I hate Capital One!!!

Discussion in Credit Cards started by nefsyn • Sep 11, 2012.

1. nefsyn

nefsynNew Member

Threads:
    I first opened up a credit card with them and everything was good for the first two months. Eventually I come upon an account is restricted screen. I call and ask and they said because a $25 payment from a bank account was denied. This is after paying $280 off, so I wanted to make an extra payment from a second bank account. Apparently they are saying that my bank account number is invalid, which it is clearly not because I used it for payment a month before. They said I would need to send another $25 in to get it unrestricted, even though I just paid $280 off for the month. They said as soon as they receive payment they would take the restriction off my account. Here I am 6 days later with the money out of my account and I'm still restricted. So now I am racking up on late fees on the gym. I tried to change cards but they said you have to change it 5 days before the billing date so it was already too late. Worst company ever.

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Capital One does have a reputation and it's not good. I don't have a card with them. If they were the last credit card on earth, then I would go without.

3. TNSabrina

TNSabrinaMember

Threads:
    I used to have a Capital One card, and they were okay. I never had any problems with them, except the ridiculous interest rates. I do understand your frustration however. My bank over drafted my account even though I signed off on paperwork telling them to cut me off and not overdraft my account. They nailed me twice for $70 in overdraft fees, and I was broke. I tried to go deposit money into my account through the ATM, and they turned my account off. So annoying!

4. gwosborne

gwosborneNew Member

Threads:
    Home
    Finance
    Financial Services in the World
    Capital One hate
    Don't fall for ...

Don't fall for Capital One's Special Trans. Offers
    +0 by Garry O

Their special transaction offers have detrimental terms that they do not disclose!!! I took advantage of several of their 2.99% (for 12 mos) offers over a period of 5-6 months. What they do not disclose is that your payments go to the NEWEST debt first and not the oldest. This causes your oldest balance to age out of the 12 months at 2.99% and jump to their super high Purchases interest rate. I called customer service to complain and their CSR manager Andrea told me "too bad" in so many words. They obviously do not value good, high rated customers! The morale of the story is to not do business with Capital One!

5. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I had major issues with Capital One! As a matter of fact, I refuse to ever get a credit card again after dealing with these people. They changed my mailing address to some off the wall address I never heard of (some town I didn't know existed) and I was not able to get ahold of them. I wasn't receiving a bill and couldn't call because of the old automated system they had matched your account and zip code before connecting you to a live body. Being they changed my address to somewhere I never heard of, I couldn't get past the "sorry you have entered an incorrect zip code" before being disconnected. Yes this is a long story of a mess but I ended up getting sued because I wrote various letters explaining that I wasn't receiving bills and that I couldn't get ahold of anybody. They sued me for like 4 times the amount that I would have owed. I fought it given what they did to me and the judge agreed that I shouldn't pay that much given their error. They refused to budge, the judge gave them 10 days to come up with another number or be dismissed. Well they never did but over a year later (not 10 days) they resubmitted the same amount they demanded in the beginning (the amount the judge originally denied) and because I was never served they got the judgement. I found it on my credit report :(

6. alfonso

alfonsoMember

Threads:
    Sounds like a huge headache. I've myself never used Capital One because of stories like your. I've heard a lot of bad things over the years, mostly about their policies and bad customer service, plus I hear they have very high interest rates.

7. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I use to have a Capital One card as well. I completely stopped using it after a couple of months and then closed my account completely. They were really poor with their administration and I wasn't receiving what I should have been in the post. The customer service was then awful and really unhelpful. Rather than trying to make it work, I just left them.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if it is the same in the US, but here in the UK Capital One makes a lot of money aiming their cards at people with poor credit, I had one when I was 18th and I have always warned people against using them. If you have a poor credit rating that you can only apply for a Capital One card then don't bother applying.

9. froglet

frogletNew Member

Threads:
    I'm facing a court date w/ Cap 1, for the same reason. Unlike you, I didn't write them as I should have. I did call, repeatedly, and had no luck getting any help. Unable to log into my old HSBC acct, after it was bought out by C 1. The customer service rep told me to pretend to be a new customer, and NOT use my acct number, but it recognized my email and told me my log in info was incorrect. After 3 attempts, I was locked out of the system. My daytime availability to make calls and go online is limited, as I'm a school bus driver. It took over a year to get them to send me a paper bill, and two weeks after getting it, I got a subpoena. Over $1877. My original debt with HSBC was under $1200, and until they were bought out, I was making bi-monthly payments on time.

10. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I had a problem with them last year because the postal delivery gave me a Cap. One card with a torn envelope the year before. This was reported but I didn't get a new card. So the card stayed in the envelope and was never activated. A year passes, I activate it, use it, pay half the balance, then it's placed on restriction. Then I had to prove who I was which was difficult because I have different names. Once that was cleared up, I paid off the balance on two cards and got another one. However the interest is so high, I use it very sparingly.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was with Capital One UK for quite a few years and they seemed alright, not outstanding mind. But I did hear some weird stories about them here and there, people always complaining about one thing or another. They also outsourced their contact centres a couple of years ago, and I think that's also not helped with their service delivery!

12. Turtletechie

TurtletechieNew Member

Threads:
    I had a card from Capital One once. They were horrible to deal with. The interest rates were ridiculous and their customer service some of the worst in the business in my opinion. Eventually, I canceled the account and cut the card up. Actually, I cut all my cards up for good and just rely on what I can save these days. I figure it's easier to do it that way. It isn't for everyone, but if you can save a little bit that you keep for emergencies you don't really need that card.

13. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have had a Capital One card for years and I have had a good experience with them except for the fact I get hit with an annual $75 dollar fee charge that they refuse to take away. My interest rate is pretty high too and so I do not use the card as much as I used to. The customer service agents are friendly and always answer my questions when I need help, so I stick with them.

