Healthy Eating in Las Vegas

Discussion in Travel started by sandees • Aug 20, 2012.

1. sandees

sandeesMember

Threads:
    I'm going to Las Vegas in a few weeks. Last time I was there, I don't recall seeing any grocery stores on the Strip. My friends and I are trying to eat healthy.. we will indulge in the buffet and Cheesecake Factory.. but one girl wants to maintain her diet and we're looking for low-carb healthy dining options. Are there any on the strip? Or do we have to get out of the Strip?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are no grocery stores on the Strip. Las Vegas does have Trader Joe's and Whole Food stores. Also, there are Walmart Local Grocery stores that are much smaller than a regular Walmart. They sell grocery items and household cleaning items. The typical stuff you would find in a grocery store. These Walmart stores also carry lots of organic produce and healthy items. I'm not sure how easy it will be getting to these stores without a car. Also, September is the hottest month in Las Vegas and my friends have told me that this summer has been especially hot!

Most buffets have some healthy items. Unfortunately, they are right next to the tempting not so healthy items.

3. toughtrasher

toughtrasherNew Member

Threads:
    I live in Las Vegas and for the most part, it's a great city (just extremely hot weather..)
    If I remember correctly, the buffets around downtown always offer healthy options like seafood and a great mix of veggies.

4. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Sandees, thank you for asking this question. I will be visiting Las Vegas in a few weeks as well and I do not want to break my current healthy eating habits. I'm looking forward to any information other posters will share.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    This sums up pretty much everything I was going to say. There are ones off the strip, but you won't find anything right on it. And really, you can stay on a diet anywhere you go to eat. It's about resisting the temptation of the other things available to you, though, and that's all mind control on your side. The options are there to choose.

6. toughtrasher

toughtrasherNew Member

Threads:
    Completely agree. OP, you should be able to go to any restaurant, anywhere, and still have a healthy diet included.
    It's not like any restaurant would force you to eat the unhealthy stuff, unless of course that's all they offer (which is not the case in Vegas).
    Good luck.

7. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    Well I've never been to Vegas, however, if you don't actually want to sit down and pay for a meal somewhere, you could always just bring a meal replacement/protein type bar like a Cliff Bar or some healthy trail mix and some fruit. And then just save dinner for more the more indulgent meals. We often did that for a lunch or breakfast on the go when I was traveling around Europe, and then we would just have a nice dinner somewhere.

8. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    You will have to go to the normal places everyone else goes and make better choices. Every restaurant has something you can make into a healthy meal; get a salad or grilled chicken. It isn't a hard solution. Why don't you go on vacation and have some fun instead of worrying about the diet? You are going to be doing so much walking that you will need to fuel up properly, and a salad with 3 croutons won't cut it.

9. sandees

sandeesMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the tips. I did some research and couldn't find many grocery stores near the strip. Since I'm taking the bus from Flagstaff I think we're going to stock up on some fruits before we leave for Vegas.
    I think the problem is the temptation! There's so much good food (I'm a "foodie") but the last couple of times I've been to Vegas, I definitely indulged too much and my stomach hated me. I can deal with that. My friend just joined weight watchers a couple of months ago, and is worried about 'falling off the wagon'. So, we decided to see if it was possible to eat healthy.

I think Vegas is synonymous with excess: More food, more shopping, more drinking, etc. It's like once you're there, you can't help yourself!!!

10. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with some of the posters above. I've been to Vegas 6 times and although the strip is always building new hotels I don't recall any grocery stores. I would suggest your friend hit up the buffets and stick to the veggies, fruits and salads. A great buffet (not far from the strip) is the Rio Grande Buffet at Hotel Rio. Man you'll be stuffed for days! Enjoy your trip.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's completely intentional! Most tourists won't venture far off the Strip or past the Downtown Experience.

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I'm planning on going to Vegas in September and have heard of some really great organic and vegetarian eateries about 15 minutes outside of the strip. I looked up menus and it looks like you can eat a healthy breakfast for under $5 a person. I'm excited to go and just relax. I have never been and I live in LA.

13. supergirl

supergirlMember

Threads:
    Yeah this is what my friend said as well! There are plenty of options available, it just requires you to shop around a bit.

14. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    If your down on Fremont there are a few places that serve shrimp cocktails for $1-2. They are a great snack and low in cals.

15. kalasin

kalasinMember

Threads:
    I live in Las Vegas! There are MANY great places to eat here. Do you have an idea of where you'll be staying and what you plan to do while you're here? I can absolutely get you ideas and even collect menus if need be. I totally understand wanting to eat healthy without breaking the budget while on vacation.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The Rio is kind of known for it's seafood buffet. You can't really go wrong with Sushi. I know this might sound kind of crazy, but there are McDonalds on the strip too, if you stick with their low fat salad items. They would be cheap too. There are some convenience stores on the strip that might have a few snack items, you could always get like some pretzels or something if you get the munchies. They may even have some pre-made deli sandwiches.