How fast is your internet?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by JoshTheboss • Jul 2, 2014.

1. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    As a Romanian i'm very happy with my internet speed. They are ranked as one ofthe highest speeds in the world and the service has 99% uptime. Never had connection issues in the past 2 years and very happy with all my countries internet providers.

2. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately for me I only get around 25% of the advertised broadband speed with my current provider. I do think this is because of the area I live in though, as there are lots of people living here and I frequently find that in the early hours of the morning when most people in the town are sleeping (but not me!) my speed picks up a heck of a lot. For that reason I usually leave large downloads and such on overnight and usually things are done by morning.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, good for you. By the way, what's the MBPS? How fast is your download speed? We don't have top-of-the-line Internet connection where I'm from, but it's 5 MBPS so I can't really complain even if the weather gets in the way sometimes. It's expected when you live in a developing country, but I think the government is planning to put up a public wifi for everyone's consumption. Singapore and other countries have no qualms offering free wifi to their citizens.

4. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I managed to squeeze a quick test in. The download speeds are acceptable and I have yet to see such big upload speeds. Overall, i'm pretty happy with my internet connection.

This was done at around 12 PM so there isn't much network activity going on.

5. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:

That's mine. It looks like my internet speed's way slower compared to yours. And I think the problem lies with the current communications company here in the Philippines. The Philippines is currently one of the countries that possess the slowest internet speeds in the world. In addition, the government isn't really handling this situation as well as I hope and we may continue to have slow internet speeds for the next 3-5 years. Oh, I pay about 25$ for my internet connection which is about 5$ less than what you pay for.

6. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    What a misfortune:(! I'm gonna do the test again later tonight when the network is a little bit used. But I agree on prices though, I pay around 15-20 bucks for internet and I have no upper limit for my bandwith. That will probably get fixed in the following years though as retail companies want to create a trickle down effect.

7. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    I was amazed a couple of years ago when I found out how much internet speeds vary from a country to another. Hong Kong or Japan being in front of internet speed download and upload speeds might not be a surprise for a lot of you, but what really surprised me is that countries like USA have, let's say, decent speeds but they have to pay a lot of money for their internet connection. This is not the case in my country, Romania, for example, where a 100 Mbps connection will cost only 20 dollars.
    Thinking about it, I really want to know why the differences are so big. So, if anyone can give me an answer I will be thankful.

8. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdanaMember

Threads:
    I had Time Warner when I was living at my old place now almost two months ago, and it was horrible! We kept losing our internet connection and it took forever to download stuff! Now I have Verizon Fios and I love it! My internet is 10x faster than it was with Time Warner!

9. ignite1hp

ignite1hpNew Member

Threads:
    I pay 60 a month and have 100mbps down and 20mbps up is what its rated at. I actually see 95mbps down and 25mbps up lol. Which is simply amazing. I am using mediacom which is a midwest thing and rarely have issues with it. I live in the united states mind you. I couldn't be happier with my service, tech support is really fast at solving any issues that come up too. I highly recommend giving them a look if you live in the midwest.

10. RobertNick

RobertNickMember

Threads:
    One of the best advantages of living in Romania is the internet speed. I get free GB/s internet in my dorm with no data caps and at home I have a 200MB/s connection (the real download speed I get is around 35Mb/s, the fastest I got was 55MB/s on an SSD) for which I pay around 10€ a month. It's one of the best features of the country.

11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    My internet speed is very moody. Sometimes, it's fast as a cheetah, then there would be times it's as slow as a turtle. It's kind of annoying. We have a bit of a love/hate relationship. o_O

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure of the specifics in terms of the numbers, but my internet speed isn't too bad on most days. I pay the equivalent of about $45 a month and that's just for my internet! I think it's too expensive, and that's why for most people the internet is still a luxury here in Botswana....a damn shame if you ask me. In this day and age, I strongly believe that easy access to the internet should be a basic necessity!

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our internet access is moderately slow but it is all right because it is the cheapest package available. Since for home use only, speed is not that material. However, in the office we are very conscious with the internet speed because we use it in our work. From what I know, our subscription package is the highest, that means we are not in a pool of users but that bandwidth is exclusively for ours only.

14. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    My internet is good speed, and I've been paying $40 a month. But they randomly bumped up the price so I wasn't very happy about that. They're always rising up the price and I think it's ridiculous to pay $80-100 just for internet. And most deals they'll let you pay a low amount for a year or 6 months, and then raise up dramatically. So all the deals aren't that great. You can get bundles but I don't need or want cable tv, so it's pointless. I also don't need a landline. Sometimes my internet can get sluggish too, but for the most part it's pretty good. I have XFINITY.

15. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Sadly, I think our country is one of those countries that has a very slow internet connection. It's even impossible to stream movies online in light of the fact that you won't actually finish it. Well perhaps you will but it will take days for a 2 hours film to finish. As well as when downloading movies :(

I'm paying at least $22 per month for a speed of 3MBPS internet connection which I never experienced to be honest.

16. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    We were having very bad network connection earlier. But with the advent of 4G mobile technology things have improved a lot. Moreover, in our place there is a price war going on among telecom service providers which drastically reduced mobile data charges. Now I play less than $4 for 5GB 4G data which is only one fourth of earlier cost for 3G data. Some companies even offer free of cost data for a limited period. I think it is going to decrease in times to come.

In our country landline business is about to end and 4G just accelerated its downfall. People mainly use landline for broadband connections. But now 4G is quite competent enough to challenge landline broadband speed.

17. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    [​IMG]
    This speed is while someone else in my house is using my internet. I pay 16.50 dollars a month. It's fast enough for everything I need to do. If someone isn't using it and I'm not loading a video, it's usually around 4.0 instead of 2.69.

18. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    In our country Internet is very weak. I am always in trouble for the speed of our Internet connection. I am using the PLDT HomeDSL. I have given up my Globe subscription for it is worse Internet connection I ever had. Here is my present speedtest I have just checked as of this writing. I don't know how to interpret it. I just experience the slow loading of the pages I have opened in the Internet.

speedtest very weak.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Sorry to say but despite all the advancement in different sphere of life our country is still too far behind in internet particulary its speed. Here a connection with 2 mb/ps is considered fast. I am using a one with the same speed and planning to go for 4 mb/ps from 22nd of this month (my cycle begins from that date). I am paying around $15 for 15 GB in a month for 2 mb/ps which goes down to 1/4th if my data is exhausted before the month end.

20. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Hope you are not using 4G mobile broadband. Its speed is quite impressive if there is a coverage. But the sad fact is that a major part of our country is yet to be covered under 4G. I think the rate of Internet is going to lower drastically in years to come. Now I pay less than $1 / GB which will be lowered again in a few months I guess because due to stiff competition in mobile telecom service they are going to launch an unlimited night plan at throw away prices.