Is Brand Name Stationery Worth The Extra Cost?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by cocolgooh • Feb 24, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I don't tend to buy brand name stationery for use at home, or for work. I find that most of the time the generic cheaper brands do the job so those are what I stick to. I find that even if cheaper Pens, for example, run out of ink more quickly than name brand ones might, the cost saving still makes them worth their cost.

Are there any products you think are worth spending more on?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are a business woman and doing well it's a good idea to get custom stationary to naturally impress all clients and future clients. It's all showy and style when you're so successful that you got to show it, so custom stationary from pens to envelopes would be great like getting a letter from the President of America, you expect custom and quality brand stationary. For me from home I just use a store bought stationary or get a card from the store for my stationary to show I care to those people who are receiving my communications.

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good take on it, I think. That it can be a way to express your status. I hadn't really thought about it like that but I suppose if you have the money and wish to personalise everything it can certainly be a way to make your company more prestigious.

I'm like you though in that I just work from home and for me the majority of the time, I'll just use the cheapest products I can get my hands on that will get me through whatever I need it to do.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do think that there is a difference in the quality of the stationary, if we are going to compare that of Bic, to that of Parker type stationary. But most everyday people do not require quality stationary in order to get through the day, so a Bic pen or brand is satisfying for most. I am unlikely to buy expensive stationary when I can get it for cheaper and get more or less the same quality.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't even buy stationary nowadays, and the last time I wrote a letter I had it printed in a bond paper. When it comes to paper you always get what you pay for, I remember those cheaper notebooks having thin paper as compared to the more expensive ones, so I guess if you're not particular with the quality then you can go for the cheaper one.

6. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    It all depends on the product and the brand. I'd say that more expensive pens are worth the extra cost - they are usually thinner and write more smooth and are more comfortable in your hand. If you have to write a lot, like I do, then I'd spend a bit more on a good pen. If you just need to write a to-do list once in a while, a cheap Bic pen would be satisfying. However, I never saw the point in buying expensive notebooks like Moleskine, for example. I can get basically the same for a few dollars - it's just paper.

7. juancarlos

juancarlosMember

Threads:
    While cost is dependably a major thought for me, quality is entirely essential. I can utilize the non specific ones for basically naming the odd thing. I have a couple of other most loved brands and they are certainly justified regardless of the additional expense.

8. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    What is needed is something that will effectively execute the task, therefore, I don't see the need for expensive, just- for-show, material to do the job. I may not go for the cheapest stuff at all times because sometimes the quality of the material may pose an operational problem but I will always seek to have the most reasonable type of stationery at the lowest cost at which it may be had.

9. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    Good quality photo paper, sharpeners, pens, colored pencils, glue and typewriting paper are what I usually spend so much on because I like crafting very much. I also sometimes buy crafted stickers to add to my scrapbook. I've been making one for my son because he already has so many pictures and I want them to be nicer to look at. Good quality supplies are always worth the money since they tend to last longer.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's hit and miss because you can find some good quality generic items, for example I like Dollar Tree gel pens and I buy Paper Mate and Bic, but they pens only last so long any how.

As for things like notebooks, you can find good quality ones that aren't branded. You can't generalize because some places have good items and others don't. A brand does confer better quality, but they maybe as good as the generic brand.

11. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    For me, back when I was in college, I always buy mid-range to high-end pens. So the brands are usually Pilot, Zebra and the likes. There was even a time that I bought a pen that's considered higher end, you know, those pens that are heavier and made of metal. And for me, they're all worth it because I have a particular preference for pens. I like pens with a smooth and thin writing. I always get this urge to write more whenever my pen is like this.

But when it comes to notebooks, yellow pads and all other office items... I can go with brand-less or generic brands. I think it doesn't matter much with these items because they're just going to be written with. As long as my pen works as I like, then I'm good to go. I can even write in leaves, just kidding!

I think when it comes to writing love letters or giving a card to people I care about, that's also the time I'd spend more than use generic brands. But usually, stationery items like this have cheaper versions that are still cute. So that's a great option, buying cheap items that can actually work for people.

12. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Brand name stationery comes at an extra cost but pays dividends in the long term. Its reliable in terms of quality and durability. Some people go for cheaper versions only to learn that cheap is expensive in the long run. However, you have to be careful not to buy counterfeits.

13. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen that stationary worth the extra effort. You can see that stationary has it's own set of the issues. If there does not have enough sales those can be wasted. And another thing is that stationary is often required unless the effort is properly spent selling the stuff. I have noticed that some stationary items like envelope and other stuff is not needed if you don't have that much sales. Keep it limited to business cards and letterhead during initial stage of business.

14. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    It's the quality of service or product that you're selling and not the brand of stationery that will catch your clients' attention. In most occasions, generic brands will do as long as it carries your letterhead and is professional-looking enough. I usually find store branded specialty paper which are at par with branded ones. In any case, you would want your brand to stand out, not the stationery's. When it comes to pens, I use the most reliable ball point pen at the office and this brand also happens to be one of the cheapest brands in the local market but if I have to go out and meet a client, I make sure that I bring a branded one along.

15. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I remember that the cheap notebooks have really thin and crappy paper as compared to the branded ones like Cattleya, so for me notebooks are worth the extra cost when it comes to buying paper products.

16. juan dela cruz

juan dela cruzMember

Threads:
    When it comes to this kind of office supply I tend to just spend the right amount based on it's appearance. When I said appearance I mean that it must be formal and clean. I do not use those quality that is so poor and looks cheap for professional and formal use. For personal use I will just buy the cheapest one to save money. I try to balance quality and quantity in these type of purchase,

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I never buy branded stationary as I have found good stationary that is not costly and may even have the same or close to the same quality of the more expensive items. One just needs to know how to chose and know where to buy or even try to buy the stationary that is branded when it is discounted. Low in price does not always mean it is cheap in quality.