14. Madison Zorn

Madison ZornNew Member

Threads:
    CAPITAL ONE BANK SUCKS a big one

8-8-2015 I filled out an application for a 0% interest credit card to CAP ONE.....they rejected me and suggested apply for the lesser card; I did. I have never paid a bill late in 50 years of paying bills.
    8-10-2015 I received the REJECTION LETTERS with an account #. I called the Capital EIN # and asked that they remove the 2 hard inquires; they refused to take them off. I have a credit score of 751 ((Equifax) and 745 (TransUnion); obtained from CreditKarma, today and 781 FICO (Discover) and 751 FICO (Barclays). BUT CAPITAL ONE SAID IT WAS 731(EQUIFAX() ??????????????
    The nasty man (supervisor) said it was impossible to remove. Is my only recourse....Facebook, my representative, my Senator, youtube, BBB, a lawyer and all banking nightmare blogs.....I have had a Capital One acct from when they pulled a Hitler (my opinion) and took over the small banks.....I had loved Chevy Chase...then they took over ING savings; loved them, too....I am spending the day changing banks....I TRULY HATE THEM and hope they collapse. I will be emailing the President of Capital One and inclusive of 40 positions under him/her/it.
    And there goes the country....the haves and the have-nots and stupid supervisors who think they are the "HAVES".
    Capital One (my opinion just another ENRON) karma got Jeff Skilling and I pray it gets you. AND LEST WE FORGET THE CLASS ACTION age discrimination lawsuit in 2003....stupid supervisor --hope you are under 35.
    THE ACTUAL CREDIT SCORE Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 6.37.32 PM.

#14Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  15. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, I get "pre approved" letters from Capital One all the time. I have been tempted to follow up with some of them, but after hearing these horror stories, I think I will pass. Their interest rates seem fairly high anyway, and I do not want to get involved with some financial horror story. I have enough issues without adding some shady credit card company to the mix!

16. MsxxIndo

MsxxIndoNew Member

Threads:
    CAPITAL ONE SUCKS AND IS UNFORGIVING...

I went on medical leave from work and was out of work for about a month...on top of that I had lost another source of income so I wasn't able to pay on my card to almost 6 months later. The past due amount was $250. When I went into the account to pay it, the website didn't even have a restriction hold on it like the paper copies do (which I found out today, because I do everything electronically, so I wouldn't have known about a restriction anyways, but okay, and of course it would be restricted for non-payment...Pay us or you won't be able to use your card. Anyways I went to pay on my account, catching it before it goes to charge off status and thinking I will be able to use my card once I paid it. Well a week later, I went online to check my balance and to see if the payment was posted. I get hit with BIG RED LETTERS saying my account is restricted. Also the day the payment actually posted, I received an email saying pay $250 by a certain date and I may be able to use my card, or pay $25 and it wouldn't bring my account current but it wouldn't be charged off. So, when I received the email, I actually was relieved because I knew I made the $250 payment, "I still get to use my card" (yeah right!!)...So when I called them, they tell me the email say if you pay the $250, "YOU MAY" be able to use your card, and further tell me, if I would of called, they could of put me in some type of program. Well first I tell them I made the payment before I got the email and it's still within the time frame, so now after you got my payment, why am I no longer eligible to use my card.They just kept saying if it was a offer available, they wouldn't know then... When asked what type of program they of put WOULD of put me in, not one CSR manager could tell me what kind of programs they would of put me in...not one on two separate calls. That's because it's BS!!! There is no program. So now your stupid company loose the rest of my balance, future purchases, and any future fees that COULD HAVE occurred through future purchases. Here's why, now I closed my account. Once they send it to collections and to my credit report, I am going to write one letter a week, and you A*Sh*les have 30 days to respond to the disputed charges through the credit union. I hope you greedy fu*ckers have a whole team dedicated to responding to these letters, because you have one time to not respond to one of those letters of disputed charges, and automatically the charge come off my credit report! YOU LOSE! Furthermore, I am going to do whatever I can to make sure this greaseball of a company goes down...my motto is one less customer = 1 less $$$

17. Lushlala

Threads:
    Wow, sitting here reading more and more complaints against Capital One is just shocking to my system! I'm also wondering if it has more of a bad reputation in America. When I had their credit card, I was in the UK, and although I did hear a few horrible things, it was never to this extent. Personally, I never had any problems with them at all. I was with them for quite a long time, maybe just under a year. I eventually decided to settle my balance and cut my card up when I moved countries. It looks like I was very, very lucky!

18. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate credit cards in general. Some are okay as long as nothing ever goes wrong and you never have a question or make a mistake. Even so, the interest is generally way too high. I'm actually shocked at how much they are allowed to charge. You will end up paying way more for something than what it is worth.

I think I might just take my chances with a loan shark (kidding of course). Then, if you do mess up, the fees will drown you. The fees they charge are sometimes higher than your payment amount. What a scam.

I only use a credit card if it's urgent, and even then, I plan to pay it off as quickly as possible.

19. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    Wow. I just recently got a Capital One card because it was one of the few credit cards I could get in Credit Karma recommended it. I have zero interest rate for the next year and I do have to pay a fee yearly. I only got it to start getting my credit score up but now I'm on the new car loan my husband got, so that will build my credit. I think after reading this I might just go ahead and cancel my card. Better safe than sorry.

20. Lushlala

Threads:
    I had a Capital One credit card for years, and I'm not joking, I never had as many problems as everyone here has had. The only thing I took objection to was when they outsourced their customer service to a foreign country, because the people struggled to understand me and vice versa. However, they always remained courteous. I'd say maybe just try it for yourself and see how you get on. I think as long as you're smart with it, you can make it work for you, at least just while you try to rebuild your credit rating.