How do you save money for plane tickets?

Discussion in Travel started by True2marie • Dec 2, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    The most obvious way to save money flying anywhere is to go coach and through an economy airline. What else can you do? I have tried visiting Websites that boast of offering the lowest prices for airfare, but I am not sure if they work or not.

2. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    One way to do it is to earn miles points. And expedia has got some great deals as well when it comes to airfare.

3. dickybird

dickybirdNew Member

Threads:
    To save money when buying an airline ticket I always look at comparison sites. Personally, I think the best one to use is Skyscanner. Basically you can choose any time, any place, direct or indirect and any date. I live in Turkey and obviously at this time of year I travel back to England to spend Christmas with my family. The area where I live does not do direct flights over winter. However by using Skyscanner and filtering the flights I discovered that one travel company does do four flights over the festive period. So I paid a reasonable price to fly the short way home!!!

4. Sarah Ali

Sarah AliNew Member

Threads:
    I call my parents and ask them if they would love to (donate) for an airplane ticket. I don't think I can do that forever, though. At least until I graduate college.
    One way is to book a ticket at least a month or two before your flight. I always do that because later the prices just keeps getting higher until they eventually double. Some of my friends get their tickets from websites of some sort; they got great deals but the rates keep changing. If you find what you are looking for buy the ticket because the prices will get higher the day after.

5. sophiax222

sophiax222Banned

Threads:
    I save money on plane tickets by comparing prices on cheapflights.com or traveladvisor.com. Recently, I bought two tickets to and from New York and Los Angeles for the winter. I found that the best day to fly is Wednesday. Since it is in the middle of the week, not a lot of people will fly on that day. Also, be sure to Google search "cheap flight tickets" - many ticket deals can be found on the internet.

6. wwalford

wwalfordNew Member

Threads:
    In South Africa there are many sites that boast the best prices but when you go book it yourself directly through the airline it comes out cheaper. We have a really nice deal with out medical aid. If you belong to this medical aid when you book you add your medical aid number and you get around 15% to 20% discount. Work really well. Not sure why a medical aid and airline are linked together but hey I get great discounts. Also book early. Pretty much every week closer to the date you want to fly the tickets get more and more expensive.

7. himalipatel

himalipatelMember

Threads:
    some website offers deals and discount offers on the plane tickets. so i book from that site. And the some airlines has also low rate if we book well in advance(before 3 to 4 months).

8. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    For me, I have a special savings account for pleasure/fun. That includes: travel, shopping, dinner with friends, happy hour, etc. I use that account strictly for fun things. So I'm always depositing a little money here and there into it.