How Often Do You Have To Buy A New Keyboard And Mouse?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Soulwatcher • Jan 11, 2018.

1. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I use to be a heavy gamer and I would break a mouse in 6 months or less and about a year for the keyboard if I was lucky. It got so bad that I use to keep a spare keyboard and mouse at all times. And now since I don't do any heavy gaming any more keyboards and mouse last a lot longer now. This keyboard and mouse are about a year old. How often do you have to buy a new keyboard and mouse?

2. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    Not very often at all. I bought my current keyboard and mouse a long time ago. They were very cheap at the time but they still work just fine. That's why I don't see the point in buying expensive ones. Even being a heavy gamer like you I never broke a mouse, but I did destroy a couple of keyboards by spilling liquid on them lol.

3. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I am not a gamer, though I use my computer very often as a programmer, I don't buy new mouse and keyboard often. In fact, I think I only change my keyboard when I buy a new computer, that could be more than 5 years. The keyboard I am currently using has already been used more than 7 years. Though I have just bought a new PC, as the keyboard is still in good condition, I am still using it and keep the new one aside first. The mouse's life might not be so long, but it's usually around 4-5 years too.

4. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    This does not happen very often, in fact, I have bought a new keyboard only because I didn't like the old one not because it got broke. I guess that I am changing my items very rare, the mouse I have is really old, I have bought it in 2013.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From what I remember, I have used 3 keyboards in our old desktop that we bought in 2009. For now, I am using the 3rd keyboard for more than 2 years now. It is a wireless keyboard that is made in China which I bought for $5 only. So far, it looks good although it consumes much battery power.

6. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I will be honest cheap keyboard and mouse lasts a lot longer than the more expensive ones. I bought about 3 Razer Deathadder mouses and they all broken in 6 months or less and they were $60 each. And I bought a Razer Blackwidow keyboard that costs $150 and it didn't even last a year before the shift key broke.

7. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I figured that after one of my friends had his Razer mouse break constantly until he replaced it. Not sure which model he had but I think one of the mouse buttons kept breaking. Just one more reason for me to not invest much money in a mouse & keyboard. I'd rather buy myself a better graphics card, cpu, monitor.....anything, really.

8. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think mine needs replacing every one and half year. And it seems to be serious problem. As some of the time it can be really damaging the keys. And also some of the time mouse gets dropped. So it overall adds up. And I have no other option than to change the keyboard and mouse. That's what I have found out.

9. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I bought once keyboard when my laptop a key or two keys didn't work. I bought ab external keyboard. But later it didn't work. I just cleaned the built-in keyboard and it worked.

I bought twice mouse for the mouse keypad didn't work. The USB mouse was broken. I bought a wireless mouse which I am using it right now.

10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I have 2 keyboards, 1 PS/2 and 1 USB, and they are still working fine up to this day. They were bought last 2005 and 2015 respectively. Keyboards are quite durable, although a mouse lasts only around 4 to 5 yrs.

11. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    My keyboard is now 3 years old and still working fine. The mouse area for my laptop seems to have loose the senses since I move the cursor sometimes and nothing happens. I might consider buying a wireless mouse soon. I am not sure if the windows 10 is the one hanging or the mouse function since the keyboard works just fine.

12. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    Trying to fix a laptop keyboard can be a pain, in my experience. You're lucky it worked for you, because in most cases you simply have to buy and rely on an external keyboard.
    Mouse area ? You mean the touchpad ? If so, there is a button on most if not all laptops to turn touchpad on/off. You might try toggling that if it happens again and see if it fixes it.

13. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. It has always been on but it is not functioning well nowadays. Thanks for the recommendation. :D

I have never known about the button for turning the touchpad on and off but I will look more into it.

14. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    I only buy a new keyboard and a new mouse if the old ones stop working. I don't waste my money on newer external hardware like that, because there is absolutely no reason to. I'm happy with my current keyboard and mouse because they work well and they get the job done and buying new ones are just a waste of money.

15. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    I was using my keyboard since three years ago and mouse probably I bought two years ago but both are working well.