How Does Terrorism Influence Your Travel Plans?

Discussion in Travel started by Dino Rex • Jun 30, 2016.

1. Dino Rex

Dino RexNew Member

Threads:
    The risk of being victim of terrorism while traveling has been in ascent in the last decade. The attacks that once were centered on airplanes have spread to hotels, tourist’s hotspots and, as seen recently, airports. In fact, just about any gathering that reaches a level attractive to a terrorist is today a possible target. In my case I have to admit that terrorists have been partially successful in instilling fear. I would not think of traveling to most parts of the world, even to countries like China (where you expect an iron control of everyday activities) unless there is a direct flight from a ´´safe´´ city, say somewhere in the US or Canada. Sadly, Europe is not included in my travel plans.

So I am left with North America (because of rigorous security) and places which do not seem to be of interest to terrorists, like the Caribbean and Latin America, although the latter carries some danger from common criminals.

What kind of world will be leave to our children?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We were in Bangkok when the Brussels bombing happened. I remember having breakfast in the hotel while the tv was showing the news of the brutal bombing by suspected ISIS suicide bombers. My niece said that it is scary and she even hinted that if the Bangkok airport is bombed, how can we go home. By that statement, it is obvious that terrorism turns off travelers. As a tourist, my main concern is safety so if those bombings would persist, we probably would stop traveling for the moment.

PS. We were in Hongkong last weekend and fortunately nothing untoward happened.

3. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    It’s common sense to consider if the country you are going to is safe before you board a plane towards it. Terrorism is now a global problem and no country is safe. Most countries release advisories about countries wherein the risk for terrorism is high. These advisories are usually released through tourism agencies. If a country you are planning to visit has a heightened terrorism alert level, it’s best that you postpone your trip or go find another country to visit.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say Central and South America is immune to terrorist attacks. That's probably because there are fewer radical Islamists living there.

That said, I think it's wise not to travel to North Africa, the Middle East and some parts of Europe because some of these places are swarming with terrorists.

In any case travel at home can be cheaper.

5. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I consider a country's overall crime rate and the general safety of other tourists before I visit. Some countries that aren't necessarily the safest haven't completely deterred me from travelling there altogether, but it has changed where I have stayed, precautions I have taken, and with whom I have as a travelling companion. I think the more that we let things like terrorist attacks disrupt how we live, the more we essentially let the terrorists know that they've accomplished their mission. It makes me sick that people actually think that hurting people is the way to get a religious agenda accomplished.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One should always travel with caution because it's not only where you go but what nationality you are. Certain ones are targeted as potential hostages. I know when I was in Nepal a few years back, they recommended all US and UK citizens not to travel because of the possibility of hostage taking.

People must respect that and not go against the advice. Sadly terrorism is everywhere, but one must be alert and not take unnecessary risks.

7. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like all of this terrorist activity is all just setups, and I truly believe that governments are involved. There are so many places around this planet which have never had any terrorist activities occur.

I wonder why many nations that are literally next to those that have terrorist in them never get attacked. There are many countries in the middle east that never get attacked by the other countries in the middle east that have all the terrorist...suspicious to me.

It influences mines a lot because I don't want to end up getting blown up. It makes me want to move to those places that have never had attacks.