Hulu Is Coming Out With A New Streaming Service

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by Diane Lane • Jun 21, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is from an email I received from FierceCable:

Hulu recently

the imminent launch of its live TV streaming service, and now new details are leaking out about different pricing tiers for the service.

According to Cord Cutter News, which obtained a survey Hulu is sending out to select subscribers, the basic package will start at $35 and will allow streaming to only one in-home device or mobile device. A $50 option allows for streaming to multiple devices.

Both plans will include 20 hours of DVR storage and either live or on-demand access to ABC, NBC, FOX and CBS -- which is notable because CBS has yet to be mentioned along with the other big networks in early reports about content deals for the new service.

It appears that around 80 channels -- including AMC, ESPN, TBS, TNT and USA -- will be included with the $35 package.​

I currently have basic Hulu, and have considered adding SlingTV, because of the local channels and some of the lower end cable channels and $5 add on packages. It seems I'll have to see what comes of Hulu's new package, and how it really shapes up, because that may suit my needs better.

Stay tuned to see what happens. I'm hearing more and more people who are displeased with their cable providers, and these types of offerings are what I've been asking my cable provider for over the past several years, and they obviously don't care to retain customers at that level of service. 80 channels, assuming at least some of them are ones I'm interested in, sounds like a good deal for $35.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That does sound like a good deal. I still don't have my local CBS affiliate here, because of Dish and it's wisdom, that is a real pain..If Sling works by streaming though, it wouldn't be a good option here, because I have to be very careful about streaming and doing things that would affect my bandwidth. It is not a good way to live your life! I would be so much better off with unlimited internet.

3. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    So if I am not mistaken they are kind of seeking that market for people in between traditional cable TV and the internet streaming apps. If that is the case, I say brilliant on the part of Hulu. I could be wrong, but it seems like that is what they are doing. I have Netflix and Hulu right now, but of course nothing is live. I am curious to see how this would compare to traditional cable services, and I think that they will find a market if they can set a reasonable price. This is great news for competition and market principles, which usually excites me.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I currently pay around $8 for Hulu. I would be open to paying $35 for that package. Local stations are nice, but I'm more interested in TNT and USA. I miss a lot of my favorite shows on those channels since I cut the cord!

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Parker@Parker Those are ones I'm interested in, also. There just isn't enough on the over the air stations to keep me interested, and I have gotten used to watching shows on those stations. I tried connecting my antennas again recently, since I'm still planning to cut the cable, and wanted to see what was available. There were several channels, but CBS was not one of them, so this might be attractive to me. I'm waiting to hear more, as the situation develops.

6. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I have not gotten this email. Kinda disappointing being that I have used Hulu for over a year. Regardless, this looks pretty enticing. We got the most basic cable package, but were considering canceling it for just internet. This would actually be worthwhile since they are offering good channels, which basic cable does not offer. Gonna be keeping my eye on this one. Thanks!

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We just changed over from cable to satellite DirecTV, and we have a 2 year contract or we have to pay if we stop sooner than that. Do you know of the Fox network is just the Fox channel or is Fox News part of the offering from Hulu ?
    We had Hulu for a while; but we just don't watch that much television, and my husband like netflix beter than Hulu, so we dropped it.
    However, if we could get the $35 package and it has the Fox News Channel on it ,, we would save enough money to make it worth having to pay the cancellation fee maybe.
    Actually, part of what we pay is for our internet connection as well; so juss stopping the DTV would only save part of the money we spend each month.
    That does sound like a great option though, and if Hulu does well with it, some of theother companies are sure to follow woth their own programming packages.

8. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I currently have Neflix and am not satisfied with it. Thanks for the heads up. I look forward to see what they are offering. If it's good, maybe I will change over.

9. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    If it turns out that this is competitive with cable packages I'll consider, really though I was never impressed with Hulu's services so it's good to see them carve out a niche. They've piqued my interest though, live sports is about the last thing keeping cable alive and if they move in on that then maybe the oligopoly of regional cable providers will diminish (even though I like the services of cable, the providers do often operate in a ethically challenged manner).