How Do You Cut Your Costs During Your Travel

Discussion in Travel started by luri • Aug 18, 2017.

1. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Do you care about your spending while traveling. For example, would you stay on cheap hotels eat in a simple resturant or eat simple food to cut traveling costs. Or you don't mind how much money you are spending.

2. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I do always try to save money while traveling. I stay up in an affordable hotel with a cheaper price with the basic amenities because most of the times I travel alone. My first priority, however, would be to safety, then food and then the price. So I just try to save wherever possible by not spending money on unnecessary things.

3. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I travel, the only problem I would have is budgeting the expenses for food since I really love eating. There was one time that I traveled a 9 hour drive and I bought a lot of chips and drinks that I can eat while on the bus for that long. So I started to try sleeping if it would be 9 hours before I arrive at the destination the next time I went there. I saved a lot since I never touched any of the food I brought. About hotels, I tend to stay in the cheapest I can find but I would not sacrifice comfort over cheap prices.

4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Staying in hostels (the prices are always great) and visiting places with free tickets. As for food, I always look for places with the most affordable prices.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Regarding the US, some motel chains are cheaper. Also, for people who want to go to extremes, there are parks where you can put up a tent. Finally, if you live in South Korea, and there might be similar places in other nations, they have these special hotels with shared showers and a sleeping mat (on the floor) in the room.

6. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I think that we all expect to spend a little on going out and eating and drinking, so limiting yourself there and just having enough for the experience, but no excess, is really important for me.

7. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:

Whenever I am on a trip, I ensure I save cost on things I eat, the accommodation I take and other related things. On where I lodge into, I try as much as I can to check if I have a friend living in the area I am going to so as to ask if there would be accommodation for me there.

I also check out cheaper restaurants where I can eat, or preferably if I am going on a long journey, I make food at home and carry it with me. I try as much as I can to be frugal in my spending to avoid issues of running out of cash while on the trip. I advised others should be careful how they spend as well while on a journey to avoid being stranded as a result of lack of money.

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are in the airport right now, waiting for our flight back home. We booked in a 5 star hotel on a promo so it costs us only $400 for 4 days. Take note of the free buffet breakfast for 2 which costs $40. That means we saved $160 for the 4 days. That's one of the good deal we had in Jakarta.

9. Paige J

Paige JNew Member

Threads:
    I always try and save money with whatever it is I'm doing. Research is key to finding the best prices for traveling. Look into whether or not it would be cheaper to do an all-inclusive vacation, or if it's cheaper to buy everything separately. Also the app called Hopper is really helpful for showing the best time to buy plane tickets for your trips. What I typically try and do is set aside an amount of money for each day I'm away. I try to avoid spending the full amount I set aside for myself, so by the end of the trip I will still have money leftover. This is also a good practice in case of emergency while you're traveling as well. Always keep a backup fund that you do not spend at all.

10. vashk

vashkNew Member

Threads:
    Of course. You don't want to end up being broke while on a trip to some new place. The future does matter. Being that it's hard to stay on budget whenever one is on trips. I have like different credit cards. I only take one. The one where I save money for my trips. This way, I can stay in control of my finances. At the same time, I do my research about where I need to go and where I want to stay and the nice things in the places so that I can set a budget that suits the place. Planning ahead does save a person from disappointment, overspending, and lack of satisfaction. Also, using travel agents can help some of the traveling problems.

11. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    My wife is good at this. She would look for the best deal that is offered on the internet, like free breakfast, or the hotel would be near to the place we are visiting. My contribution would be the food. I would look for the most inexpensive Chinese restaurant in the area. No matter what you ordered in a Chinese restaurant, the food is always good for 3-4 people. So the left overs would be taken out food, and that will serve as our dinner.

12. lucykey

lucykeyMember

Threads:
    As much as I like travelling, I will do anything to ensure I meet my travelling costs. But I can't restrain myself from eating good food in good hotels to cut on my travel costs. I cut on my travelling costs by traveling off season.

13. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    For the sake of simplicity, I would just outline what I normally do to cut down my spending during traveling. They are as follows :

1. Make my own food at home and take it while traveling.

2. Avoid eating in public restaurants.

3. Time my journey, so I don't get to be forced to lodge in a hotel.

4. Make use of trusted transport company in order not to have our vehicle breakdown in the middle of nowhere and it's definitely going to cost one extra money to find his or her way.

14. BMT1014

BMT1014Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do really care to save money when traveling. When it comes to the hotel, I usually booked in advance. Some hotels give you a big discount if you will book in advance. We usually do not eat in an expensive restaurant. There are so many affordable street food in every country. There are a lot of ways to save money when traveling. I don't buy things that it's not really needed. Buying a souvenir like a refrigerator magnet is enough for me. Anyway, I spend my holiday to see the place, enjoy the food and not to do shopping.

#14Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  15. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    There are plenty of travel portals online. And a lot of them are offering the information about the travel and other stuff. I have learned that cost of the travel may up and down on that basis. And another thing is through the cashback sites. Those sites always help with the spending on the travel. And many other types of the discounts. So it's reasonable to make use of those travel options out there.

16. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I like to stay with friends when I am on vacation to save money, but only in a non intrusive way of course-and especially if it works out ok the first time-it could become
    a annual thing. I think if you are ready to adjust your sleeping habits -like getting up early and out the door, before the family gets up to use the kitchen it can work out. Also if you sleep in-get used to people letting the dog out-and walking past you while you sleep. To help out-you could take the family out to dinner or help buy the groceries to show your gratitude.

#16Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  17. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I must be honest here. I do not mind spending as there is no point in cribbing and getting back with disappointments. I am passionate about travel and do have a budget for it. I do not spend on jewellery or diamonds but will be lavish when it comes to travel.

18. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, I always take care of the money I spend when I travel. I cut spending as much as I can, I look to sleep to people from villages or people that live around the place I must visit, I eat at from smalls places from where I buy a hot dog or hamburger but not a full meal at a restaurant!