Kitty Litter?

Discussion in Pets started by PieFriday • Aug 3, 2016.

1. PieFriday

PieFridayNew Member

Threads:
    Hi there! I've got three kittens that live in my home, and they sure do know how to go through kitty litter quickly. I was wondering if anyone knows any tips for decent quality (preferably clumping) litter at a discount, or companies that often do promotional sales / buy-one-get-one type deals.

I've seen some coupons circulating before for Arm&Hammer brand, but that's about it. I'm just wondering if there's any others I might be missing out on or maybe even pet supply websites that track such sales?

Thank you!

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say check all the usual suspects DontPayFull.com, and some of the other coupon sites to find them. Many time the stores you shop at have their own coupons. I personally use generic and think that is the best way to go on cat littler. If you have a brand you really like, you could write to the company and praise their product or "like" their Facebook page for some potential coupons.

3. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I think that baking soda is very cheap and it even says on the box that it can be used as kitty litter. Baking soda is naturally odor absorbent. Baking soda is a lot cheaper than kitty litter at least in my area. That or you can mix both in to save kitty litter and a little extra money.

4. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I have four cats and yes they do go through a lot of litter! I use to use the clumping and use coupons, but now I use non clumping bags from Walmart that are around 1.16 for I think 5 pounds ( i like the small bags easier for me to handle, store and I like the quality of the natural litter (its in a green bag ). One because it is cheaper and I was finding with multiplier litter boxes and even scooping them daily I was still having to change the litter weekly or twice a week. So now I use two bags a week (I dump the boxes twice a week, scoop when needed and use half a bag in each, I have 2 boxes). I am still saving more money then I was spending on clumping. I spend a total of about 9 dollars on litter a month for all four cats, and they always have clean, fresh litter to use.

5. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Guess I'm not the only one doing this. True, it's more cheaper compared to buying Bentonite, all you have to do is to mix Baking Soda with Sand and it should be good already.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly. Some companies claim their kitty litter is more comfortable for the cat but I doubt it. They even cost too expensive. Cats will poop anywhere because I've seen them poop on concrete. Most of their claims are aimed towards gullible people or people that really don't know any better. Some love their cat and want the best but we sit on cold, hard porcelain seats too.

#6Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  7. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    First of all, Congrats on the 3 new kittens. :):):) I'm always happy to hear when cats/kittens/or any pets end up in a good home. I'll make this real easy for you, just go for Tidy Cats cat litter. It's cheap, (maybe about $1.99 per bag?) - My uncle buys it for us now but I used to buy it before he did, and I always remember it being one of the cheapest brands out there. But just because it doesn't cost much, does not mean it isn't high-quality. It truly is. It hardly has any dust, which is a huge plus when it comes to cats with allergies or asthma (I have two with these problems)...and cats in general don't like to kick up too much dust. TIDY CATS IS THE WAY TO GO. Best kitty litter, IMO.

tidy-cats.

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This was always one thing that I was able to find coupons for. I also know that there are those place where you can buy things in bulk, and that was great for this because you just buy a big old bucket and not have to spend for quite a while.

9. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    My senior cat lets us know that he wants to go outside to poo or pee, and his basin litter box doesn't require sand or soil for him to use it, but the kitten seems to need to see some soil for her to poo or pee on it. I actually don't buy cat sand at all, I just use dug up soil on our backyard. It's as "natural" as it can get, since that's how outdoor cats do it anyway, they cover their poo with soil.

10. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I toilet trained my cats so I won't have to deal with Kitty litter. Yes training was a struggle at first it but it saves me money. There is a product known as citykitty and it is a trainer for cats to make them pee and poo in the toilet instead of a litter box. My toilet bowl is auto flushing so I never had much issues. I save thousands of dollars a year because I don't need to buy kitty litter for the maintenance of my cats. I know many cat owners are against toilet training cats because seeing their poop means we can check how healthy they are but my cats regularly go to the vet.