How Do You Feel About Selling Your Baby Pets?

Discussion in Pets started by Kieranlewix • Nov 9, 2017.

1. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    Be it puppies, kittens or any other young of your pets, have you thought about selling them? Personally, I think that is a great idea and I have started to do it. I have discovered that it saves on cash. There are some pets you can not handle this way e.g. the goldfish as they have a really high death rate. Actually, I think they are the most delicate pets. I have bought my kid a goldfish so many times and one way or the other, I always end up flushing the dead goldfish in the toilet. Sometimes the cat eats the pet and my daughter cries so much. I am currently in my third generation of pets. I started off with two puppies, a male and a female one. I also had a male and a female kitten. The four grew up together so they did not fight, like many cats and dogs do. After the dogs and cats reached maturity, I had a litter of puppies and kittens join the family. Soon after that I kept two puppies, male and female, and also two kittens, male and female. I sold the rest of the young, and also both sets of parents. The process occured again and now I am rearing my third generation. I think it's a pretty good idea and now I don't have to buy pets all the time.

2. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Thankfully I cannot say that I have had to do this because I am not sure that I would take it so well. This would be tough, but I also know that keeping them all and raising multiple pups or kittens is a lot of work too, and spreading the joy is good.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that this is a home-based hobby that can work out well, providing that you have purebred puppies, ar one of the designer breeds that sell as well as the purebred puppies do.
    Out here we see a lot of abandoned, starving pit bulls, and it is both sad and needless. People raise and sell the puppies, and they make some money selling the pups, but most rental apartments and even some houses will not let the renter have a Pitbull, so it just gets abandoned when they move.
    There are so many people that are raising and selling these puppies that the whole area is way overcrowded with them, and since it is so easy to get an adult Pitbull for free, even the puppies do not bring in much money when they are sold. This means that the breeder has to keep raising puppies and selling them in order to make much money from Pitbulls.
    On the other hand, people who pay $500 for a Yorkie puppy will usually take excellent care of that little dog, and if they only bought it for a pet, they almost always have them neutered so that there are no accidental litters of puppies.

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I would think it's the best idea because sometimes they are too much to handle especially when there are too many. It is best for the baby animals so they can get better care. I think the babies would appreciate it more as they will get the attention they need.

5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    When I was little we had a cat which had 3 kittens. My parents made the decision to give them away and I cried and cried because they were so cute and I wanted to keep them all.

I am grown up now and can see that it would have been hard to keep them all and feed them so I would never breed an animal just to make money out of them. When I have animal I make sure they are neutered to make sure it doesn't happen.

6. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    If I feel that I have more than enough pets, I will opt to sell some of the babies for cash. I will look for buyers who have the best prices. I can then use the money to purchase for the remaining pets food and treatment drugs, and also to maintain their kennels.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of our neighbors sell the puppies of their dogs to recoup the expenses. I understand that it’s not a business at all but breeding dogs for selling is not a good idea to me. Whenever they would sell the puppies, the neighbor would tell us that she is sad because she misses the puppies. You see? That’s the hard part – the emotional effect of parting with the puppies.

8. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    Plus, you'd need to be careful when it comes to the question of WHY are some people interested in buying the pets?
    Experimentation? You just never know, there are some creepy people out there, and also research labs sending people out to get pets to do studies on, cruel studies.
    Honestly, the only people I'd feel comfortable giving kittens or puppies away to (if one of my animals had babies, which they won't because they've all been spayed/neutered) ... would be a very close friend or a family member. I wouldn't charge them $$, I'd just be grateful the kitten or puppy was going to a good home, AND that I could keep an eye on them and their well-being.
    Note: Whether you decide to sell pets or not, it's always a good idea to offer the buyer a FULL refund plus the promise to take the pet back if things didn't work out. Otherwise, the poor animal will suffer, like just being dumped somewhere. Most of the time, it will (hopefully) work out anyway, but still, always good to let the person know they have options if they start having second thoughts, or if the animal simply isn't happy in their new home after a while. And fully investigate the person's living situation, how many pets do they already have? Where do they live? Do they have enough money to care for a new pet? And most importantly, OCCUPATION. Do they work for a research lab? If the answer is yes, then RUN. And take the animal with you.

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not open to the idea of selling baby pets as I consider them family. I'd really rather avoid having them produce offspring that I can't handle than for me to sell their babies. I only have one dog, for example, a female, and she's confined within the gates so she won't really get pregnant unless I go out of my way to have her mate with another dog. Even if she does get pregnant, I doubt if I can sell the puppies as people can have dogs for free here.

I have three female cats and even if they do produce live kittens, I doubt if anyone in his/her right mind will buy them. Oh, they're cute, really, but you'd see a lot of stray cats around. The two cats have had two pregnancies with no surviving kittens while their mother has not gotten pregnant for a year so I haven't really thought about spaying them. Actually, even giving them away as gifts is a no no for me. It will hurt to give those cutie ones away and I would feel like I'm betraying their mother's trust in me. I can't do that. Just the thought makes me cry. It will also break my son's heart which is even more painful for me. :(

10. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I think I won't be able to do this even if the profits are high. I treat my pets and their young as my family so I just don't feel it's right for me to sell their young. Though I have nothing against people who do this, what I'm saying it's not for me to do.

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I am more of a cat lover than a dog lover, so if my pet cat would give birth I don't think I could sell the kittens. But if our Belgian Malanoise were to give birth to puppies then I would definitely sell them, that would earn me a substantial amount of money.