Is There Any Way To Make Expired Milk Fresh?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by NinetyEighty1 • Jan 16, 2018.

1. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I know this sounds like a weird question but I am not the type that likes to waste food. I'm sure I am not the only one here who has had a carton of milk passed its expiration that with at least a good quarter of milk still inside of it. It just seems like a waste of food and money to through it away.

2. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I have read about adding baking soda to the milk that is past its expiration date. I have never tried it myself, but you could see if this works. Put the milk on for warming and then add a teaspoon of baking soda to the milk so it doesn't curdle. The soda would add a little funny smell to the milk but you could still use it.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Probably not, but the best way to use it up is to use it for baking, making scrambled eggs, or boil it and make a hot milky drink with it. Once heated it will kill off bacteria, or maybe use it in porridge. There is no need to waste it. If in doubt, heat it up!

4. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think you can make expired milk fresh. I have not used baking soda and I might check whether this works or not. By the way when milk expires, I use it to make other dishes. One good way is to add eggs, blend on bleder and then boil. Add sugar to taste.

5. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I just throw them away, though if the taste doesn't seem that sour I still mix it with my coffee or chocolate drink so that it won't go to waste.

6. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Even if the milk does not taste sour, it will immediately curdle when you add expired milk to hot tea or coffee and the drink will just taste awful.

7. Sirius

SiriusMember

Threads:
    I would personally throw it away, I don't want to risk it.

You can kill the bacteria by boiling it for a few minutes and you won't get sick if you drink it, but spoiled milk tastes horrible. Like Theo suggested, you can use it for baking. That's what my mother does when we have milk past the expiration date. She's like you, she doesn't want to waste food. :)

8. dane

daneMember

Threads:
    Once milk is expired, it's expired, and the only thing you will achieve by trying to make it fresh again is probably a runny stomach. I think that the suggestion to heat it up and use it for making beverages, baking, scrambling eggs and so on is your best bet. I do agree with you that no one likes to waste a whole carton of milk just because it's a little past its expiry date!

9. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    There is an Indian dish made of expired milk.

That thing is a popular snack in India. I am pretty sure there are more recipes on YouTube that needs spoiled milk. Seriously though I never let milk get spoiled. I drink them and use them while they are still fresh.

10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @nangk08@nangk08, Really? I didn't notice that, when I drink my coffee and chocolate they don't really taste sour. Sometimes I just give the milk to my cats.

11. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    When milk expires, we can change and keep it in a bottle and let it stay for around 3 days more. What you will get is a white thick layer on top and water at the bottom. What you do next is shake the bottle to mix the separated content. The result is similar to fermented milk that we always buy and consume with hard porridge. The only difference is that the one you kept in the bottle to give similar result is a little sour. I have ever done this and I didn't have a stomach upset.

12. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it makes a big difference whether the milk is natural raw milk that is starting to go sour, or whether it has been pasteurized and homogenized and is now spoiling.
    Natural raw milk will go sour , but it can still be used in that condition, and has traditionally been used to make butter, yogurt, or even kefir. It can be used in cooking, we have all heard of buttermilk biscuits and pancakes, and those are made with milk that has soured enough to be called buttermilk.
    If the milk is pasteurized, then it does not sour naturally, and will spoil instead. If you catch it quick enough, you can still use it for cooking, or to make yogurt with.
    If it is already smelling bad, then you should just throw it out, give it to the dogs or cats.

13. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    There is a presumption that a refrigerated milk will last for three months. In that state ii will appear like lumpy and yellow and yucky looking and it's still safe to drink. In other words, if it's properly refrigerated, the whole milk's expiration date is five days after the "sell-by" date.

But for me, I would venture not to use expired milk due to food poisoning. I would rather throw it away.

14. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    That is indeed strange! I must have added such milk to my tea countless number of times and it simply got spoiled EACH time! :eek:

15. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    It certainly doesn't taste very nice if it has gone off and it is put in tea plus you can get bits floating on the top which is quite off putting. If it is only slightly off it is unlikely to make you ill and as others have said you can heat it and use it in something like porridge. Thankfully in our house milk is usually used up quickly so doesn't have time to go off.

16. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I have a very sensitive stomach so if I as much as taste expired milk (or any other expired food), I get really sick. For my fresh produce like bread, milk and fruits, I always buy in small quantities and use within 48 hrs. A trick I have learnt for bread is to store in the freezer up to a week. This keeps it fresh. Just pop into the microwave for about a minute or 2. It is funny though, in my country, there is a meal prepared with processed sour milk. I have had it a couple of times and it was delicious.:)

17. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    In have never heard that before. I have indeed been discarding expired milk all the time. But thank God I have learned a few tips on how to reverse that.

18. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Please do away with expired food and drinks, it's not safe for consumption no matter how much you think you could make it to be consumable. It has serious side effects after consumption. I can still remember vividly having food poisoning back then as a result of eating expired or sour meat. Your health is much more important than conserving food, expired food at that.

19. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I'm surprise to read about this trying to use again expired milk. Well maybe it's possible to reuse or make fresh again expired milk but I think that should be newly expired ones. Personally I wouldn't like to consume milk that was expired. I would buy small quantities that I'm sure to finish before the expiration time.

20. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I make such dishes myself occasionally and they are all totally delicious! However, most of the times, we Indians mostly use fresh milk to which lemon juice is added to curdle the milk for preparing those sweets. Cottage cheese is also made in the same way. But sometimes when the milk does become sour, we can strain it out, mix the solids with a little sugar and keep stirring it over low heat until it dries. Add cardamom powder and a little nutmeg. You have a tasty sweet dessert.