Innovations To Reduce Electricity Bills

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by remnant • Nov 13, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Instead of using some electric equipment in your home, you can use your own homemade innovations to reduce the electricity bill. For instance, a charcoal cooler is a good replaceament for a fridge and so is bright colouring of rooms to reduce the possibility of switching on the lights when its dim during cloudy and rainy or dull days. Do you have such innovations?

2. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    You are absolutely right. There are many ways to reduce electricity use at home. I usually iron my clothes on a weekly basis that means I iron them altogether at once. We can save a lot of energy as it uses less electricity. Otherwise if we use it daily it will take a lot of power to reheat it. It also saves a considerable amount of time.

Another thing is to do things like water pumping, ironing of clothes etc during non-peak hours. During peak hours rate of electricity is higher than non-peak hours. Putting your electronic gadgets to auto sleep mode also saves a lot of electricity. A major part of the power is being used to lighten the monitors. Hibernating put your PC in to a temporary shutdown mode.

3. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    Well, we have brightly colored rooms. I doubt it was to reduce the bill but I guess it works sometimes. What I do, is just unplug anything that isn't being used. That helps with the bill a lot. After I started unplugging my stove, my bill tanked so much.

4. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it's not really an innovation but if I am going to use a computer I only use a laptop since I'm not a heavy gamer or much better if you own a Raspberry PI. When I drink water I drink water at room temperature unless I have to drink coffee or tea, this way we can avoid using water dispensers and the fridge. Instead of using air conditioners and always stick with Electric Fans, that's one good way of saving electricity unless of course you live in places that uses room heaters. If you have a fireplace, I guess use that instead of using radiators. When it comes to lighting, we use LEDs instead of Incandescent or Fluorescent lamps.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of a nice product I saw a little bit ago for the dryer. It just sits on the bottom of the dryer and it makes the heat move a lot more efficiently, and advertised some pretty crazy savings. I think they over did it a little with the estimates, but still it seemed like it would be effective.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    One thing that comes into my mind in reducing our electricity consumption to, in effect, reduce our ,monthly bill is to replace our incandescent lamps and fluorescent lamps to a LED light kind of bulbs. I have learned and read the electricity this lamp may consume.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have installed foam insulators in between the roof and the ceiling. The carpenter said that it will reduce the heat that is absorbed by the house for the insulation will block the heat. With our windows that is hit by the afternoon sun, we use the car windshield shade for cover so the rays of the sun will not enter our house. For sure, we have saved something in the electric consumption of the air conditioning system.

8. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    • Autonomous vehicles. Most cars today sit idle the majority of the time. If cars could drive themselves, they could be easily shared or offered as a service, radically improving utilization rates. This would reduce consumption of vehicles, which are very resource intensive to build.
    • Composite electric vehicles. Vehicles with composite chassis and bodies and electric motors can be far lighter than conventional metal, combustion-engine vehicles, reducing consumption of metal mining and the power required for those processes (at the expense of mining metals for batteries).
    • Smart power grids. Smoothing power consumption to round off the peaks (allowing us to have fewer power plants) and bring more transparency to costs (enabling consumers to know how much they can save by changing behavior, hopefully).

9. AlexZ

AlexZMember

Threads:
    Manage your Load! I am not sure if this option will be available in future or is currently available with you by your local electricity supplier but it is something very popular these days and is in practice in many 1st world countries. It is called "Demand side Management". The motive is to curtail the peak load demand by luring consumers with attractive tariffs based upon time of consumption. In simple words, you will be charged lesser for same quantity of power consumed in off peak period than in Peak hours of a day. So you shall start managing your load, consume at a time of a day when tariff is lower and vice versa when tariff is higher. This will bring substantial change in your power bills.

10. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    We use alternate sets of electric fans depending on the weather/temperature. When the weather is cool, we use the low wattage fans (40-watts) and when the weather is hot, we use the more powerful electric fans with higher wattage (60 to 75). We also have trees and plants around the house which cools the environment naturally.

11. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have brightly colored papers on my wall, just the fine milk color which sometimes give the room sparkle. One main step I take to lower my energy consumption is ensure I unplug all my electrical appliances before leaving the house. I'd always ensure lights not in use at the moment, like lights in the convenience or kitchen are always put off.

12. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I have solar power installed in my home. I use solar energy to light my house as well for water heating purpose. I use electricity only when I am using items that need high voltage such as fridge, water pump, electric heater. After installing solar power my electricity bills have reduced by 50 percent.

13. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Since the electricity bill was arriving with very high costs we opted to get rid of the washer and wash by hand. Well we didn''t really get rid of it to save electricity but other personal reasons but it sure did cut the water and electricity bill by 25%.

14. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Up until now I have really just depended on being smart and turning things off and things like that, but the more that I think about the more I know that there are things out there that can help. I plan on looking into this a little more, but then again who knows if I will get to it.