Is couchsurfing safe?

Discussion in Travel started by Gelsemium • Mar 6, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if everyone has heard about couch-surfing, it's a concept where you make your couch available for travelers for free. It's great for the traveler, but at the same time I don't know if I would feel save at a stranger house or receiving one. How do you feel about this?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think it's great for some people, but it's not for me. I would love to be able to meet people this way, whether by having them on my couch or by surfing myself, but I just don't feel like it's safe for me personally. While I think most people will be using it safely and responsibly and with good intentions, it's the few that will abuse it that are the concern unfortunately.

3. erikao1o

erikao1oMember

Threads:
    I've participated in couchsurfing in a few ways, but I've never "surfed" at anyone's house. When I used to live in Seoul, I hosted one girl at my house and we had a lot of fun. I was lucky enough to have an extra bedroom, so she slept there. She was super friendly and clean, she even brought me some gifts from Japan! I was able to give her information about Seoul, we went out to the bars together and we ate together. I've also gone to some couchsurfing meetups, the people at the meetups are usually really cool and have a lot of travel stories to share. I recommend couchsurfing to everyone!

4. emilyrose93

emilyrose93Member

Threads:
    I have couch-surfed quite a bit, both surfing and hosting. There are a lot of security measures in place with couch-surfing. You can verify your address and phone number on the site, so people know that's actually where you live, and also there is a feedback system where people leave feedback for the people they've stayed with or hosted. Just make sure you carefully read their feedback and it should be fine.

I think Erikao1os experience is quite typical and similar to the ones I have had! All the people I have stayed with were very nice, and all the people I have hosted were lovely. We did have one unfortunately situation where an iPod went missing from my Dads house (he also used to host couch-surfers), but he had about five people staying with him at once so it was impossible to know who did it. After that he stopped hosting couch-surfers, which I think was a little bit unfair, that one person ruined it for everyone.

There is a lot of couch-surfing etiquette that needs to be kept in mind if you are couch-surfing. Remember that a stranger has opened their home to you, and respect that. Do not go into rooms that aren't yours or communal. I always try to do things like doing their dishes or bake a cake for them, as a way to say thank you. Ask them for their opinions on what to do and see while you're in their city. Bringing a gift like Erikao1os couch-surfer did was really nice and a great idea. I've never been to a couch-surfing meet-up but I bet they would be a lot of fun and they would all have awesome stories.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Great reviews emily and erika! I suppose if there is feedback on a certain user that will be tranquilizing, knowing that people stayed there safely or with no issues or that, on the other hand, that user is friendly to receive. Thanks for the feedback!

Impossible to do with kids though.

6. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    With the crimes that we hear about all the time, I would not really want to do couchsurfing at all. I think it's very unsafe and it puts your family at risk too. The only time I would do it is if I personally know the person who will stay at my house. However, if it's just a random visitor, I guess I will pass.

If you are a traveler, there are other cheaper options such as backpacker hotels. You do not really need to bother a family to be able to get a cheap or free accommodation. If you travel, you should make sure that you allocate a certain budget for that so that you won't have to bother other people.

7. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    I don't know if I would ever go couchsurfing. As a woman who travels alone it just doesn't seem safe to me. I wouldn't want to stay with people who I don't know in a country that I have never been to with little knowledge of the language and customs. I would not feel safe or comfortable at all.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    A woman traveling alone can be more tricky indeed, but check the reviews from other users, you can stay at another woman's place with good reviews, sounds safe enough to me. I think it's actually might sound more risky than it actually is. And just imagine what we could save!!

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a couple of friends that already did couchsurfing, both as the house host and as a traveler. They liked it and swear it's safe. But for me personally, I think it's too risky. You never know who you'll meet, and you are in their house, or this person is in ypur house. .. I applaud those that are brave to do that, because they save a lot of money, but it's not for me.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    If couch surfing was available a few years ago when I was single with no kids and (still lol) not much money I would definitely try it. There are loads of cheap flights, so with free acommodation we can see the world for a bargain. :)

11. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like hosting families is a great idea. I've hosted two Japanese students at my house in California and it was an incredible experience. However, I have never experienced a 'couchsurfer' in my home. We simply gave them our extra guest room. It was a nice experience because we were able to see each others' cultures and we could see their reactions to first time things in California. For example, their reaction to biting an In N' Out Burger was priceless. It's nice seeing them experience the country in a whole new light.

12. ap4aaron

ap4aaronNew Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I would not couch-surf. Many people nowadays would have people come into their home just to rob or mug them. However, couch-surfing is also a great way to make new connections. Also, it can help you get more comfortable around strangers.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think that many couchsurfers could be as lucky as those two Japanese students and they can arrive at a place and instead of a couch having a room expecting them. Why have you decided to host strangers? How long did they stay at your place?

14. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    I think it's safe. I've never done it though, and don't plan on doing it, but it's not the safety I'm worried about. It just isn't for me, I prefer to take a hotel or a hostel... I feel more comfortable that way.

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, no doubt is more comfortable to stay at a hotel or a hostel, but for people that are totally broke and want to travel it's a valid option. And I bet there are also those that prefer to stay at someone's place just for the interaction.

16. Nicole87

Nicole87Member

Threads:
    I'd say it's at the very least a bit risky. Especially for girls. If you do want to do it, make sure you only couchsurf on the couches of people that have a lot of good reviews on couchsurfing's website.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I agree with that Nicole, it would be necessary for a very adventurous girl to go to the couch of some unknown guy lol, unless if that is exactly what's she's looking for. Travelling with someone also reduces the risk of something going wrong, being alone is always more dangerous.

18. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    That's true, it's safer with more people but you need a pretty roomy couch to host several people :)
    I've never tried it myself, but it might be a fun experience

19. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think I need to explore properly those couch-surfing sites or communities, I am pretty sure they say how many people they can receive simultaneously and eventually when they are available or not. Well, they need to have a really cool interface to do all that.

20. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    Obviously this is not safe. There are all sorts of weirdo's, and criminals out there. They search for this type of opportunity to do their dirty work. You can not trust anyone these days.