Have You Written And Sold Any E-books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Zyni • Jul 26, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was thinking the other day that this would be a cool way to make money to buy more books. E-books tend to cost little, so people are more likely to buy them. You could sell them, and hopefully in enough volume to make some extra money. Then, you could use that money for books, or even trade e-books with others, for your reading pleasure. If successful, you'd have more money for other things as well, and with this site, you could find great savings for the things you want to buy with your extra money.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Though yes writing and selling Ebooks can be a good way to make a little more money which can be used to buy more books or even other things you might need, there's the fact that you'll need to do some marketing in order to sell the books a task which most who'd like to write and sell ebooks find rather daunting.

That said I haven't yet written or tried to sell any ebooks but I might.

3. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I've written a children's e-book. I just published it a little over a week ago, I'm still really excited about this journey and I'm really blessed that I have my daughter as my illustrator and graphic designer. I've written several stories over the years and I plan to release more e-books and hopefully release a few books in print.

I think you should just take the plunge and give it a try. If you need help learning about how to format or create one, you can always find a course on Udemy. Who knows, you might find a free class like I did. Good luck with the book and much success to you!

4. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    Ebooks seems like a good way to go when it comes to publishing, especially for new authors. I haven't published an ebook, but it would be nice to try. My problem is that I can never finish any of the stories I write. Perhaps I should work on short stories instead of full blown novels because I have several novels that I merely started so I'm far from the actual publishing process. As Denis Hard said, it would be necessary to work on publicity as well so that people find and buy the book which requires quite some time so I don't know if it would exactly be a way to earn fast, easy money.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have published a couple of e-books, but the intent was not solely to make money, but to get an Amazon author page for SEO. Pricing is important and under a dollar does work better for sales. You don't get much from the sales depending on which structure you choose, but marketing takes longer and is an ongoing process.

6. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Writing an e-book is actually one of my goal ever since I tried to do online work, but I never had the chance to pursue it though. I'm still trying to learn and get a grasp of it right now but if I get a chance in the future then why not? I think it's a good source for passive income once it sells. :)

7. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    E-books don't take much effort to produce. So, it's very easy to get them published. However, there tons of them nowadays and you have to stand out in order to start make a living off them. Or, at the very least, you gotta have a great promo that gets you noticed.

I think it's worth trying to write an E-book. At least, to try. Having an idea to pursue is key, though.

8. clair02

clair02Member

Threads:
    I have written a couple of ebooks and put them on Amazon kindle. I sell them or only $0.99 so I am not making much. I have plans to write more books and sell them at a higher price in the future and I think that is really going to make a nice stream of passive income for me.

9. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    I've written an ebook that I've sold. It's kind of hard to get traffic though. But it's definitely worth your time if you want to be a professional writer. I wrote a fictional story but I'm sure there is still money to be made writing non-fiction.

10. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I have always wanted to expand my horizons a little bit and start to get more into this market, both buying and selling, but particularly selling. I am not really sure where to start though, so I am glad to read some of the responses above, and thank you for all of that. The options are certainly out there, I just need to look around a little more.

11. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I have written and published couple of ebooks, these books are available on Amazon. The first ebook I published was a collection of a narrative poem and flash fictions and the second ebook, which is also available as print on demand book, is a children book.

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a book ready but I am not yet sure how to get it published. In fact I am working on this book for last 3 years and have almost completed it with 100 posts with self taken travel related pictures. I am afraid of having it published because I am not yet sure whether it would do well if I publish it as an e-book or should I go for a print edition.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too have published e-books on smashwords.com. You got to a lot of marketing your e-books or get a professional to do the marketing for you. Some sites like Kindle has marketing help, but you have to have your e-books only at Kindle. That's what you have to watch for when you publish your e-books the specs of each site is different. Smashwords.com is just one publishing platform for e-books. If you're thinking of writing an e-book go for it and enjoy the credits to your name, now you'll be an author. Make sure you remember to leave your profits from your e-books in a will too, so your profits will go to someone that you want it to go to.

14. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Iv'e never written or sold an e-book. However, I think selling e-books is a tough venture. It's difficult to get anyone to buy anything nowadays without credibility, and on top of that, it has to be spectacular. Iv'e always wondered how many e-books are sold on places like DigitalPoint.com, but there isn't any way to know the exact number. It only shows e-books that are labeled highest sellers.

Definitely selling e-books would be a cool way to make money if one was successful. It's not to difficult to compose one, assuming you have a lot of knowledge on a certain subject.

Anyhow, another route to go involves giving away a free e-book or some other type of free information. In that case, you could use the scenario to increase the quality of your blog and increase traffic. Plus with free stuff, credibility and/or the pitch to get you to download matters a lot less cause it's free.

15. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I've written a few stories, but I've never published them. :cool:

Myabe for a little bit fear of not receiving the criticisms well or for not even believing that the story is so good to the point of being published.

Maybe one day... Who knows?! :p

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not sure if it would make any money for me but I am in the process of writing one book having one hundred chapters. Each of them a different Indian travel destination with first hand experiences of the destination in 400-500 words, 2-3 self taken photographs. I am not yet sure whether to publish it as an eBook or approach a publisher.

17. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have been thinking about doing this for some time, and I think that before I get into anything like this I like to know what the environment is, and I just have not done that enough. The last thing I need is to spend a bunch of time on something and have nothing come from it.

18. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    It can be quite difficult to get a traditional publisher interested in your work so self publishing in an e-book format is a great idea. With self publishing, you have to do your own marketing, unless you employ a professional marketer to do that for you. traditional publishers are also looking around the e-book platforms for writers who have written a book they want to publish. Publishing in e-book format can give a lot of chances so it's well worth going ahead.

19. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I have not yet written an e-book due to the commitment in the amount of
    time involved. You might even be forced to hire someone to look at
    some aspects like formatting to make it professional. Otherwise, they
    come with agreeable benefits, they are cheap and once you publish one,
    you don't incur other expenses, a user only needs to download.

20. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I have written plenty of ebooks and sold them. But this year not much sales happened. I guess I have to write more books. And also have to publish more attractive content. I have not much written the short stories. And that's something I should try I guess because it seems to be paying many. And it seems like a good idea for anyone who is trying to get more content out there. That's something to consider as well.