How much are you guys paying for auto insurance?

Discussion in Auto Insurance started by jtucci21 • Jan 13, 2014.

1. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    GEICO is awesome! not only are the rates cheap, but they make everything easy. You can call them at 3am on a Saturday night, and you will get a live person. I bought a new Mustang GT and State Farm quoted me $5000 per year (with 20yrs of driving and a 10% discount for good drivers record). Geico charges me $2500 per year for two Mustangs, full coverage, mechanical breakdown, towing, rental, road side assistance, and my deductibles are $250. To raise my deductibles to $500 it would only save me $50 per year.

Having had my parked car hit twice, and one car destroyed in a flood, I can testify Geico will pay your claims with no problem. i have had them for over 12 years now. Will never change.

2. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    They sound very responsible and very honest. I've never had Geico, but I have Liberty Mutual right now. Currently, I only pay $416 a year for a 2008 Toyota Corolla S. If I were on my own policy it would be a lot more though. I'm listed as a driver and I'm on my mother's car insurance policy. It worked out for the best since I'm still under 25. They seem to be pretty good about trying to keep your auto insurance as low as they can for you. I've had no problems with them yet.

3. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I am from South Africa and insurance is not too bad as we pay the equivalent to $100 dollars which covers shortfall and anything else for the car. I think it is a good idea to have MOTORPLAN as if something goes wrong with the car, not many insurances cover.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am paying close to €200 per year and it's a decent coverage, I prefer to pay a little extra and feel safer. There are people that pay over €800 per year, I think that is too much, with that value I almost buy a car! :)

5. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I started with Liberty Mutual, and considering I was a teenage boy, the costs were reasonable. But eventually I did switch to Geico, as I suppose their massive advertisement streak worked on me. I had to file one claim through them. I had a car that was totaled during a snow storm from a town plow truck.

Currently, I am paying $190 every 6 months for just liability.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm paying 180 dollars for a one year insurance for my 2009 ToyoTa Vios. It's kinda cheap if you think about it. I dunno where this insurance is because my uncle is in charge for that. He has some contacts because he's a bank manager. He just makes a phone call. No need to bring the car to the insurance company. They can process it outright. Lol.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with that kindbergh, 180 dollars is a good price considering there are insurances that can be 10 times that value. Sure, we aren't covered against all, but at the same time it's a good coverage and we feel safe.

8. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    I am 22, had my license for 3 years total (two years it was expired).. I have been in one accident, which I was NOT deemed at fault. I have two cars, one if a 1999, the other a 2005, and I pay $140 a month in basic liability.

9. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    When I was 21, I went to Geico and a few other agencies to get insurance for a 2010 Chrysler 300 with 30,000 miles on it. They tried to charge me $270 dollar, but offered me a discount on a brand new 2011 Chrysler 300, that was when the new models were released.

That would've cost me $211 dollars, those discount were for things like the car being brand new, and that was $70 dollars off right there, plus I was going to school at the time so they offered me more discounts, and I didn't drive far so there was another discount.

The brand new car had much cheaper insurance vs one that was used. Ridiculous policies.

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    We pay around $122 for AAA and I feel like that bill is always coming! We don't even use it. Insurance is such a waste of money, but I guess it is needed. I wish my partner would get the $19 a month cheapo or the General, but he loves his AAA.

11. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I am paying just about $11 every year for my auto insurance. Sadly, my auto insurance covers partial damage only. The policy is void when the vehicle is stolen. This is a basic insurance for the purpose of government tax. In order to pay vehicle tax, my vehicle needs to be insured.

12. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Okay, @steph84@steph84, you made me curious now. What is the $19 cheapo, please? Also, what is the General? I haven't heard about any of these, but I would love it if I could get such cheap coverage.

I never use it anyway, but since it's required by law, I have to have something. It would be great to get something cheaper. It's not worth paying the hundreds of bucks in fines if I ever got pulled over and didn't have it (not that I get pulled over anyway, but why take a chance, right?).

I'd love to hear about these other options, please. I've been thinking about getting some quotes, but I hate dealing with all the spam and calls when I sign up for stuff like that.

13. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I pay the lowest amount possible towards my vehicle insurance. Earlier my car was under full protection plan like against theft, fire along with third party protection. The annual premium was somewhat high and now I switched over to an exclusive third party insurance so it is no more insured against theft and fire. My car is more than five years now and I don’t see chances of any thieves targeting an old car. Moreover, its insured value is low so even if I lose my vehicle I am not going to get a good refund for that. Another reason why I opted for third party is that I rarely use it nowadays. But it is mandatory by law to have at least third party insurance to drive it on streets.

I usually renew it online and get a discount of 10% on the annual premium. I heard that our Government is chalking out plans to make the minimum premium period as five years.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am paying equivalent to $70 for my car and $22 for my two wheeler. Both of these are for comprehensive insurance but if I insure my car and motorbike for third party insurance only than I will have to pay 1/3 lesser amount but that will not cover damage repair or theft.

15. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure how it is for other countries but in the UK our insurance goes down once we reach a certain age. Under 25 is considered to be a high risk group so as an older person mine is quite low.

I go with an insurance broker because I know they will search and find the cheapest insurance for me and so far that has worked. We can pay a yearly premium or a monthly. I go with the monthly because I hardly notice it coming out of my account it is such a small amount.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 It's same for everyone in my home country irrespective of age and also the same in my present country where I pay about AU$ 1200 per year. Here female and pensioners have to pay lesser premium than what others pay. So I am not surprised that you have to pay lesser than men.

#36May 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  17. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it's true that a broker can do the legwork for you. Are they paid by the insurance companies or do they get paid by the buyer?

It's always a good idea to ask about discounts. They won't generally volunteer this information. You have to go over your accounts from time to time to see if there is anything you can add/subtract/change to better suit you.

Many companies offer discounts if you're over 25, if you're married, if you have more than one vehicle covered, if you have been ticket and accident free for a certain amount of time, and more. It pays to review every so often and ask if you are eligible for any discounts.

18. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let me just share the insurance system here for cars. Aside from the so called comprehensive which covers loss or damages, our Land Transportation Office also requires vehicles to have the TPL (third party liability). I buy the TPL from our insurer which is a big insurance company. The cost is around $10. There are insurance booths in the registration area of the LTO so those without insurance can buy there. However, the TPL insurance in the LTO area is double that of what I pay which means those insurance booths in the registration area are ripping off the public.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy Third party insurance used to be way cheaper in the past but now the rates are almost the same for TP and comprehensive both besides the auto-lifting has gone so high back in my native country that you cannot take a risk. I must add that third party insurance is must for all motor driven vehicles but comprehensive is customers' choice.

#39May 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017