Idenity Theft Can Happen To Anyone

Discussion in Other Insurance Type started by Pat • May 6, 2015.

1. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    Oh absolutely. There is a great tool though on Google where you can type the name of a product and it would get all of the website that it can get and compare prices and bring the cheapest one for you. It has ratings as well so you wouldn't have to worry about the genuinity of the seller.

2. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Gmail is one of the most safest e-mails I know, if someone is trying to access your e-mail from another location we receive an alert, that has already happened to me and I immediately changed my password, so nothing like technology protecting us.

3. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    Outlook also is very very safe. They have set up a really secure way to verify you are the person trying to login to your email address. You download an app to your smartphone and whenever you login to your email it pops up on your phone asking you to either approve or deny login for that particular number that appears on your computer screen. It's very secure because you can know any time if anyone is trying to access your email address by having the password. So in order for someone to access your email they would have to know your email first, then password, then have your smartphone physically, then know the password to your smartphone, then they can hack you. To me, that sounds virtually impossible.

4. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have just become aware of that. I finally had the need to create an outlook account and come on, just to redirect it I need to get a code confirmation by SMS, they are even more demanding that gmail!

5. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    That's actually a great way of security. They're improving a lot on it that it is virtually impossible to break into any account really. I think it is due to technology and computer science expanding a lot making it much more secure. It reminds me of airplanes and their safety records.

6. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    That's pretty common to happen with gmail too. Once I received an e-mail saying that someone on Indonesia was trying to access one of my e-mail accounts! I don't know how could that be possible, but I did changed my password.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people think idenity theft is mostly credit related which is wrong. There are 5 types of idenity theft, tax return theft is a large one as is medical ID Theft. Image having to go to the hospital and you are denied because all of your benefits have been used already and you have a large hospital bill and it is not even you. Image you have received a letter from the IRS that you owe taxes on an income that you never earned and you have to prove to the IRS that is not your tax bill due.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :(Me too and I too worked together with facebook's team to solve my problem of being hacked at facebook. The thief even used my account to ruffle some people! We talked it out and it ended all amicably. I always check places logged in from security page to check that I'm the only one logged into my account. I reported being hacked to ic3.gov too. It's good that facebook has a wonderful team that works with you to solve problems isn't it? :)

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have had my share of being victimized of id theft and account theft. As with Sunflogan too at my facebook account, someone in fact from 6 different States login to my account, but I got it fixed working together with facebook security team and reporting things to ic3.gov too. I also have used Microsoft's Security Essentials download and it's free. Once I had scanned it every hour an every hour there was at least 500 spyware hacking my little netbook I borrow from the library! Microsoft's Security Essentials scans, detects and removes all sorts of unwanted things like spyware and viruses. I always have a Norton Safe web check too. Many have their own defenses and I learned a lot here too-thanks!

10. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Facebook account and I do banking and shopping on the internet. I do not have anyone on my Facebook that I do not trust and I have my privacy settings at a pretty high level so that friends of friends and the general public cannot see anything. I do not post relevant information about myself on just any website but only those that are safe. I have never had a problem with any of my accounts and right now it would not do an identity thief any good to steal my information. They would not be able to open a credit account or get any money from mine bank accounts. My credit is pretty messed up right now and I have just recently gone through bankruptcy, so if they can get anything I would like them to let me know how.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree about Gmail being one of the safest email accounts there is, but I wouldn't discount Bing/Microsoft outlook too. Yahoo email accounts, however, are far too risky to keep. So often have my accounts been hacked I had to get rid of some of them altogether. I also try to avoid uploading stuff using cloud storage. Videos and non-personal picture are okay, but scanned copies of your personal documents shouldn't be uploaded and stored online.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It truly can happen to anyone. My mom is elderly and rarely even leaves the state she lives in, let alone travels internationally, yet months ago, suddenly her credit card was being used at a mall in Jordan. She doesn't even use the internet, and we still have no idea how someone in Jordan got her credit card number, but they made several purchases at a mall there. Thankfully, the activity was noticed, and my mom was able to cancel the card and have another issued.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

I'm glad I came across your post, xTinx....because last year I finally jumped on the Gmail bandwagon and I love it. I think it's the best email account I've ever had. Yahoo meantime, is a truly shoddy excuse for an email account. I had two account with them and on top them becoming all tangled up and messed up, I believe I was hacked into and no amount of emails resulted in them helping. Their Facebook page is chocker with these same types of complaints, all IGNORED. I'll be sticking with Gmail now :)

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, there seems to be a lot of bugs in Yahoo's system and their IT teams have done little to address the problem. Even loading a Yahoo email takes forever. Sometimes, a single message wouldn't load and their server would tell you to just try again. Seriously. You would think Yahoo has already learned its lesson given their years in the email and search engine industry. Unfortunately, they don't care about security as long as they're making money.