Have you ever bought or sold on Craigslist?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by SEA81 • May 19, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Agreed. You're going to have to give a bit more info if you're going to make statements like that. Yes, bad things -can- happen, but don't exaggerate them either. You can get robbed, raped, or murdered just walking down the street. Taking precautions to keep yourself safe is key regardless of the interaction.

2. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I have had to move cities quite a few times and each time I usually put whatever I don't want anymore or can't take anymore on craigslist. It's always gone pretty easy and in my opinion is better than Ebay because you don't have to bother with shipping and you get your money right away instead of having to wait!

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    That's easily solved by meeting in a public place rather than at somebody's (or your own) house, isn't it?

4. graven29

graven29New Member

Threads:
    I have bought and sold on Craigslist. When I updated our phones from iPhone 3 to 4 I sold our 4's on Craigslist for good money. You can usually sell for a reduced price from a store selling the same item, but more than you would get selling the item to a store. And likewise - you can get the items for less than you would pay in a store, so it is really win-win. Of course, you get the item as is. As for scammers, I almost laugh at them. The number of people on mission in Africa renting property in Hawaii is astronomical!! But Craigslist is good about warning you of exactly what to avoid.

5. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Wouldn't your husband do better finding a site for real collectors or eBay for selling his collection? Has he tried a card shop? He might be cheating himself a bit with Craigslist. Has he done a proper valuation of his cards or does he just want to get rid of them?

6. missnc35

missnc35Member

Threads:
    Craigslist is a good place to sell unwanted thigs, however beware of the dangers that comes with meeting strangers. I often sell my things on Craigslist, but I usually bring someone with me and I make sure we meet in a public place like a busy Starbucks. When I post the ad, I usually don't put my phone number on it so I don't have it floating around on the internet. I require people to e-mail me so I can weed out the non-serious buyers.

7. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought and sold a few things. I just hate the cheapskates that trying to get something for free from you. I had some sizeable gift cards for a sports store that I was selling at a decent price. The losers with the relentlessness emails wanting 90% off the gift cards value was staggering. I guess you have to put up with a bit of it. When I buy things I don't haggle to the point of insanity.

I always bring somebody along as well and meet at a coffee shop parking lot where there are lots of people going in and out.

8. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard such things involved in Craiglist. Can you actually just gave us proofs or written reports about this? I am thinking that maybe you have just something against that site.

9. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    No, it does happen - in fact there was a serial killer operating off of there for a time. I mean think about it: you are trusting some random person to meet you alone with money or product. That just sort of screams set up which is why I don't deal with the site. As for proofs - you can always try Google.

10. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I sold all my furniture and some odds and ends on craigslist. I saw some real characters come and go,... it was well lets just say amusing. We are moving our store this month, and I am in the process of selling a bunch a stuff again. It works better than the regular newspaper these days.

11. suzeysplace

suzeysplaceNew Member

Threads:
    I have done both on Craigslist. So far, I've not had any negative experiences when dealing with others, but I have noticed while browsing Craigslist, there are tons of scams, and a lot of fake ads. A friend of mine was recently looking for a rental home in the area and there are even scams listed everywhere in the housing listings. He even had someone try to talk him into sending a deposit on a house to them via Western Union. Imagine that! It's a good thing he's got enough knowledge not to do something like that, but you never know when there's a scammer just lurking, waiting to take advantage of someone. It's always good to be cautious when buying or selling anywhere online.

12. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried buying or selling anything on Craigslist even though I do browse through it sometimes. The most in depth I got with it was when we found someone selling my brother's stolen Magic: the Gathering cards on there. These people were so blatant with the pictures they posted of the items. They didn't even bother to get rid of the casings and binders or anything that belonged to my brother. I'm very unsure of what people are selling on there because you never know if it's something that was stolen or anything like that.

13. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, Craiglist is an excellent place to sell anything. Hundreds of thousands of people go through Craiglist every day so no matter what you're selling you'll have some interest. Be careful when buying things off there as I've heard it's been a place for scammers to dwell, just like any other selling platform. Some people just want to capture your email address when you reply to an advertisement and then bombard you with spam so be careful.

14. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    In Canada I've used the craigslist alternative, Kijiji. I've sold a little amount of stuff threw there, I've never bought. But the people I've meet with always have paid very fast, and I would love to deal with again.

I would use Kijiji if your in Canada, its run by eBay, but its all free.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, Kijiji is pretty good, too. Somewhat unrelated, it's a good place to check for jobs, too. :)

16. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    There was a recent story of a man who saw his bike (stolen) being sold and set up a meeting with the thieves. Instead of paying them he cheerfully stole the bike back and rode off. As you might imagine there were no charges pressed.

17. MyOCDisMild

MyOCDisMildMember

Threads:
    I've bought one item from e-bay, an appliance for a family member, and as I understand, it worked fine for a couple of years, well enough for a used
    product anyway. Even though this was generally a 'good buy' for craigslist, I've heard some horror story that would curl the greasiest hair. I feel like
    I got lucky, and the only way I'd buy anything else from craigslist was if it was so cheap to not buy it would seem criminal.

18. bellamamma

bellamammaNew Member

Threads:
    Did you just say RAPED? I have NEVER seen any news stories about people being RAPED form putting ads out on Craigslist...way to scare someone off! If you were trying to scare the person who originally posted the question, I think it worked!! Can you please update your post, sir? Pretty please? Anyways, I bought my car on Craigslist! I got TOTALLY scammed! First, it was a beautiful older Toyota Camry. It has under 90k miles on it. I had 10k to spend, but I really wanted a good engine. I wasn't looking for a newer car with hyped up junk for a big price tag. I wanted this car! So I got it, and the whole time the seller talked about how he loved America and he would never rob anyone, blah blah blah. The guy was a mechanic and I figured it was awesome b/c that meant he would of always kept up with car maintenance. The car BROKE DOWN on the way home!! Luckily I had extra money and my step father works in auto body and can do mechanic work. My father told me that the guy that sold me the car just rigged it. He rigged the car just enough so it would drive real real smooth when I bought it. But he didn't rig it enough to get me home....

19. LaCookie

LaCookieNew Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with that. I've sold textbooks over Craigslist and I've always asked that they meet me in person in a very public place to make the transaction. I also ensure I have someone coming in with me (usually someone pretty tough looking :p) because you never know who you'll meet from the internet. I think meeting in person is the best way to make sure you don't get scammed out of your sale. I've yet to have a problem so far.

20. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I have done both...bought and sold on Craigslist. The key to keep yourself safe both physically and financially is to apply the golden rule: if it sounds too good to be true, it is...period. Don't think that everything you see on Craigslist is a legitimate deal...if something is priced well below market value or if the seller will only talk to you via email OR they ask for cash up front...buyer beware. Sellers need to also understand that hacing strangers come to your home to view an item you have for sale can be risky, so try to meet in a well populated place so that you don't have to bring them to your home whenever possible.