Is purchasing a trip last minute better than far advance?

Discussion in Travel started by BargainPhoenix • Apr 27, 2013.

1. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    A month ago I decided to go to Florida the week that my sister is taking her kids this summer. By the time she told me about the trip it was too late for me to put in my deposit with the group deal her and a friend of hers put together through some type of traveling company. I have a trip planned for my birthday this fall but would love to get away in the summer too. Plus I'd love to witness my young niece and nephew experience Orlando for the first time. I'm not a mom so I live vicariously through my sisters. Anyway, I told her that when I'm comfortable I'll just purchase a package for myself staying in the same hotel they are staying in. Last month when I went on Expedia.com to price the flight and hotel together it was $847. I checked it again yesterday and it was $770. I'm curious to know which way the price will fluctuate in the next few weeks when I'll be ready to purchase.

I know most people usually plan their trips a bit far out in advance but is there an advantage in waiting for a last minute deal? Is it a good strategy for saving? I guess I'll find out by experience myself when I'm ready to purchase my trip. After I purchase I'll probably go on the site again about 2 weeks before to check the price for the same dates. I was just curious to know now if there is common knowledge about this and if someone makes it a habit of purchasing trips last minute and if it works to save money.

2. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know for sure, it is usually better to buy in advance because they usually give you a discount on the ticket when you buy ahead. But from what you are saying it looks like the price keeps going down, I think if I were you I would call and ask them if the price is going to keep changing and if it would be cheaper for you to wait and buy it the last minute or if you would save more by buying in advance, ask them what kind of discount you would receive for buying in advance.

3. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the importance of the trip and in which season you want to travel in. There are times that buying a ticket at the last minute is really, really expensive, so it's better to just plan ahead and buy it at least one month before the trip, if not more.

4. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    It's always best to pay for your ticket in advance. You can get discounts by doing so. Sometimes, when you buy right on the same day; airlines could take that opportunity to rip you off.

5. marciana

marcianaMember

Threads:
    Airlines offer huge discounts and promos but these are to be booked now but to be used on a far latter date, so yeah, that's basically buying in advance. Actually, the promo fare dictates on when we are travelling. We plan the travel according to the date when the promo is to be applied. Like for instance, we learned of a Dubai promo to be purchased on May 2013 but to be used in May of 2014. It is really a tempting offer, so low that my husband agreed on buying it. So, we are going to be in Dubai in 2014!

6. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I think it really depends.
    I think that most people would say that last minute might be the best option but that only applies to if you are a risk taker type of person. There are many programs which give great last minute deals such as Groupon so if you are able to long in a few days before the plane is to leave you might get a great deal on your trip.

7. dagz16

dagz16New Member

Threads:
    I would always book in advance for vacations. If you want to experience Orlando, then you have to reserve resturants that are in the park in advance, if not it's extremely hard to dine at the popular restruants with short notice. Plus, I think it's too stressful to paln a trip at the last minute.

8. himalipatel

himalipatelMember

Threads:
    it is better to buy a ticket in advance because you never know when price will increase. Some times airlines decrease price in last mints but it is in rare case. Its not decided when it will increase or decrease. it is possible day by day price of ticket is increase so it is advisable suggestion by me that you should have to book ticket in advance.

#8Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013