Is Paypal The Safest Method For Online Transactions?

Discussion in Payment Methods started by luckycharm • Oct 7, 2016.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I never used Paypal for online shopping, instead I use my credit or debit card for making payments. I wonder if it is safe to give our card details to a third party like PayPal. Are there any security issues present? I know PayPal is one of the oldest players in online money transactions, but still I feel quite skeptical about this.

Once I read about the experience of a person wherein his whole bank account was drained off by a scammer through his PayPal account. I don’t know how the scammer could intrude into his PayPal account! It happened at night while he was sleeping and his mobile phone was in silent mode. In the morning he was startled to saw a series of SMS in his mobile showing various online shopping transactions which had been carried out through his PayPal account. The scammer used his PayPal account for online shopping which was linked to his bank account.

2. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    PayPal is a great and safe way for buyers to purchase things both online and in retail stores. Luckily for the guy in your post, he will most likely get all that money refunded as he can just claim unauthorized access. However PayPal is not always the best for seller as when things like the above happen, it can be difficult to claim back the money you lost for sending out the item. I was selling online xbox membership codes and was scammed. I lost both the codes and the money I spent buying them while the buyer ran off happily after claiming that he was hacked

3. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I'm considering PayPal as one of the safest way to do online transactions particularly in paying or receiving money online. I've been using PayPal for a few months now and I can say that it's very convenient and fast, although the transaction fee is a bit high, or should I say fair because of the quality and service that it provides to it's users worldwide, not to mention that it's perhaps the most popular method that's being used in online transactions.

4. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    There's no online payment processor that's 100% safe and that includes Paypal along with even your own bank so I wouldn't let stories like that stop me from using them. Paypal is about as safe as it gets, and I've been using them for a number of years now and never had any issues with them.

Logging on to your Paypal account and using that to purchase goods online, is just as safe as using your debit card as that is also linked to your bank account, and the only way to make sure you stop scammers from hacking in, is to maybe set up a separate bank account and only have in there the exact amount you are going to spend. At least that way if the account does get hacked, there won't be any money in there for them to take.

5. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    It is very well known that April 2014, PayPal UK was attacked by fraudsters from dark web and many accounts on PayPal was compromised including I was also affected party. How ever, kind of corrective actions PayPal took is commendable as PayPal helped me lot to recover funds compared to my credit card bank - Standard Chartered ( Despite OTP was enabled on credit card my account was compromised and bank simply refuse to accept it as fraud where PayPal accepted the ownership of being compromised).

Now there are so many options are opened other than PayPal to accept payments such as Payoneer which you can explore.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have my paypal account for almost 2 years now and I'd say it is one of the best if not the best online depository. My online earnings go directly to my Paypal account and I can spend it any time. But my intention is to withdraw the balance into my bank account so I can have the cash. Maybe there are other depository like Payza and they may also be good but I really cannot say because my only experience is Paypal.

7. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I really have not heard anything bad about them in regards to security and privacy, and so that is what I am going off of. I do not think that I am missing something, but I guess you never really know what a company is until something drastic happens. Fingers crossed then I guess.

8. Nathan047

Nathan047New Member

Threads:
    I think that Paypal is the safest way to make transactions online. The biggest reason I think that they are the safest is because they cover fraud. As @James-M@James-M pointed out, they'll refund just about any fraud, unlike my bank, who says I'm responsible for unauthorized use of my debit card (in fact, Paypal is a little to buyer orientated if you ask me, just look at the lawsuit they just faced).

And not only are they probably the safest, but they're also the most widely accepted form of online transactions. Most any website accepts them, and Paypal offers a MasterCard for merchants that don't.

9. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I think PayPal is the safest way of doing online transaction I have been experiencing relative comfort since I started using PayPal for my online purchases. I haven't heard any negative report about them. My take, with advancement in tech I am hoping for a strong system to detect and catch scammers even after perpetuating scam.

10. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    Generally, PayPal is protected when you utilize it to send cash. Nothing is totally chance free, glitches and information breaks are conceivable anyplace , however PayPal is a legitimate organization with enough security (and shopper insurance) worked into keep you moderately safe on the web.

You actually need each exchange to bring about shared pick up, yet what's useful for purchasers isn't generally useful for merchants. On the off chance that you maintain a business, it's critical to get paid for the items and administrations you give.

Most organizations that utilization PayPal for installments observe it to be superbly sheltered; they get paid pretty much as they expect, and misrepresentation is minimal more than an uncommon inconvenience. Nonetheless, there are a lot of awfulness stories from merchants who feel that PayPal hung them out to dry. There are two sides to each story, however there are sufficient stories out there that organizations ought to pay heed before expecting that PayPal is sheltered.

11. haivu721vn

haivu721vnMember

Threads:
    Nothing is 100% free. But I am sure that Paypal is much safer than any physical banks today. However, that also make Paypal the most popular target for hackers.
    Yet there are many people got their account hacked, but it's mostly users's fault. They lost their passwords to phising. It's nothing to do with Paypal's security for now.

12. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used PayPal for online shopping because the funds are not stored on it anyways and I find it a hassle to go through it.

It is easier to use COD or other methods of payment. The lesser sensitive information you put in the web the better I feel.

13. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Since paypal gives buyer's protection you can dispute your transaction in case you did not receive the product that you actually bought or it arrived damaged or different from what it was explained on the store. If your claim is valid, you are given 100 percent refunds.

14. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Personally yes. I have been using PayPal as my money processor for my online transactions. I made purchases online and pay them via PayPal. I received my payment for my online writing job through PayPal. PayPal has been serving for almost 5 years for I started blogging on 2011. Out of those year, I never found any problem with PayPal.

15. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I use PayPal only as the payment processor for my online earnings, and the bank account that is linked with PayPal has least deposit. For online shopping, I use credit cards or cash transactions. However, PayPal has a widespread credibility though web is never protected from hackers.

16. haivu721vn

haivu721vnMember

Threads:
    COD shipping isn't available on international shipping. Also, not all local stores accept COD.
    Usually, the shipping cost would be lowered if you opt to pay using Paypal.
    Anyway you're right that COD is easier but I would still recommend you that you should pay with Paypal. If there's a problem with the quality of the product, you will get your money back easier.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In our case we are not allowed to use PayPal for shopping but we can use it for transferring our incoming funds to our bank accounts. We can't even receive funds if someone sends it as gift or in personal capacity but we have to mention the services rendered for earning that money. So we have no choice whatsoever for spending PayPal money but to ransfer it to our bank account which is done automatically with a hefty fee charged by PayPal.

18. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    In my experience, there is no other payment method as safe as paypal. If you buy something and pay via paypal and you don't receive your item, or receive damaged piece, then you can file a dispute. You can get partial or full refund. You can file a dispute for the transaction that is upto 6 months old. This option is available only on payza, but you have to file the dispute within 45 days.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In fact we have no option of using PayPal for shopping purpose. In our case it is one way traffic which means that you can only ask for money in your account under certain heads but you can not spend it. The money goes to to your bank account within 24 hours and that's all you can do with PayPal.

20. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    It seems like paypal is more secure and worthy of using. And the transactions are quick. And the bank transfer is also reasonable. Though there are more options available. People need to find out more alternatives. You know the reason the online transactions require some level of the understanding for other payment processor. Paypal seems to be fairly easy on that part. I like that for sure.