How Important Is It To You To Buy Local?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by animos • Jun 6, 2016.

1. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We try to buy local as well; but sometimes you can't find what you want locally, and sometimes the price is just a lot higher when you do find what you are looking for.
    Today, I needed some test strips, and we went to the local Walgreens because it was right on the way home from the fitness center. They had the test strips, and they were marked $10.99, which was a bit expensive, but acceptable because I would have them right away.
    However, when I got up to the checkout stand to pay for the strips, they turned out to be $19.99 ! ! When i explained that the sticker price said they were not that expensive, they sent someone back to check, and she said "well, we had some cheaper ones but hey are all gone". By then , I was really upset; but paid for the test strips anyway.
    After we got home, I looked on amazon and it was $6.99 for the exact same amount of test strips. So the Walgreens price was a total rip-off ! !
    I don't like Walgreens anyway, and now I like them even less, local or not.

2. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I buy anywhere as long as the products have good quality and costs cheaper. But sometimes, I do buy from local stores even if the product they are selling costs quite expensive, If and only if it is the first time that I will try the product. If I liked it, I would probably buy there again.

3. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    We maybe don't buy local goods as much as we should, but the main reason for that is the fact that we look at quality and value for money before anything else, and certainly before we look at where the product is made. Some locally produced goods can be expensive and they are relying on the fact that some people will think they are doing them a favour and are helping the local community, and while that is commendable, I do think there is a sense that people are being ripped off because of that.

Butter and milk for example that's sourced from local farms are often selling for quite a bit more than the mass produced items from other areas and if money is no object then you maybe can afford to buy the more expensive goods, for most people times are getting harder though, so they will go with the cheaper options and that's more than understandable in the current financial climate.

4. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    As a small scale business man I have also thought about this buying from local stores in a bid to support their business. I do this often if I am sure the price of the item at the store is not different from that of the big well known stores.

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I shop at my local stores quite often since they are right across the street from where I live. I know it's a bit more expensive but I usually buy a bit at a time it wouldn't be worth spending on transportation. When I buy food for an entire week I do go to Walmart or other bigger stores where I can find the best prices.

6. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I would always want to buy items at the local store so I can choose which to buy carefully and check if there is some kind of a defect with the product I am trying to purchase. However, there are times that I can't help but to order stuffs online in light of the fact that they don't have the item I was looking for.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, I was very patriotic that I avoid buying imported goods. Besides, anything imported is naturally expensive. However, when I matured, my stand on local goods changed because I have tested the quality and I have to admit that imported goods are really better. Take for example the chocolates, we have no local chocolates that can compete with Cadbury of M&M. With the clothing and other personal items, the score is the same, I go for imported goods.

8. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer buying from medium sized super markets. What I like most about is that we can choose the product we want. Here in local stores we can't choose the product. Another advantage is the presence of various brands so that we can choose the one that fits into our budget. We can also look for discount offers to gain more.

But it is true that local stores are dying due lack of business. Setting up a mall is out of their purview and gradually customers are moving to hyper malls where they can get value for money.

9. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    It doesn't matter much to me, either way. My brother owns a small store, so whenever I need items that I know he carries, I always go to him first, just to help him out with the biz, and also because he tends to give me a discount. ;)

But then again, there is a small, local pet shop right near my house. I like to give them business as well, but the only problem is that their prices are OUTRAGEOUS. $1.00 for one small can of cat food??? :eek: I don't think so. Plus, and I hate to say this because I really like the people that own this local store....the cans all seem a bit dusty, like maybe their turn-around isn't all that great. But with those prices, I can understand why. Great owners (and animal-lovers)...so I like them a lot....but I only go in there from time to time. The bigger stores have all the great sales and deals, and when you're counting every penny, you tend to go for wherever you can get your items at the cheapest price possible.

10. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    In a phase of economic globalization, it's difficult only to stick by the local products. In a fiercely competitive market, the local vendors find it hard to keep the price at per. And, as a customer we'll certainly go for the products which are compatible in price and performance.
    However, for the food stuffs we go for the local products. I never buy packaged fruits which are imported from outside.

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I buy wherever the products are cheaper at good quality. There are stuff that I buy at local stores rather than supermarket chains because they're usually cheaper, fresher, and are more convenient to buy locally. For instance, I buy meat for stewing from local meat stores because the meat are fresh and new while those in the supermarket chains are usually frozen. I'd also buy vegetables from the local market because they're cheaper.

It's a good thing that the issue of supporting local businesses had been brought up in this forum. It's great to support mom and pop stores and little businesses but come to think of it, in our country where tax laws are quite lax and where business income are hard to track, most of these businesses had been successfully evading tax responsibilities. They don't issue invoices/receipts. They report very minimal income when renewing their local permits to avoid paying taxes due the government. On the other hand, the big department stores are dutifully issuing receipts for every sale and are paying VAT and income taxes on them. Hence, I know that taxes, the lifeblood of every government, will be paid as well.

12. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    Buying local is very important for me. The first time that comes to my mind when I buy local is I am promoting trade and commerce in my country. Secondly, I think about all those local labor force. When I buy local, I am also contributing to the income of local people. last but not the least, buying local means contributing to the economic development of the country.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer local items at local stores depending upon items. In case the items are available at cheaper rates in local stores I would certainly go for them. However, I buy all branded products either from brand stores of the company or online sites which provide me a better rate. However there are certain items I would like to feel before purchasing so sentiments or feeling don't count in such cases.

14. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think buying in those types of places is very important because that's the way it turns out and offers the support that small marketers need to stay in the market.

Every company that today is huge and worldwide famous was once small one day, none of them born great or famous... It took a lot of hark work to reach that level.

15. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I shop both locally and in big stores depending on my needs and the quality of stuff that I need.

In our area we often don't find many items in local stores so we have to go to marts to get them. Local vendors have fresher veggies and fruits for example, so I will buy from them as they are cheaper too.

I look at everything, price tags, quality, freshness, need and quantity of the items that I want to buy.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit I agree with your point of view that buying local is good with encouragement to local entrepreneur or producer but most of us become selfish when it comes to saving a few bucks if the same items are available at lower price. The temptation is too hard to resist on certain days and you forget all about supporting "cause of local'.

#56Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017
  17. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    If it's a bakery, the local or lesser known bakeries seem to be cheaper when it comes to peddling their goods. The more known the food store is, the more expensive it becomes, like French Baker or Krispy Kreme for example. But I always buy from the bigger store when I will buy in bulk so that I can save money since they tend to price their items cheaper.

18. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I got your point because sometimes I fell that way too.

However, as soon as my consciousness "returns to normal" :p I find myself in the "obligation" to think of all the small traders and rethink their importance to society as a whole (especially if it's a modest society... in those cases, their importance is even greater ;)).

19. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Local traders are to crafty and subtle in selling their wares, products in all kinds from apparel to hardwares, household needs to electrical items. If you are enough very careful and keen to observe how their products are being made, you may mistake them as the imported ones.

They are good in imitating the style, the fabrics used. If not, they would be misled of the trade mark or product label from the imported commodities.

Whatever it is. Whatever their mode selling technique, I still patronize our local producers, our local retailers and wholesalers. We are helping them in return.

20. Malibeast

MalibeastMember

Threads:
    By buying local, you are likely to get a product of a decent quality, as opposed to a product manufactured at one item per second, using inferior materials.

By buying local, you are supporting local business, and thereby your community. This will create a diversity of choice in you community, and ensures that the money you spend remains in the community.

Lastly, and most importantly: by buying local, you are supporting not a multi-millionaire with mansions and yachts in various cities, but a neighbor who is merely trying to make ends-meet.

Buy local!