How Do You Start Saving Without A Job?

Discussion in Personal Finance started by mildredtabitha • Sep 1, 2017.

1. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I have realized that it is difficult to save without a job. I am currently a student and will graduate next year. I decided to do online jobs like, writing, posting and completing offers. I am good at saving and the extra cash I get from these sites will help me save. I was taught how to save since I was a kid and I have always liked the outcome and benefits of saving.

How do you save without a job and what is the source of your earnings?

2. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    When I had no job, I started with online stuff. I posted on forums and earned money. I wrote articles and got paid. I saved every single penny. And that's how the money was saved by money. Once I earned enough to live on then I started to spend like normal people. Till then I was saving very strictly. I also had some of the issues with the inconsistent online income. And to manage that I spent a lot of time to find jobs that remain for longer time. It's hard but you have to hustle.

3. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is nice you have such goals in life to be financially independent even as a student. this is one virtue every being should thrive to have, which is the virtue of saving and being financially able to solve some financial needs. I was once a student, I mean I just graduated from the college and I must say that I never had this your wonderful idea of saving while at school. That really affected me when I graduated for I could not cater for most of my financial needs.

Anyways, I now work and even as the pay is nothing much compared to the current economic situation in the country I come from, I feel it is a good start rather than being idle at home. Also, I ventured into online work a few weeks ago and I must confess the drive to make it online has been magnificent and I am looking forward to saving at least 50% of my earnings online so that at a particular time, I would say that I made this amount through online business. I must develop the habit to save and with your post, I am motivated to do that.

4. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Saving is one of the difficult task anyone embarks on today and talk more of saving without actually having any paying job is seemly impossible but I know some dedicative people are doing quite fine. Just like you cited earlier writing online, articles and news fetches one some little money and anyone that understands the benefits of have money saved would be enabled to do so.

Now since it's visible one can fetch money online, my concern is focused on those who don't have access to phones that would be used to access online blogs, forum and sites in order to fetch money from those places; what would be their fate and means of getting cash?

Now I would say they should take visiting their uncles and relatives to spend holidays with them, as I believe that after such visit and long stay, when they are ready to go back home, some money would be given to them as pocket money and they could save from such fund.

5. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    That is truly a hard way to save money because there is no money coming in. I have been a bum for quite some time because I want to pursue my profession. With that part of my life, saving my money was the hardest thing I've ever done because no matter what you do, you'll be spending some on a daily basis. With out any income, there is nothing to replenish the money spent.

6. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    Believe me it is very difficult to save without a job. I had gone through that phase early in my life. When I passed out of college, there was tremendous recession in job market. I was forced to sit at home looking for online opportunities. I was unable to find legit online jobs. My elder brother lended me some money. I used that money to invest in stocks and mutual funds. Luckily, I was able to get a decent profit from my investment. I saved that profit and used it in investing further. From that experience, I understood the value of money and how saving could be good for the uncertain future.

7. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    When I lost my job, I had to stop spending money in many different ways. I had a strict grocery budget and came up with ways to make meals that were cheap but still filled with veggies and healthy foods. I started using coupons and checking the sales ads for grocery stores. I didn't eat out at restaurants anymore and if I took the kids to do something, it was somewhere that was free. I had already started working online so I had a little money coming in from the sites I was working on. I searched for more options every day. I had money from my taxes that I am still living off. I took a little money out of my retirement fund to pay off my car so I didn't have to worry about that payment anymore and could lower my car insurance bill. It is hard but you can save a little money when you don't have a job. It might not be much but anything is better than nothing.

8. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    It can be very difficult to save money without a job but you can take a few measures to do so, by limiting your expenses and perhaps lowering your lifestyle.

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Basically with the allowance that I received from my parents and the money that I could make by writing as a freelancer (it was a floating value, but very cool most of the time).

10. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    It's quite difficult to save without a job as this would mean that your sole source of cash is the allowance from your parents or relatives. The best thing you can do under the circumstances is to cut back on unnecessary expenses, bring food to school, and walk to and from school whenever possible. If you really want to save substantial cash, then you'll need to find a part time job that will be compatible with your school schedule.

11. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I'd never rely on parents income. My father never willingly gave me money. And that forced me to hustle. And I also learned how to save money. I think when you are forced to live on few dollars that is the time you learn how to save. And that is something that happened to me. I learned a lot about saving through this type of the stuff. So it all comes down to the mindset of saving and also taking more risk to earn more money. More money earning eventually solves the saving problem.

12. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I always had a certain advantage in saving money because it was a natural thing for me. I mean, since I was a child I always did it and thanks to God after I became an adult it didn't change. :D

13. Chinesemom

ChinesemomNew Member

Threads:
    Hi everyone,

It is hard to save in mine and my hun's case because we both work and because we pay weekly for a studio since the 8th, it is much harder to.
    Both of us earn a reliable source of income working for various agencies and direct deposit is what we both like. I earn a bit of online income which I would like to get back on so I can stack more money on top of what I'm getting. Stop going out to eat while cooking things up at home. Use coupons especially the apps that pays you to shop. Do some mystery shopping since you might as well get paid to shop. Utilize everything of what you can get and even though it's hard, it's not impossible.

14. ACEP

ACEPMember

Threads:
    I used to be a rogue spender but now, I am eager to change my ways. I usually take a look through my bedroom for items or collectibles I'm now happy to part ways with. Things that I maybe no longer need. Yes, we're all emotionally attached to things, but for me able to have money, I used to sell things that I don't need.

I also find work online. If you're lazy enough to work at the office because of the traffic, find a work online. There is a variety of work online.

15. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    Very well said. Making post, articles and generally earning online is a viable Idea but I don't agree with with you about visiting relatives for hand outs. If a person cannot access the net, there are other things you could do offline.

You can take up tutoring, babysitting, and some delivering services. There are so many dignified things to do online that could help you save.

16. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    For me, I have a few online jobs that help give me some good pocket money. The trick to save up is to simply not buy anything that you don't need or isn't too great a value. Try limiting on what you want to buy. Live the money you earned from online untouched for a while until it grows.

17. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @Keibah@Keibah Well on the rendering services of babysitting, I totally agree with you but you should bear in mind that such job doesn't come easy at least from my area of locality Nigeria as a case of study but if one can actually get such chance to work as a babysitter, it's definitely going to generate a reasonable amount of money for the individual.

Now on tutoring, it's going to pay if such person really is good at it. You don't just up and go start teaching. You should have it mind that most people aren't good with being a teacher, as it's not an easy task in my opinion.

18. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    Well I agree with you that some of the jobs don't come easy but it is better to try your hands on something than do nothing. I'm Nigerian too and I know how hard the country is. That is why we need to work extra hard to earn a living. Same reason why you and I are here. Lol

19. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    You are very funny, I just got hooked up laughing myself out this morning by that statement "Same reason why you and I are here" :D but in reality it's all true. Nothing ever comes from being idle and lazy. One has got to be open in engaging in several opportunities to make a living and see both ends meet. From where I come from, it's a curse to be idle when you are healthy and hearty.

20. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't also go to relatives for any sort of help for they can end up saying no and that can be disgraceful to someone like me. I always work hard to get better on a daily basis for I believe that it is the best way to remain relevant to myself and family in life.