Have you ever been to Italy?

Discussion in Travel started by xStylezx • Aug 25, 2012.

1. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    Has anyone ever visited Italy,or currently live there? I've been studying Italian off and on for a while and would be nice to have some more insight into Italy and the Italian culture as a whole. I know I can Google this,but I would love to hear from native Italians or those that have frequently visited there. I'm part Italian and I would love to learn more about my heritage,as I've unfortunately never been able to travel there. I have hopes to go within the next year though.

2. supergirl

supergirlMember

Threads:
    I have been to Rome and found it incredibly busy. There is plenty to see in the way of historical sites and loads of places to go and eat over priced Italian food. My friend studied in Florence and says that is much nicer and less hectic. In fact, she loves it so much she goes back annually. She says that people are a lot friendlier and you are less likely to be pick-pocketed. However, my experience is that the entire country can at first appear to be quite pretentious.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    No, I have not ever been to Italy. I know quite a few people who went there and only had nice things to say about it. It sounds like it is a really beautiful place to visit and even stay. Also, it is in Europe and many people I know speak very highly of Italy. Just wish I had the money to go there...but I do not and I just have to accept that.

4. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    Italy is on an incredibly long list of places I want to visit. It will take years for me to see all of the places I want to see - that's why I'm trying to get my website up and going on autopilot!. I think literally at least once a week I add someplace to see to my list of places to visit. I will say this: You cannot gauge how much you will like or dislike a place you visit based on what other people say about it. Everyone's experiences are unique. A place that I say I couldn't stand, you may say you love it and can't wait to go back. If you want to go - then go.

5. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I have been to Italy, and it was great. There are beautiful things and original Italian food :)
    I had a blast in Italy. There are a lot of things to see and do. It is a busy place but if you are into that you would definitely enjoy the trip.
    One downfall, however, is a lot of the Italians were rude to my family and I because we are Americans. Maybe it was just that particular area, but nobody there was overly nice to us.
    I hope you get to go, it is an awesome place :)

6. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I used to live there for the summers when I was growing up. The day after school ended I would be in Italy and then would be back a few days before school started again. What would you like to know? Giving insight is a little hard and vague unless you can give some more information about what you like or want out of it.

I lived near Naples and in Rome and would split up the time between families but I love Rome and tried to spend some more time there so I could take as much of it in as possible.

7. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    I'm interested in things like where you would pick up some groceries? Are there small little markets or chain stores? Also, and I guess I could Google this but what type of fast food chains if any are there? I've heard the Pizza is amazing, I know cliche, but I just have to ask? I'm sure ill come up with more later. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have never been to Italy, but have only dated Italian men in my whole life. Haha I have always wanted to go and I think when I do go I will probably rent a villa. There is a website, rentavilla.com, that has villas for $1000 USD a week. Pretty affordable and these villas are large and great for groups. If you can get a group going then you will save tons that way. Happy travels!

9. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I've never been to Italy but it is a dream destination of mine! Hubby and I would love to take a honeymoon there (if we were rich). I'm fascinated by the culture, the food, the history and architecture. I hope you are able to go next year and explore your heritage and have a great adventure!

10. sandees

sandeesMember

Threads:
    Yes, 8 yrs ago (a trip back is way overdue!). My cousin and i started from the North of Italy to the south. I loved Sienna and Rome. Venice was nice too, but I found it really expensive. After speaking to a local (many people who work in Venice, don't live there!) - everything is expensive in Venice because items (food, daily essentials, etc..) need to be shipped in.

The shopping and food was fantastic. It was the first trip I took where I learned you can have lots of fun, doing absolutely nothing. In Rome, we went to the Trevi fountain almost every day, with our gelato, and watch the world go by. So much fun.

You should definitely go visit.

11. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    Wow, nice! I like all the replies and stories so far. It definitely seems like I got to make sure and make this happen soon! Sandees I like your comment about the fountain in Rome and watching the world go by, it sounds amazing!

12. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    Markets on the weekends; usually Sunday where you can go shopping and get some stuff like that. They have a few super market chains but even those are pretty small and homey, most of the stuff is still going to have a personal tough and not a big corporate feel.

Fast food has mainly the American brands...Burger King and McDonalds are huge there but I can't recall many others. The pizza is amazing but it is hard to find the great ones because every place has it. They have food trucks with pizza ovens and fresh, cold fruit carts with huge slices of watermelon. In some of the little towns they have feasts in the summer with tons of street food and dancing and stuff.

Definitely try the gelato (ice cream) because the Italians have perfected it. As great as the food will be, the desserts are probably even better.

13. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    Italy is on my list but i have never been. What I am hoping for the same as you to see more than just the tourist sites. I want to experience the culture as well. I figure that I will need more than a week or two to get the appreciation of the city that I want to walk away with.

14. kalasin

kalasinMember

Threads:
    I have been to many places in Italy. Rome, Venice, Amalfi, Positano, Capri, Bari, and Sorrento just to name a few. I have family in Bari and Sorrento. It was a great experience. The Amalfi Coast is probably my favorite place in the entire world. Venice, meh. The novelty of water taxis wears off fast and then you realize you're in a small, rainy city with not much to do. Rome is busy but I found it to be the city most welcoming of foreigners. Bari & Capri were a little more, "you guys are in the way" type of attitude.

15. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    No, I've never been to Italy but it's definitely one of the places on my wish list. I've heard a lot about Italy from friends who've been there and seen pictures, etc. It's simply beautiful, with breathtaking views. I definitely want to visit Rome, Venice and Milan.

16. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I spent a lot of time in the Lake Garda area when I went on a field trip with the history faculty from University. I was a mature student, and we stayed in a campsite on Lake Garda. It was very handy to visit Verona, Venice, Padua and Mantua, where we saw all the frescoes and paintings in the churches and palaces. There are some great independent pizza and pasta restaurants which are much cheaper than the larger chains. The supermarkets are very cheap as well, so you can eat well on a budget.

17. hsandez

hsandezNew Member

Threads:
    I visited Italy with the intention of travelling from north to south during my week long trip there but I just fell in love with Rome so I ended up spending my whole time there. It really is a magical place. The history, the buildings, the people, the language, and the food it really is all something you have to experience for yourself. My favorite part was walking through the forums which are in the shadow of the Coliseum. My next favorite part was the food. I thought American Italian food was good. There is no comparing. Something that surprised me was that the Pizzas were different than what we are used to. They are thinner over there but really really good.

18. Mikered25

Mikered25Member

Threads:
    I personally have never been to Italy before. I have heard some great thngs about the country and I would like to take a vacation there someday. I have always wanted to know how Italy's education system is sustained, and how much is their cost of living. I would like to see how their economy is holding up, or is the job market in Italy self sufficient than in the United States. It has always fascintated me to see other countries and learn their ways of living.

19. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    No, I have never been to Italy. But I can imagine that it would be a grand place to visit, the food, the culture, the landscape, the entire experience, would be wonderful.. Perhaps someday I will be lucky enough to go there.

20. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I have been to Italy once in my life. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I enjoyed all the beautiful attractions. My family was very happy with the hotel and the verbal trip. It was definitely an experience I will never forget and something I will cherish for a lifetime.