Is It Adviceable To Buy Old Phones?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Jasmin Cottontail • Dec 3, 2016.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would not suggest you to buy an old phone. There are more than one reasons behind my theory-
    1. No one sells his phone unless he gets tired of it or it gives him problems
    2. The version has too few facilities
    3. The battery is not reliable
    4. There might be defects beyond repair

2. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 I think she is not talking about used phones. She is talking about new phone but old models. So phone is new, but old model.

The only problem I see in this thing is that she will get old specification phone with this.

#22Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2017
  3. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 Okay that was a mistake as I overlooked the old phone thing and what I feel that old version of phones may or may not adjust with new technology so if the OP intends to buy a phone as back up phone or just as a second phone she should still go for a new model even if it's a cheaper brand. The only consideration should be space and battery backup in my humble opinion.

4. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 Yes even I think it will lag with performance. Old model may be available in cheap rate but then using it as daily driver may be not the good option. But if one is needed only basic stuff then I think it will be okay. I too suggest to go with the latest one only.

#24Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2017
  5. arachnophobik

arachnophobikMember

Threads:
    Yes, it's not as bad as you might think if you consider the quality first. Some used phones are actually very smooth still because they were well taken care of and the owners just wanted to sell them to upgrade to the latest phones. I myself have used swappa to buy my used phones and so far I don't really have anything bad to say about them.

6. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think it would be a wise idea to buy an old phone. There are frequent changes in the requirements for many of those applications which you might be able to access on the phone and you may find that your phone specs are outdated for accesing those services, therefore, it's best to have the latest level of technology that you able to.

7. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I personally think that old phones is a bad investment. Not only because old phones are ageing devices. And they are likely to give you less return on investment. Also their repairs and other issues may make you give up on the device just like the owner did. I think that is one reason you should avoid buying old phones. Also do note that instead of buying old phones, you can buy new one with low specs at cheaper price. That's something I have seen most of the time. In such case however you have to understand that low specs are better than high specs old phone.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no issues with old phones (Not used but older version) but the problem with them is that they do not have modern features and in some cases do not have compatibility with newer network requirements. Like most of those older versions would not work with 4g. I do not want to go in technical details but if you know about different bandwidths a phone working with 850 Megahertz will not work with 900.

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    The way that things change anymore these days I would say it is probably best to suck it up and get a newer one, unless you just keep planning on replacing with the cheaper versions. A good old cost benefit anaylsis seems appropriate here.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @larryl332@larryl332 I agree with you- go for a new phone and if you want to save money save by buying cheaper phones without going deeper in what facilities these phones are offering to you. Trust me more than half of us do not use all the facilities provided by new costly phones. I would rather say almost 75% have never used all the features of latest phones but buy them just for the sake of "Latest".

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Oh those arent "new" phones, they're refurbished and with a new case and accessories. I bought a couple of those phones for my phone collection, but I only used one until it broke, and it lasted 8 mos. and it's not repairable anymore since the motherboard conked out. So stick to those less than $30 so that your money won't go to waste if it breaks before the warranty is over.

12. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I would never advise anyone to buy an old phone, since mobile phones generally have a short life span therefore your purchase is not worth it.

13. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I don't advise you to buy an old phone, you will surely need new batteries for it, a charger maybe....You should buy a new phone generation at second hand. Thre are good and almost new cell phones for only 50 dollars. It will surely cost you more to buy an old cell phone.

14. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    My answer to that is depends on the seller. There are great sellers that repairs phone and making them as good as new ones.I gave this name many times but Iretron is really good at this.

On the other hand avoid those back alley sellers and sketchy pawnshops as much as possible.

15. Mahi

MahiMember

Threads:
    I don't think buying an old phone is a good idea. Nowadays, technology has upgraded so much then why do you want to buy something with old features. If money is the consent then you can buy a new phone online by applying promo codes to get more discount on your purchase. Well, there are few mobile phones which you will get under 10K -

16. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    From my experience, I suggest you to not buy anything from 7 or 8 years ago. 3 or 4 years is okay because it's has an easy access to chargers or any cellphone accesories. I had a hard time looking for a certain charger for my old phone and I didn't find any so I bought a new phone instead.

17. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    If usage is normal, just for calling and few other purpose, then it can be okay. Otherwise even 3 or 4 years old technology will not able to keep up the performance with current apps, games and few other things. These days smart phone market is quite at peak, and technology is getting older in just 12 months. So if one needed better performance then better to go with latest stuff.