Inexpensive Dog Food

Discussion in Pets started by toradrake • Dec 4, 2014.

1. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have been scouring the net for a inexpensive dog food and have yet to find one, at least not one I would like to give my dogs. I discovered that it is both cheaper and healthier to just make the dog food yourself. Here is a reciepe for a homemade dog food that will save you money and your dogs will love it.

2 cups brown rice (you can also use brown and wild rice mix or just wild rice. White rice is not really good for them.)
    1 lb of any meat (ground turkey is the cheapest but you can use scrap meat, chicken skin, or any meat you want.)
    4 cups of any vegetable mix you want (you can use fresh, frozen, or canned. Do not use corn.)
    5 cups water.

Brown meat, place water and other ingredients into pot until vegetables are tender and water is almost gone. When done you put into blender for a minute. Mixture should still be a bit lumpy. Put into fridge until ready to use. Should last one dog 4 feedings.

Enjoy!

2. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I never knew dog food was so easy and rather cheap to make. I wonder if dogs would rather have this homemade recipe or the original store bought stuff they're so used to? I personally would rather make up my own so I know what they are eating. Thankfully, I'm pet free but I will keep this recipe in mind should I ever get a dog again.

3. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    If you ever read the ingredients in most dog foods, you would not want to buy it. Their main ingredient is either corn or flour, two things you don't want to give your dog. If you want, you can even lessen the water and make the food paste the make into balls and dehydrate it. That will allow you to make large batches that you can store away to feed your dog for several days rather then only a few days. The crunch from it will also help to clean their teeth as they eat. We give our dogs apples or carrots for their teeth, raw of course. Our dogs love fresh vegetables. Funny enough... we can't cook spinach or greens, they sneak off with the pot when we are not looking. LOL. This nonsense about feeding your dog human food is ridiculous. What do they think they eat in the wild. You just can't put a bunch of salt or anything like that in the food. They eat raw vegetables also and they love it.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing this recipe, and I myself would have liked to give it a try. I'm not confident I'll be able to afford the aforementioned ingredients. My country loves to eat rice. In fact, it is our staple food here. However, compared to white rice and corn grits, brown rice is twice if not thrice as expensive. Also, our dogs prefer to eat a meal with bones. So we try to give them bones whenever available. I'll keep this recipe for future reference, though.

5. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    LOL I'm half Korean so believe me, there is no shortage of rice around my house. We don't eat brown rice though, and not just because of its cost. It taste funny to me and the texture is just not right. I don't mind it with wild rice in it... but otherwise it has to be white.

My dogs (and cats) will eat just about anything we give them. Sometimes I add other things like Avocados, Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Celery... you name it. They love it. I also add bones to it from time to time... I prefer to dehydrate chicken bones and pound them into a powder and add it because I have 4 little dogs and 3 big dogs. The big dogs get them all before the little ones do. I had them the bigger bones like Beef, Ox, Deer, or Elk by hand one by one and have to monitor them to make for sure they do not take from one another. They are fairly good about it though and I have not had to many problems.