Kiva

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by Collin1000 • Apr 3, 2012.

1. Collin1000

Collin1000Member

Threads:
    How many of you have tried Kiva?

It's a microloans site where you loan people $25 and then they repay the loan and you loan it back to someone else.

You can signup and use this link for a free $25 donation (only 1,000 left)

Let me know what you think or who you donate to!

2. meieden

meiedenNew Member

Threads:
    I've heard a lot of great things about Kiva and microloans in general. I have a couple of friends who use it, and they tell me it's awesome how you can track exactly how your loan is helping someone across the world to make their livelihood or fulfill their dream! Thanks for bringing up Kiva as an awesome charity. I know other organizations like World Vision also offer micro-loans.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks so much for this link. I have been wanting to get involved with Kiva for years, but just never got around to it. I funded a woman named Ann from Kenya who owns a scrap metal store. ;)

4. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    How cool! We should look out for Ann, she may be one of Africa's next big entrepreneurs. Yes, Kiva has an awesome reputation and would be one of the first organizations that I would support. Right now, immediate support is going elsewhere but Kiva is more likely than not...the next step. Thank you for this share, warmed my heart.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Awww. Thanks. I chose her because in the US, it's unusual for a woman to own a scrap metal shop. I can't imagine it being common in Kenya, but it maybe. I thought she must be one heck of a woman.

I told a couple of my friends and they made donations too! They are spreading the word about her and Kiva. I think she will be fully funded very soon.

6. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I have supported a few different people on Kiva and I think it's an awesome site. I try to spread the word to people about it. I think it's great that you can support so many people worldwide from your couch! Kiva also has an excellent repayment rate which people are surprised to hear about.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm updating this thread because the person who received the loan has made a loan payment. I received an email yesterday telling me that she has paid back 33% of the loan ahead of schedule. That put a big smile on my face. ;)

8. melbel

melbelNew Member

Threads:
    So cool that you guys are involved with Kiva. I joined Kiva several years ago and made one loan. It was paid back in full. I'd forgotten about it until just this Spring, when I made like six or seven more loans. They're all still paying them back, one borrower is way ahead of schedule. I'm really happy to be helping someone who may not have otherwise had the chance.

9. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of Kiva - can UK residents help too? Is it designed to help people from third world countries or can you help individuals closer to home? I guess I should check out the website instead of asking loads of questions here. :)

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I received another notice of payment. She has paid half of her loan ahead of schedule. It's very exciting. I really hope to get more involved with Kiva in the future.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Last update: Ann, the owner of the scrap metal shop has paid her loan in full. I have been so impressed with Kiva and the business owner I chose. I'm going to be making a bigger loan amount in mid-December. I rather do thatthen spend money on Christmas decorations.

#11Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Thanks for keeping this thread updated with your Kiva progress. :) I'm glad to hear that the woman you are helping sounds like she has done well with the loan you extended to her. I've only recently found out about this site, and have been wanting to try it out. Your updates have given me a lot more confidence in the site and its system so again thank you. :)

13. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    I used to fund loans on Kiva, but I was upset to find out that in some cases, there have been reports of these microloan places charging usurious amounts of interest and harassing some borrowers if they couldn't pay it back. And really, in some developing countries it's unrealistic to think someone will quickly be able to make enough money to pay back a loan with interest. I'd actually feel much more comfortable if I knew the loans would be treated as a gift or charity if the borrower couldn't pay it back right away, because some of the borrowers were actually driven to suicide.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used OPs link to make a free trial $25 loan. I chose a woman in the Philippines because she's my exact age and also a single mother, and also trying to start a small business.
    So she's like parallel me in another country and I wanted to help my long lost twin. :)

15. Collin1000

Collin1000Member

Threads:
    Not to bump an old thread, but Kiva just recently launched a sub-project, called Kiva Zip, which is zero interest direct loans. You are directly loaning money to the person - there's no middle loan agency. It is a bit riskier, but for people who are concerned about some of the less honorable loan middlemen, there is now Kiva Zip. I believe it is still invite-only, but you can take a look at

16. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Never knew about Kiva Zip, thanks so much.

I've been donating to Kiva for awhile now with my wife and fortunately have always had positive experiences. I love the aspect that it all comes around full circle in that you help someone gain some leverage in their respective realm, they pay back the loan once they're in that better place, then you can cycle that into someone else. On a smaller level, seems like a great way to stimulate the local economy while simultaneously teaching responsibility and accountability.

In the past I used to do video streams or fundraisers to raise awareness of Kiva. Such a great organization & the concept is great.