Is Sharpie Worth The Extra Cost?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by Zyni • Jan 19, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    While price is always a big consideration for me, value is actually more important. With that in mind, I ask you, my savvy friends if Sharpies are a good value. They are very Handy and can be used for tons of stuff, but I usually just grab other, cheap, permanent markers.

What say you crafters? My daughter swears that Sharpie, and only Sharpie, will do. She has so many, it's practically become an investment, ha ha.

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I use Sharpie markers for a ton of different things and have a variety of colors. The colors do not fade and you can write on just about any surface with them. I highly recommend that you invest in a set of these markers. The only thing they are not good for is writing on paper because they tend to bleed.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sharpies are great, but as an artist, I think Bic Mark It are just as good and come in some gorgeous colors. Bic Mark It are also a little cheaper. I don't agree that just any cheap permanent marker will do, but I think Bic Mark It and Sakura Identipen are just as good as Sharpies and I use whichever one of these brands is on sale.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have a few other favorite brands and they are definitely worth the extra cost. However, if I'm just using them for regular things like writing down something for temporary use then I'd usually have a few generic brands on hand as well just so I don't end up wasting what I consider the premium ones that I would use for crafts. I'm not too rigid about these rules since convenience is still the most important to me but it does help to have backups for lower priority tasks so I don't end up finishing up my main pens too soon and end up having to buy more.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I don't think I've heard of either brand, but I'll look around. I don't mind spending a little more if it's really worth it. I just don't like getting ripped off, you know? I might just have to see if I can order some of these and check them out.

As everyone noted, it does depend on what you're using them for. I tend to use them for craft projects, and that's what I was referring to. I can use the generic ones for simply labeling the odd item.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only use Sharpies to mark up items, they bleed so I don't like to write with them. I don't really use Sharpies often. I use the generic pens to color in my coloring book.

7. MichelleVL

MichelleVLMember

Threads:
    Oh my God Zyni, when you compare owning Sharpies to an investment, I totally understand what you are referring to. I have a 12 year old that is an avid Anime and Manga little artist I could say, and well drawing is her passion so she uses Sharpie markers everyday. These means that every month or so I have to buy more Sharpies. I usually have to purchase the ones with the very fine tip, and those usually last 3 months. Since she uses the black marker the most, then that one I replace monthly. If I buy any other brand they're gone by the end of the week.

8. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I love Sharpies! Especially all the nifty colors they are making now! Particularly, I love the ones that are fine and extra fine tip are really helpful. The finer tips make it easier to read if you are writing more than more word with them. I find the fatter ones sometimes make the letters hard to read. Sharpies as a brand are worth it because I feel they do last longer if you are careful to always replace the cap on them.