Is Your Cat Licensed?

Discussion in Pets started by MrsJones • Feb 22, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I've always wondered why it's a big deal for dogs to be licensed (in US) and not cats. Well, after researching online some jurisdictions require licensing and some don't for cats. This may sound strange but I think that is a form of discrimination. It costs to license a dog every year the same should be for cats as well.

Do you live in an area that requires cats to be licensed? Do you live in an area where dogs are not required to be licensed? What are your thoughts?

Are cats required to be licensed?

pet-identification/pet-licensing/pet-license

2. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I think the only reason dogs are required to be licensed is that they're outdoors more where they come into contact with more people and have a bigger opportunity to escape. Most cats don't like going outside. With that being said, I have 2 cats that are licensed but only because the 1 is a therapy cat for my daughter who has Asperger's and 1 is a service animal, who goes everywhere I go because I have a lot of health issues she helps me with.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't even think cat licensing is a thing in Europe, so no, my cat is not. This is honestly the first time I've ever heard about that, heh.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I think it has to do with the fact that so many pet cats are kept in doors where as a good number of breeds of dogs reamain out doors most of the time. Also, it might have to do with the fact that dogs can go into attack mode and attack someone if they get out of their yard. Cat's don't really attack people so I guess that might be another reason why licensing them is not required in some areas. As for licensing my cats, I have them colors with their names on them but as far as licensing goes, no I haven't done it.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a 3rd world country, so obviously there is no licensing required for both cats and dogs. I do think that dogs need to be licensed as compared to cats because dogs are more dangerous and can bite people, like what has been said.

6. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Actually it is my first time to hear that a dog have to be licensed. In my country we dont have licensing for both dogs and cats. But we have association for responsible pet owners.

7. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    In my town, Huntsville, AL, both dogs and cats are required to have their rabies vacination and a city license. And both tags have to be on a collar, on the animal at all times. I have two dogs in my home and both are licensed and have their shots. The city license is much cheaper if the pet has been spayed or neutered. We also have a law requiring dogs to be on leashes if they are not inside a fenced yard. As a result, we have very few stray dogs.