may be wrong here, but can 911 services find the location if you're unable to tell them your address? I know there's Life Line but not everyone has that. I know there are going to be a lot of people who are going to be hesitant to make this change.

18. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I have a land line through Century Link, but I don't know that it's really worth paying the extra money to keep a land line service these days. I like having a land line just in case I would need to call 911; however now with GPS tracking on the smart phones they can find your location fairly quickly using a smart phone, too.

19. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    We have to prepare our elderly relatives for this transition. Remember, some of the elderly were angry and resentful about the TV going digital. My state will transfere to that technology in 2017. Our security alarms are also hooked up through ATT's landline.
    Currently, I have the Comcast bundle. My telephone is on a modem.

20. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had landline for a few years now, i have no need for it. I have unlimited minutes on my mobile phone contract and use a mobile broadband stick for the internet. The only reason people have landline connections these days is for their broadband connections. The landline telephone service is very much secondary and becoming obsolete.

I have to admire how these huge telecom companies have re invented themselves to cope with the demise of the traditional telephone service. They seem to have seamlessy moved in to other areas of communication and are now at the forefront of the latest technology. Smaller companies would have gone under once the demand for their product or service demised or became outdated, the telecom giants however know how to cope with changing times and adapt accordingly.