Heirloom Tomatoes

Discussion in Home & Garden started by deecee • May 24, 2012.

1. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    There is a lady in the town where I live that sells heirloom tomato seeds. She has dozens of types of tomatoes from all over the world. Are you a fan of heirlooms?

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Hi deecee! I love heirloom tomatoes! It's so funny because when I was a kid I absolutely hated tomatoes. I hated their texture and thought it was weird when a friend of mine would bite into one like an apple. I didn't start appreciated tomatoes until last year when I really got into cherry tomatoes.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I do love heirloom tomatoes and one year tried growing some in my garden. They didn't produce as well as my other tomato plants but they were really good to eat. My favorite tomato to grow are the cherry tomatoes. They are great to snack on and the plants usually produce a whole lot of them!

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here. My mother used to sprinkle a little salt on them and eat them like an apple. She also loved tomato sandwiches. I didn't like them because they were squishy in my mouth. Yes, I am finicky eater. Several years ago, I ate an organic tomato on a dare. It was so delicious. Now, I love tomatoes. My favorites are roma and heirloom. I like firm tomatoes.

5. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I love heirlooms! They do not have any of the chemicals or other adaptations the store bought seeds have. Then you do not have to be concerned about them genetically modified.

6. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    I love the heirlooms tomato too. We do a lot of cooking with tomatoes (going to jar, freezer... and of course on the table). We grow tomatoes at home but usually not heirlooms, we have very good heirlooms from our local organic farm (CSA cooperative). Now what is your best recipe for heirloom tomatoes ?

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    The only tomatoes I consider eating are fried, green tomatoes and for that I like a really firm tomato so it stands up to the process. Are there any heirlooms like that? How much do they go for?

8. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    Heirlooms are the only kind of tomatoes I'm willing to plant/eat over the summer. They are just so much more tasty than grocery store tomatoes or "Big Boy" varieties.

I love that they come in so many different colours: red, purple, green, yellow, orange! Tomatoes in my childhood were simply red or pink if they were under-ripe, but now that I've tasted heirlooms, I know the variety of colours that a tomato naturally comes in.

I tried growing some German purple heirlooms this summer and I was really excited and stuff. But too bad we suffered a terrible drought. So that my tomatoes barely produced. Sigh. Next year...

9. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I like all kinds of heirloom tomatoes. I really want to grow a few varieties, like orange red and purple next year. I have a problem getting tomatoes to grow really large and I know most heirloom tomatoes grow really big.

10. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I like heirloom tomatoes because they usually taste better and they are pollinated by insects or by the wind. I think they taste more like a tomato should and the colours are quite brillant,and come in solid yellow or pink colours- the great purple colours are wonderful also I think, and these darker tomatoes have a smokey and earthy sweetness to them as well.