Hiring Or Using Public Means Of Transport During Travel?

Discussion in Travel started by lucykey • Oct 23, 2017.

1. lucykey

lucykeyMember

Threads:
    I like traveling a lot. With my attitude towards my hobby of traveling, I look for the means of transport that guarantees my comfort. Using public means of transport makes it uncomfortable for me because you find sometimes they charge high prices maybe during the holiday seasons and you have to book like 2 days before travel time.This may cause so much inconveniences. I would rather hire a personal car which guarantees my comfort and it is faster than the public means of transport.

2. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I have never hired a car before when I go on holiday. I would consider hiring a camper van just for a holiday but the prices are outrageous here in the UK so it is easier for me to take my own car and then use public transport when I am there. I'm not a big traveller so it would only be on a very rare occasion if I did.

3. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely travel. I only do when my pockets allow me to or I have a really long vacation day like a week or so (yup, means only Christmas vacation day). And so I really make the most out of it.. I like meeting people and seeing new faces everyday, so I will go for using the public transport as a way of travelling.

4. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never hired a personal car before and we always use public transport. It is true that the fare is high on holidays and as a family, we always travel earlier. I think comfort while traveling is important and your method is good.

As a family, we have always been focusing on price and forget comfort. I think it is important to be comfortable because it is our money we are spending and I will now make this my goal :D thanks to your post.

5. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I usually use public transport because I like to explore places that are new to me, but I consider the situation at risk... Because when it exists, I prefer to rent a car or take a cab.

6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    You always have to calculate the toll fee and gas expense everytime you travel long distances. If you will spend more when you travel using your car then taking the public transportation would be the better option, since you only have to pay for the fare.

7. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I think its safer to hire a car service like Uber when on a holiday, especially if you are not too familiar with the environment. Public transport may be cheaper but you may end up getting off and on several stops or even changing modes of transport. Personally I prefer to just sit back and relax while on a holiday. I don't want to drive or have to hopp off and on a public bus.

8. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I love traveling a lot and that is why I purchased my own means of transport. If there is a time I would need other means of transport apart from mine, I would board a public vehicle. Public means of transport appears to be cheaper as compared to hiring a private car. Most vehicle companies charge fare depending on the fuel consumption. I believe that when passengers are many in a vehicle, fare tends to come down since they 'contribute' towards the fuel. On the other hand, in a hired car, you will have to pay for the fuel alone, which becomes expensive.

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that as a tourist, you should be comfortable in roaming the country you visited. However, renting a private car or taxicab is not practical since it is very expensive. We went to Taiwan's capital city Taipei last month and we were offered by a friend to rent his cousin's car with a driver so we would be comfortable in touring the place. The daily rent is $50 excluding the service fee of the driver. Gee, isn't that big money to throw away? What we did was to research on the public transport like bus or train. Next week we are going to Singapore and we already had prepared a plan for going from the airport to the hotel. Bus or train costs around $6 for 2 persons while taking a taxi for the same distance would cost us $20.

10. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I seldom travel anymore, and for the short trips i do take (such as down to the supermarket for groceries), I always take my own vehicle. I have a friend who does not have a car anymore, and I usually take her along with me if she needs to go to the store as well.
    There is a service here in our town , called HandiRide. It is different than the regular public transportation busses. It is only for people who are are either older with no vehicle, or are disabled for some reason.
    My friend , Evelyn , uses this for transportation when she needs to go somewhere and I am not there to take her. It costs more than a city bus does, but less than taking a taxi, and she can call and they pick her up at her apartment, and then take her back home again when she is ready to go back home.
    If I did not have a vehicle, this is probably what I would do for transportation as well. You do not have to stand at a bus stop waiting for a bus to arrive, and still it is cheaper than calling for a taxi to come and get you. So, the HandiRide is somewhere between public transportation and a taxi service.

11. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I would suggest packing light and simply traveling n your own, it saves you s lot of time and money that why. However, if you truly want to use public transportation I would suggest calling a cab or uber in advance to help get you around. Try to find out the price beforehand and make sure it is within your budget.

12. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I usually travel light and with family on vacations, but there are many ways to travel these days including flying,driving,or taking a train or bus as well. You have Amtrak and Greyhound to get around if you do not have a car,but I would travel the best way that is comfortable for you. For fast trips going short distances, I would pick the bus or train,and for longer trips you could take a plane if you do not have your own transport. When you get to your destination, you could walk or rent a bicycle as well.

13. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I can usually sacrifice a little bit of comfort if it means saving some money, but it would also have to be a shorter trip. For the longer ones I might be more likely to splurge a bit.

14. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I like using public transportation if I am travelling very far say up to 35km. This is especially so if I am travelling alone or if I am not very conversant with the road yet. I see that one benefit of travelling with public bus is more economical. If I am going with private car I'd spend more money to service and fuel the car for the journey compared to taking a public bus.

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer traveling by public transport in place of my own car especially while traveling with my wife. However while traveling with relatives or friends we consider hiring a taxi which makes the travel more comfortable and personalized as we can chose where we want to stop on the way and enjoy few extra places as the payment is on kilometer basis. Besides stopping at places of our choice on the way we also find it easy moving to places.

16. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    If you are just touring around your country or locality hiring a transportation is expensive if you go alone, but if you are in a group it would minimize the expenses. It is the same case, in touring around the world. You can save more if you join with the tourist group or take a tourism promo than to go alone or hire your own car, transportation or whatever.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would love to save that way but my problem during group traveling is that I cannot adjust with group members that have no value for time. I mean I feel disgusted when people do not get up in time or spend too much time in one place doing nothing but pretending as if they were too tired. I prefer going with like minded people or with my wife who understands me perfectly.

18. AmieBotella

AmieBotellaNew Member

Threads:
    This actually depends on the country you're visiting. Before you go to a certain country for tour, better research for the routes and fares for each travel you'll be going. Usually in most Asian countries, travel by the public transportation is quite cheaper than renting a car. But of course, there are hassles with this type of travelling. There will be language barrier if you do not speak the language and travel by yourself. Also,you might get lost because of several transfers of vehicles to your destination if you're going to rural tourist places. With this setup, renting a vehicle is a wise choice. But if you're up to an adventure, it is much cheaper to use the public utility vehicles. It's also cheaper to hire a tourist guide sometimes.

A few years back, I once had the privilege to travel in Ireland. And when I was there, their trains are the most efficient ones to make use of when travelling. They seldom miss their schedules and they are so reliable with the time schedules. We decided to travel from Dublin to Cork that time by train and I was surprised that even though the travel was enjoyable, it was so expensive compared to renting a car and driving to it. So you see, it really all depends on the country you're visiting as to where you can save your money in transportation expenses.

19. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think if you want the cheap cost. It's reasonable to say that transport during on and off travel can be seriously risky. So it's better to use the public means if possible. It can save you from the issues of the taking cab or taxi in that sense. It can tell you a lot about how things work around here.