If You Stay With Family When You Travel...

Discussion in Travel started by Zyni • Mar 3, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you stay with family members or friends when you are traveling, do you contribute to their extra expenses from putting you up? I never show up empty handed, and I always at least offer to take them out for a nice meal before leaving.

It still costs a lot less than paying for accommodations at a hotel. You save money by eating some meals in instead of having to eat at restaurants the entire time.

I think it's important to contribute, and even in doing so, you'll still come out ahead.

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Yup, we definitely try to offer something to them. Usually, we bring some food before we go to their house, stir fried noodles, native delicacy or anything else they might like. Then, we try to contribute as well by cleaning up or maybe washing the dishes. This way, since they won't accept money anyway, we can contribute to their hospitality.

Sometimes, they would even tour us around the place. And so when that happens, we just treat them to lunch or dinner. You really save a lot when staying with family and friends, aside from that, the tour is much more comfortable and relaxed with them.

3. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    The last couple of times, I bought my own groceries. Since I traveled by plane, bringing something upon arrival can be difficult. What I do is send a practical but unique gift with a thank you note.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always bring something like some favorite foods as my family like English tea and things like that. I ask them what they would like so I get the right things. As I am younger than all of them, they still like to treat me to eating out and I help out with picking up my cousin's son from school and help with any errands.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a very generous nephew who is single and staying in an upscale condo in Hongkong. Every year we go to Hongkong and stay in his condo. We sometimes plan to bring home food from the restaurant but he always warns us not to because he would cook for us. To make the story short, we don't spend anything and albeit he gives us some presents like bags and shoes. We have been going there since 2013. But for this year of 2016, we have no plans yet.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like to bring them little gifts at the end of our stay. Things like fancy soaps or cute tea towels. Things that are very cute, but what we usually do not buy for ourselves. That way they know that I appreciate that they put me up for my trip.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    When we traveled last summer to Vancouver we stayed for 12 days with my uncle, he left us stay in his basement which saved us a ton of money. Hotel rates are ridiculously high in this city. My aunt let us use her car while we there to get around which also saved us. Before we left we made sure to take them out for nice supper and left them a few gift cards for various restaurants and stores they like. We also made sure to buy our own milk and juice for the kids and snacks. Overall by staying with family we saved well over $2000 and were able to catch up with family. I am very grateful when we can go traveling and stay with relatives.

8. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    We go to our friends house to visit and vacation for the weekend several times a year. They have come to our house a couple times. We try to buy them a meal and I also take things to them that I don't need that I think they could use. We also go to the grocery store with them and pay for part of the groceries. We go there mainly to visit them, we wouldn't go if they weren't there, so it isn't like staying with them actually saves us money. The whole trip is more money than we normally would spend on a weekend but it's fun to see them and we do get to get away from home for a couple days.

9. Adoreyou!

Adoreyou!New Member

Threads:
    Well Zyni, I have to say that's something ethical. I mostly used to travel alone but if i'm taking any of my friend or my family member with me then yes i always really like to pamper them with the their favorite meals or something they like I know that you have settled a budget for you but it makes you more happy to do something good for the person you love.