I keep getting dropped internet.

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by Servace • Sep 17, 2014.

1. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I have had the same modem and router for almost 8 years now. For some reason I changed to a very new router, but I still keep dropping my internet connection. Do you think I should get a new modem and if so what is a great modem I can get for cheap. I saw some articles of my internet provider being able to switch out my router, but I am not sure if that is true or not.

2. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    Check with your provider to see if they have been having issues. We have been having ours cut out for a month or so now and it's been getting frustrating. We can be right in the middle of something and nothing. Finally we called the company and they just said to expect it because it's been happening with their service for awhile. Finally it's two months later and we finally have it for more than a day or two at a time without a dropped connection. Hope you get it worked out because I know it's a PITA.

3. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    This happened to be a few days ago. It really depends on what company you are with. Some of them are experiencing this problem. I am with Exede and they told me that it was a technical issue with their service. Also it could be due to the weather.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since you just installed a new router, then you should try resetting the modem with a hard reset. Unplug it for 30 seconds and then boot it back up. If there's nothing wrong with the router or connection, then this should fix your problems immediately. New routers and modems often require a hard reset at least once to start functioning properly.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I nice had similar problems and thankfully it went away by itself so I didn't have to do anything, but I did look it up and found a number of possible causes and solutions, one sticking out the most to me which is to update the router' firmware because that seemed to me like the most likely cause. Also, supposedly, the router heating up could also contribute to it, so the suggestion was to somehow heighten the router to provide more ventilation. Good luck!