Heating your home with a methane collection tank

Discussion in Heating started by JoshPosh • Sep 14, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    I talked about this on another thread. I watched a TV show about this one couple that had used their septic tank that was filled with human and pig feces, and they collected the odorless methane and used it for cooking. My thought was, why not not use it to heat The House as well? The logic is there.

Your thoughts?

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I was about to say that it's dangerous, I mean it is at some point but I think it's pretty a good way to save a lot on electricity if you need it for cooking or heating. The thing with this is that if you don't have enough... "raw materials" to produce the methane then it's probably not going to be helpful but you mentioned pigs so I guess they have a lot of sources.

3. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    It seems a bit dangerous to me. Obviously they would have to DIY the system and there are lots of possible problems that could arise. Not sure I'd feel comfortable messing around with gas. Saving a bit on bills isn't worth putting your family in danger, in my humble opinion.

4. jmoriarty630

jmoriarty630Banned

Threads:
    It really is dangerous. I would never try it. I'd never put my life at risk just to save some money.

5. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    For large gatherings and parties we would set up propane tank heaters around the party area. Some of you have experienced these at restaurants that have outdoor seating and it gets chilly.

6. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    This just isn't a practical idea for most people. It may be good for those with a septic tank, but you would have to do some modifications to your heating system surely? I suppose it would save in the long run, but there would still be s substantial initial cost involved.