How Did You Your Bring Your Pet?

Discussion in Pets started by Ray1 • Sep 10, 2017.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean most people love their pet and they either buy them or get them as a gift from friends or relatives! Did you ever try bringing any pet from Animal Shelter? I think you can find a great animal companion at a nearby shelter that will be a great help to animals that need a home and you would find a great pet companion too.

2. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I would totally get my pet from an animal shelter. There are so many that need homes and a good family to love them. Most of the ones that are sold in pet stores are from puppy mills and they mistreat their animals. It is very sad that they would do this for money. I didn't get my pet from a shelter, but I did get her from a neighbor who was going to put her in one because he couldn't take care of her. I was afraid that since she was a Pit Bull she would be euthanized. My kids had fallen in love with her anyway. I am glad that I did because she has become such an important part of our family.

3. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have an animal shelter in my country so we usually get our pets from a pet store or from a relative. We buy pets from a pet store if it is not as regular as cats and dogs like a turtle, love birds or fish. We get some of our pets from relatives that may have more than a few to handle. Most of them are like cats, dogs, rabbit or a hamster.

4. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any pet at the moment, but I could recall clearly that when my grandmom got her pet dog, that it was as a result of the good relationship she has with a neighbour living close to us that made her buy the pet from her the dog has been quite a good dog since it came into her house.

5. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    Many of my cats have been refugees from animal shelters. I will typically look for the older animals who nobody wants and give them a warm, loving place to spend their last years. I have never met one who wasn't extremely grateful for it, either!

In more recent years all of my cats have been strays. This town is simply overrun with homeless animals who suffer terribly and freeze to death in the winter. I have invited many of them in to live as space opens up. The truly feral ones cannot be reasoned with, but if you're lucky enough to find one who is friendly they will be true friends their whole life for ending their suffering.

6. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    There was actually a story on the news today about overcrowding at the animal shelter, and it was so sad to see all the little animals there needing a home. I wish I had the means to take more, but hopefully someone will step up.

7. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    My cat family started with one small stray cat who wandered within our gates and waited for food. After some time, she got comfortable and decided that our house was worth living in so she started coming indoors. She had a few litters but only two had managed to survive for the past two years. My dog was a mixed breed that was given to me by a neighbor. I don't buy pets as there are just too many waiting to be adopted. Although they're not pure breds, my pets are all well-behaved and they're part of my family.

Unfortunately, animal shelters are too far from my place and transporting animals would not be easy. Getting a pet from animal shelters has its benefits as animals like cats and dogs are usually litter-trained, dewormed, and vaccinated at the shelter.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Punkin@Punkin I appreciate your giving a chance to a pet in fact so many of them. Just imagine a scared cat, or any pet for that matter in needs of care is one of the most rewarding things you will ever do.

I suggest everyone that if you have spare place in your home and and more than that in your heart to adopt one homeless animal go for it. Maybe you are in for a great surprise and the one you adopted is also looking for a special someone whom they will love too for rest of their life.

#8Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2017
  9. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    We have a big history of pests that grew and left this world one living up to 16 years. Two were bought, one was gifted and there were strays too. The last one Preiti just walked in to our compound when she was a puppy. We took her in and today she is a dignified lady - a great companion

DSC04078.JPG

10. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    Older dogs from the shelter will never show the same level of the trust and companionship like a one that was brought in while being just a puppy.
    It is not safe to keep adult dogs from the shelter near your kids because the shelter staff can lie about the dog's history.
    If a dog was kept in the shelter from the birth on he would make a lousy watch dog because he will be thought that all humans are good and he won't defend his territory.
    This is what I know about the dogs.
    They are highly intelligent and emotional, so it is better to get a young puppy.

If you want a cat, you can get one wherever of whatever age.
    They adjust really quickly and usually one medical is enough to determine what their needs are.
    Their emotional needs are basically reduced to the food, toilet and occasional petting. Low maintenance.

11. DavidLee

DavidLeeMember

Threads:
    I brought my dog from someone outside a Mall. ''Sunny'' (the dog) was so cute then, that I decided to withdraw my 150bucks to take him home with me that evening. I had no plans at all of getting a pet that real soon,I just felt inside that that was a heaven-sent buddy of mine and he's truly been a blessing to me ever since I got him to my life.

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I loved your reasoning about dogs and cats but if you care to look at the link provided below (I live in Sydney) then you would probably change some of your opinions about dogs and shelters (I said probably) and then you do not have to pay for them but they are your's for asking. You can donate some money to shelter but that's your choice not an obligation.
    Not a ref link please

13. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    You just sent me a message in which you explained that you live and reside in India, not the Philippines like your link says, now you are in Sydney.
    As for the dogs, I have the experience as a volunteer.
    If you donate to the animal shelter yourself it is a really nice thing. Keep the good work.

14. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    We had a cat, a black cat that I have found on the street, I don't know if she had a master or not, I called him to me, he came and I took it home. He had this cat for more than three years until one day when he didn't come back home.
    I guess someone killed him because he always was going to my neighbor's birds to eat them.

15. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    As for me, all my pets were either given or adopted, my latest kitten I just picked up in front of our gate. But the rest of my family members buy their preferred breed though, and it's dogs, not cats, and some dogs were also given to them.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am an Indian citizen from NCR region of my country working for an Indian multinational posted at Sydney (Off and ON) for years. I know almost as much about Australia as I know about India with my status of PR Visa Holder which gives me all the powers as a citizen barring voting in election. I can get those powers too provided I apply for citizenship and give up my Indian citizenship. Yes, I prefer donating to various charities including environment, seniors and animals as much as I can. After all animals are as much part of this world and need our care as much we can. Thanks for your mention of everything.

17. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    Getting pets from an animal shelter is a really good idea. It is humane to give these animals a place to call home. I have not heard of an animal shelter near my area of residence and reading your post makes me want to start my own. It would be really hard to feed all the animals and house them till they get new owners though. Where would I get them from anyway? There is no animal control people in my country and animals roam around freely. In fact, the number of dogs that are run over by speeding vehicles is increasing every day. I have a couple of cats myself. I started off with two and gradually they have been reproducing and I sell the kittens and keep two so that the bloodline can progress.