How Do You Save On Water For Your Laundry?

Discussion in Utilities started by remnant • May 21, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    When I am doing general laundry, I usually make sure that I leave them overnight in a tub so that dirt and grime would therefore be easy to dislodge. I also wash using vinegar which is a very fast stain and dirt remover and only a small amount is required. Lastly, I make sure to wash the dirtiest and dark coloured clothes last. This saves on both water bills and detergent expenses.

2. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well we do have an efficient washing machine, but I am not sure how much that actually saves. Other than that I really try to be smart with my washing, only washing what I need and use and try to pack the thing when I do use it. I feel like a lot is wasted when people just wash one or two things, which has always been a pet peeve of mine. I have not tried the vinegar trick but I have heard of it before, so I might have to give that one a shot.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For two months now, my country has been suffering from drought brought about by the El Niño phenomenon. Aside from crops dying, our water sources such as wells and dams have nearly run dry. Thankfully, La Niña came in the nick of time, so we're hoping we can recover the water we lost but hopefully sans the awful typhoons and storm surges.

To save up on laundry, I simply use rain water to wash clothes and regular water for rinsing. The dirty residue can be used to water non-potted plants or flush the toilet.

4. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    Doing my laundry sometimes gets in my nerves as I normally buy water.This means that when I want to wash my clothes,I must spend quite a sum in buying water.I have deviced methods to enable me save on my cash and at the same time making sure I am clean.

I usually make sure I do not pile up clothes.After 2-3 days I must do my laundry.Before I wash them,I soak them the night before and this helps alot.It ensures I do not use alot of water.Another thing is that I wear my jeans trousers twice before washing them.At the end of the day I find that am able to save on the amount spent on buying water.

5. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    We don't soak clothes overnight because that will cause the fabric to deteriorate faster than usual. To lessen the rinsing cycles and save on laundry water, we use a detergent that does not produce too much suds. We also wash by bulk whether by hand or with the washing machine. We use the same water to wash the white clothes and the colored clothes later. Another way to save on laundry water is to be mindful of the use or change of clothes so that there'll be less clothes to wash.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have one of the old-fashioned wringer washers, and it was great for saving water. At the time that I had the wringer washer, we had to haul in the water. It was free to get the water from the city park, so we didn't actually have to buy the water, but it took time and gas money to drive to town, fill up the barrels and then drive back home with the water.
    When I washed my clothing, I first washed white sheets, and all of the while or very light colored clothing first, rinsed it, and hung it out on the line to dry in the sun (where it was naturally bleached by the sun).
    Then, I used the same water and washed the medium colored clothing, rinsed and hung that out to dry, and finally, all of the dark colored and very dirty clothes get that was used to work in. Dark clothes were hung in the shade when possible so that they didn't fade from being in the sun.
    By doing this, I saved a lot of water; but this is not possible with one of the modern washing machines that uses a lot of water fro each load of clothes.

7. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I'm lucky always have enough water at home in fact it flows all day and if there is shortage it will only last a few hours. So I am not economising water to do my laundry. I just use water according to how much of it I should need for my laundry. I ensure there is no wastage. If for instance I have to make do with small available wter, my worry hope I can still have a thorough cleaned clothes from the limited water.

8. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I try to make sure that I have enough laundry for full loads so that it saves water. I also use vinegar in my laundry to keep colors from running and to help freshen towels. I don't really have any other ways that I save water while doing laundry other than adjusting the size of the load on the washer to match the amount of laundry that I am doing.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I always ensure that I apply a load appropriate situation. That is if I have a few pieces of clothes to wash, then I will set a small load instead of a medium or full load which would utilize more water than is necessary. That's the only option that would be available to save water because the washer is an automatic cycle unit which does not allow for any intervention in the water usage.

10. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    usually, I hand wash my clothes. When you hand wash, you can save a lot if water. Furthermore, you will also be saving energy if you are not using a washing machine. In my experience, hand washed clothes last longer than the machine washed clothes. When I use a washing machine, I always use maximum load, this also saves water.

11. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It may sound absurd but we hand-wash our laundry because we don’t have a washing machine. My wife is not comfortable with the washing machine for she thinks the fabric of the clothes are easily ruined. We have a laundrywoman who wash our clothes twice a week. The soapy water of the laundry is used to clean the concrete parts outside the house which is rinsed by the rinsing water from the laundry. At least we can save a little water that way by reusing laundry water.

12. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    It is impossible for me to do this. I use a washing machine but I do use the eco wash button which I think means it uses less water. As all the water drains away I'm not able to use it for something else.

My dishwashing water is used to clean out my rubbish bin though. So I save a bit of water that way.

13. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I too soak my clothes in water the entire night and try to wash every single day to prevent huge piles of clothes. I guess not owning a washing machine really saves some water as I only use the right amount I really need. Using vinegar is a good idea so I will try that method so it will be easier on me with less harsh scrubbing.

14. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I simply just choose 2 rinses instead of 3 when I'm washing my clothes, I mostly use the washing machine. The only type of clothes that I handwash nowadays are my undies and those that have hard to remove stains.

15. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I use the first rinse and final rinse water to water non edible plants in my garden. Small amount of soap can fertilize plants. I wont use it for my veggie garden though. I use the soapy water to clean my bathroom because the soap still works for cleaning.

16. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    I get free water in my neighborhood now but once upon a time we were buying every drop of water we used so we started doing laundry weekly instead of our traditional daily.

I don't soak the clothes overnight, I just separate the white clothes and wash them with bleach. I wash dark colors separately from light colors as well. I think that way I save a little water.

17. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Well one way you can save money on laundry is imply trying to limit when exactly you have to use the laundry and how many clothes or fabric you have to wash within the weeks and months. You could try to hand wash it yourself, using water from the sink and dish soap to wash your clothing. It might take longer but it could be cheaper.

18. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly tried to do some of the laundry with the recent updated laundry options in the office. They seem to be saving a lot of money and water at the same time. I guess they have these new steam machines. And they are adding some good infrastructure to maintain them. So doing all of that from there definitely helps a lot. That's what I have learned.