Is There Insurance Against Terrorism?

Discussion in Insurance started by remnant • Nov 18, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There are numerous cases of terrorism around the world and the future looks bleak. Apart from loss of life and limb, entire businesses and building blocks are going up in smoke necessitating a form of insurance. Granted, these are random occurrences in some countries but its a clear and present danger in many others. Any companies offering the same?

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think insurance against terrorism comes under "force majeure" clause which does not give you any protection for damages due to terrorism. I think the need of the hour is that we should have protection under terrorism and not left dependent on government support only.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, there is insurance against terrorism as additional cover and not standard. It isn't an 'act of God' and I chose not to have it when I bought travel insurance. There is also terrorism cover for damage to buildings and other things, so it's quite a big market now.

4. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    In our country there is no insurance coverage against terrorism. During the armed conflict in our conflict, the communist destroyed public and private property and the insurance companies refused to compensate the loss citing a reason that it does not cover the damages done by the terrorists.

5. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    Some buildings and contents policies include it, if you want to protect your property against damage in a terrorist act. However you need to read the small print and check because it isn't always standard, and unless it is explicitly stated you may have trouble getting the insurance to pay out. There are special 'terrorism insurance' policies but those can be expensive.

Also in the US it varies state to state, but some states make it illegal for an insurer to exclude terrorism cover from general liability policies. You'd have to check depending on where you live.

6. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard about insurance against terrorism. It is a good policy and would certainly benefit the insuree more rather than the insurer. Deaths due to terrorism are very less when compared to those of accidents or other natural causes. It is a profit move for the insurance companies as they would be on the receiving end of a high amount of money.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wouldn't that fall under life insurance or travel insurance (if the incident happened in another country)? I do think that an insurance against terrorism is somewhat redundant, since other types of insurance such as those I have already mentioned above already have provisions concerning terrorism. It's just a matter of picking the right insurance plan and the right insurance provider.

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    It is good that certain places which are more prone to terrosist attacks have such facilities.

The places where this facility may not be there as a separate entity can still insure their properties under different policies.

9. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    There might not be any policy particularly for that, but the terms which are meant for accidental death might be applicable in such cases.
    However, even if the businesses introduce such a policy, there'll be minimal buyer. After all, for a less prone incident people will not be ready to pay premiums.

10. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    I have not heard about this type of insurance, maybe a insurance travel can accept to cover the damage caused to you.

11. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I happened to talk to an insurance underwriter and he told me that war or anything that is related with terrorism is not covered by an insurance. Since the time that insurance came to being, if war or any terrorism incidence is handled by the insurance company probably many had already gotten their insurance coverage.

12. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know that there is any insurance coverage relating to terrorism. I have seen some sort of exclusion for compensation for damages which might have resulted from acts of rioting and related activities. The policy specifically states that there will not be any compensation consideration for damages in this respect. Therefore, I am uncertain about the willingness of insurance entities to cover terrorism damages because of the great amount of destruction that these activities may cause. I will have to do some research to find out if there is really coverage for terrorism activity.

13. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    In my country, there is no insurance coverage against terrorism. I wish it would exist one because I live in Europe and as you know Isis made a lot of attacks here and I am sure they haven't stopped and many worse things will happen.
    I hate terrorists, will they know is to spread panic and terror in the world!

14. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    There is no insurance coverage against terriorism in our country Some insurance companies even do not cover the loss due to natural phenomena such as flood, earthquake because they say this is an act of God.

15. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know this exists (but if there is, I've never really heard of it)... However, I can't see much advantage in that. Besides, how would that work? It's kinda confusing. :confused:

16. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Terrorism and the robbery is not covered in most of the insurance clauses. So surely they are not covered. In fact even minor accidents these days are not included if done by third party. These days some of the clauses from the insurance companies are very serious. So you can see that it can be really something serious as well. That's something people have to check out as well.