How many minutes in the shower would you need to equal a bath

Discussion in Water started by Hedonologist • Apr 11, 2014.

1. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to water consumption, at what point does taking a shower become less economical than a bath? I'm referring to a normal non-power shower here. I've heard some power showers can overtake a bath in less than 5 minutes, although I'm not sure what the case is for standard showers.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That would take some serious math to figure out the answer but thankfully others have already done that.

So, according to those who like to mess around with numbers
    Depending on the bath size, you could use more or less water. The most 'standard' ones used need 36 gallons to fill up. That means if you're in the shower for 7 minutes, you use more water than you would have used in a bath. However if you spend less time in the shower . . .

#2Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  3. mercantile519

mercantile519Member

Threads:
    It would depend on flow rater for your shower head, how large your tub is etc.
    Personally, I prefer showers. I don't like the idea of sitting around in my dirt for a while. If I do take a bath, I always shower off after anyway.

4. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    It doesn't matter to me! I pay $20.00 a month no matter how much water I use. It takes a pretty devoted scientist to measure and give an accurate volume of what it takes. My guess would be about, 10 minutes :cool:

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like taking a bath in nice hot water. When I take a shower it is usually 10 to 15 minutes if I have to wash my hair. I have tried the 5 minute shower But I do not feel clean, We do have to tell the kids to get out of the shower because they are in there too long wasting water.

6. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what I'm going to do in the shower that day. If I have to shave my stubble and wash my hair, it'll usually take me 20 minutes tops. Let's say if I only need to do either one that day, it'll be 15 minutes or less. If I'm not doing both and am only clean my face and body, I'll only use on average about 10 minutes. I try to keep it quick regardless of what I have to do to keep the water running as little as possible.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Whatever the maths, a shower splits water and distributes it evenly over the body covering a greater area with less water. If one economises on the time, you are less likely to use more water than a bath which requires a certain level of water to be effective. Bath water has to be up to a certain level to be useful for bathing.