How Much To Spend On Pet Toys?

Discussion in Pets started by ExpertAdvice • Feb 4, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    How much would you be willing to spend on pet toys?

I've heard of celebrities and even "normal, everyday folk" spending what would usually appear to be an "unforgivable amount" on pet toys!

Yes, several persons are forking out thousands, millions even! All for the sake of clothing, feeding or otherwise entertaining, their beloved pets, whether it be their precious pups, their cuddly cats, or their beautiful birds.

I've even heard of instances whereby persons are leaving their pets in their will (and I'm not talking about "small sums" here!).

So, my question to you is: do you think that this is a "fad"? Is it a bit much? Or would you be willing to spend a considerable amount on your pet, on making them the happiest? How much would you be willing to pay?

Let me know!

pet toys.

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I think its ridiculous to spend so much on toys that for the most part a pet will chew and man handle. I have been known to buy my pets toys in the past. But I have bought these at a dollar store which means they didn't cost oo much. As for dressing up a pet, to each his own, but for me again not something I would do. Yes I will admit that I will invest in somethings for my pet like a scratching post for the cats, or a dwelling for them and the dogs. But this is different in my opionion because in some ways these are necessity items for these pets. After all with a cat if they don't have a scratching post they will scartch other things such a furniture or if they are outside tires on cars. Not a good thing either way, so a scratching post could be a necessity with a cat.

3. LAGuy

LAGuyMember

Threads:
    I pick up antlers for my dogs... They're much stronger than regular bones, so no worries about pieces splitting off... They are pricey, though... About $10 to $35 each... But the ones I bought have lasted at least 2 years so I don't feel bad....

Whenever I buy toys that are supposedly "chew-proof", or "heavy duty", my dogs manage to destroy them within 5 minutes... So the antlers have been a great, low cost purchase.

4. hopecoss

hopecossNew Member

Threads:
    I typically spend anywhere from $20-$50 per toy for my 7 year old black lab and American blue heeler mix. I found that spending $5 bucks here and there was a worthless effort because he was able to rip through the cheap material within minutes. I buy toys specifically made of tough material and while they do cost about 4x as much they last about 4-6 months. I think the choice is easy when it comes to everyday dog toys.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's pretty much pointless to spend a fortune on pets' toys. If pets can simply go outside and play to their hearts' content, why should it be necessary to buy toys for them. I'm sure they find it more enjoyable to frolic among trees or hunt little animals, right?

6. ZenShopper

ZenShopperNew Member

Threads:
    I haven't spent a dime on pet toys!

I usually used to make a ball of handkerchief and tie it to a rope for my kitten.Maybe a small plushie or a soft toy tied to something else that makes some sort of curious noise for the cat.

Spending on pet toys never truly made sense.
    To think of this at the grassroot level, no pets have these 'toys' in their natural habitat, yet they're thoroughly capable of keeping themselves entertained with their surroundings. Why to spoil this bit by putting some artificial and senseless element in their lives.

No matter what you get for a dog, he will still enjoy playing fetch with a simple yet humble stick.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Spending too much money on pets [be it toys or any other sort of entertainment] always angers me. There are better ways to spend money. Helping a needy person for example? But that's going off-topic . . .

IMO, since most people believe that pets are part of the family then if the average kid gets toys worth $50 or thereabouts, then a pet should get toys worth an equal amount or less.

For me, I don't spend any money on toys. My pets get to play outside all day long.

8. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have that much money to spend on my pet. Sure, I love him, but that is not how love should be measured at all. I give him a home to live in, food to eat, and toys to play with but at a reasonable price. I shop at the Dollar Stores, Thrift Stores, and look for quality toys on sale at Department Stores. The most I ever spent was $7 dollars for his first toy when we brought him home. Same things with his collar and leash. No dress-up clothing at all.

9. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I make things for my pets. It's pretty easy & they're easily entertained so it's not hard to please the crowd. It's also a lot easier on my wallet as well. Seeing as a lot of these toys are constructed out of cheap things you probably already have.

10. Megan888

Megan888Member

Threads:
    I would be willing to spend quite a bit on toys for my 2 furry babies. They are extreme chewers and spending a few dollars here and there just doesn't cut it. I have spent up to $50 on one toy for them. This is one of the only toys that is still around and they still are able to use it everyday after owning it for more than a year.

If I had dogs that didn't chew as much I would buy cheaper toys. I think that it just depends on what works best for your pets and what you can afford to spend on them.

I don't think that this is a fad. People have had pets for thousands of years and will continue to love and spoil them in the future.