If You Have These Vegetables On Your Garden, Their Leaves Are Edible!

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Beast_Titan • Jan 23, 2018.

1. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many plants growing in the US with edible leaves but Americans ignore. If you have these veggies on your garden, you won't need to buy leafy greens again.

Sweet Potato- Potato leaves are poisonous so don't eat them. Sweet potato leaves on the other hand is edible! Young sweet potato leaves can be eaten raw for salads while older leaves can replace spinach!

Sunflowers- the leaves of sunflowers can be made to make green juice. It is also a good alternative to spinach.

Taro- taro leaves can be used to replace collard greens? You have to sundry them though before cooking them to get rid of the sting. In Austronesian regions they cook dried taro leaves by simmering them in coconut milk and shrimp.

String beans, Lima Beans, snap peas and green beans- the leaves of these vegetables will reminds you of fiddlehead ferns. Great for steaming and stirfry.

Squash and Pumpkin-the leaves are tender and nutty. It is a stirfry veggie that you can use to substitute some greens in your recipes.

Leaves of chili peppers and capsicum- they can replace Basil in pesto. You have to cook them though.

I will add more in the list soon!

2. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Wow! I never knew knew that you could use so many varieties of green leaves in cooking. In India, we do use pumpkin leaves and even unpollinated flowers in cooking, but was not aware of these other vegetable leaves that you have mentioned.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I know sweet potato leaves are edible. We fry them after we dip them to a finely beaten eggs. Squash young leaves are yummy when eaten after they are cooked with coconut milk.

We have many vegetable leaves that edible and are nutritious.

4. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Anything cooked in coconut milk will indeed taste delicious :) Do share your recipe of how you cook squash leaves, I can try making it using pumpkin leaves, I think both would taste similar?

5. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    We also have plants here in our garden, but the leaves are not really edible like chili, calamansi, etc. I wasn't aware that those plants have edible leaves, so thanks for sharing that info.

6. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Chili leaves are edible but you have to cook them. They are Basil replacements or extenders for Pesto. I stopped buying spinach because the leaves I mentioned are cheap alternatives with five finger discount.

Here are more examples:

Onions- I don't buy green onions and scallions and leaks anymore because onion leaves are great alternative.

Leaves of citrus plants- good replacement for bay leaf.

Beets-cheap replacement for kale and spinach

Young cucumber leaves- when the leaves of cucumber is still young, it can be used for salads.

7. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    This is something really amazing and most adorable time for having such a great time. I am gonna spend out the time gardening and it gives me great pleasure.

I want to know something about online

8. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Wow... will definitely try this.